• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Latest and Best Android phone

notyamaan

Lurker
Aug 4, 2012
I am looking for the best and latest android phones. Assuming chinese phones adapt to the latest technology before any major brands, would prefer smartphones from china as they will be less expensive as well.

Following are the minimum features I am looking at

1. 1.5 Ghz processor (2 Ghz preferred)
2. Preferably quadcore (but since the OS and softwares will take ages to catch up with quadcore, I am ok with dual core as well)
3. HD Display (prefer retina display if possible). between 4 to 5 inches screen
4. Android 4.x
5. Dual camera (front and back) with good quality resolution (5/2 mbpx will do)
6. 1 GB DDR3 RAM (note sure if 2GB is already available)
7. 8 GB ROM (16/32 GB preferred) with possibility of extension
8. Dual SIM with Dual standby
9. TV (not a must feature but will prefer if exists)
10. At least 1900mAh battery
11. I suppose with the above specs the rest of the features like BT, Wifi, GPS etc is assumed will be there by default.

a) It may be possible that phones with the above specs are not available today. But is there anyone closest to the above specs available?

b) Also any idea when do we expect phones with these specs to hit the market?

Regards,
Amaan

Not familiar with Chinese phones, but it looks like the Galaxy S3 is going to be your closest bet. Keep an eye out for the Note 2 announcement as well.
Those are some really high standards. Is there anything in particular you need to do? Many Androids that fall short from those specs are very capable.

Upvote 0
HTC One X (tegra 3 version) has most of that stuff, no dual sim though and battery is a little less powerful than that. I think Huawei and Motorola also do phones with specs similar to what you want.

Nvidia Tegra 3 Quad-core 1.5 GHz
Super IPS LCD2 capacitive touchscreen, 16M colours, 720 x 1280 pixels, 4.7 inches (~312 ppi pixel density) Best screen I've ever seen.
Android 4 (soon to be upgradable to 4.1 Jelly Bean, confirmed by HTC)
Primary camera 8 MP, 3264x2448 pixels, autofocus, LED flash, Simultaneous HD video and image recording, geo-tagging, face and smile detection. Secondary 1.3 MP, 720p
Internal 32 GB (26 GB user-available) storage, 1 GB RAM
Standard battery, Li-Po 1800 mAh

Upvote 0
1. There are no 2Ghz phones in existence from major manufacturers, and any 2Ghz phone a chinese ripoff may show you still won't be as fast as a 1.5ghz quad core from Nvidia or Samsung
3. anything with above 300ppi is actually almost indiscernible from each other.
6. Mobile devices can't use DDR3 RAM technologies. These aren't laptops. Even a quad core mobile processor for a phone is just approx the same performance as a single core 1.6Ghz Intel Atom.
9. TV on a phone is present only in Chinese phones that don't have the other features you want. Unless you mean streaming TV via the internet.

Basically the specs you are looking for exists in the Galaxy S3, and the HTC One X. Except for TV, but that spec will never happen anyway, since TV technology is moving to digitalized content.

Upvote 0
thanks man.
i am not looking at anything to do in particular. but i use lot of apps like office, pdf, video conference etc and feel that if i have phone with these specs, it will be a bit stable. less than above specs and the phone may die..
also, multiple sim is must. dont wanna carry multiple phones. Already have this bulky blackberry torch with me from my company.
so S3 and One X seem closest bet, but still not fitting my need. plus they are very expensive right now... thats y i asked if anyone is aware of any chinese brand including huawei...xiaomi etc

Upvote 0
1. There are no 2Ghz phones in existence from major manufacturers, and any 2Ghz phone a chinese ripoff may show you still won't be as fast as a 1.5ghz quad core from Nvidia or Samsung
3. anything with above 300ppi is actually almost indiscernible from each other.
6. Mobile devices can't use DDR3 RAM technologies. These aren't laptops. Even a quad core mobile processor for a phone is just approx the same performance as a single core 1.6Ghz Intel Atom.
9. TV on a phone is present only in Chinese phones that don't have the other features you want. Unless you mean streaming TV via the internet.

Basically the specs you are looking for exists in the Galaxy S3, and the HTC One X. Except for TV, but that spec will never happen anyway, since TV technology is moving to digitalized content.
Thanks Chanchan.

Well i understand the TV part and it is not a must..ofcourse live streaming is the trend nowadays. but with the slow performance things just keep buffering e.g. youtube videos. have seen only iphone running excellent streaming but everyone knows the restrictions iOS has...
So if mobile phones can't use DDR3 RAM technology, what is the latest available for mobiles?

Upvote 0
Ok YES there are very powerful phones out there, galaxy s3, HTC one x to name a few.

However powerful doesn't always mean best, and when you look at it that way, The Galaxy Nexus (imo) is the 'Latest and greatest'

Why?
Vanilla Android is the main reason. Because its directly made by google (credits to Samsung for hardware), it always receives the latest updates (the famous JellyBean), has the most development work (roms, kernels, and so on due to the true android open source nature of vanilla android), and is the most optimized (games and apps usually use stock vanilla android to optimize there software, so your a lot less likely to have slowdowns, bugs, crashes with a vanilla android phone).

Sure its a dual core CPU and not quad core, but because it us influenced directly by Google, its probably your best bet.

Upvote 0
I've had no issues buffering you tube videos and I have set them to automatically load in HD mode. Any slowness in streaming you experience is not the phone's fault. Your network is slow, that's all.
Na Chanchan its not the network coz iphone and ipad run excellent streaming videos in the same network but not my pad although the specs are much better than ipad....

Upvote 0
I first had the Droid Razr, lost it, then decided to buy the Razr Maxx. The battery life is unbelievable. For me, that is a very important factor. The processor and all the other specs are great on it. In my opinion, it comes down to the Samsung Galaxy SIII or the Razr Maxx. Personally, if given the option to trade for free, I would stick with my Maxx primarily because of how long the battery lasts.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones