Latest EVO update may fix Pandora Radio..etc codec play

Last Updated:

1. Fandroidboy

Fandroidboy Active Member This Topic's Starter

I did the ran the EVO update this morning and tried Pandora immediately after and the sound quality is much better on the "normal" setting. Seems to be back to pre-froyo update before it got @#$@ up. Is anyone else seeing this after running the update. If you have Slacker or etc try it out may you will be pleasantly surprised!!

Advertisement
    s_special and chum1600 like this.
  2. flyjbaker

flyjbaker Well-Known Member

I am installing as I type but I sure hope you are correct!!!

3. Fandroidboy

Fandroidboy Active Member This Topic's Starter

How did it go flyjbaker?? Sound better or not? Been listening to it all morning. Just using ear buds so I'll have to check how it does in the car before I am totally sold...

4. chum1600

chum1600 Well-Known Member

This is correct. I just tried it and after the 2.2 update I had terrible sound, but now its back to the way it used to be.

I guess HTC tried to hide this fix under other ones.

5. R1_Rydah

R1_Rydah Well-Known Member

*bookmark*

6. rockinbboy

rockinbboy Active Member

Does the 9/22 HTC over the air (OTA) froyo update 2 (version 3.29.651.5) fix the wave file playback issue discovered in the original froyo upgrade back in August?

For anyone not familiar, when we got our 2.1 upgraded to Froyo 2.2, we lost the ability to playback .wav files with the standard music player. So if you get corporate emails or other emails with voicemail attachments as wave files, you weren't able to play them since the software didn't recognize them.

Waiting on confirmation!!

ceabbott2 likes this.
  7. ceabbott2

ceabbott2 Well-Known Member

+1 Great question

8. daystrom

daystrom Well-Known Member

Nope, I run an Exchange 2007 server with Cisco Unity voicemail. Still no go on voicemails on the Evo after the update.

9. Brian Rubin

Brian Rubin Well-Known Member

Oohhh, I've not tried it yet but that's awesome to know. Thanks!

10. dornier

dornier Well-Known Member

I noticed the following behavior with Pandora since the 9/22 update:

1) Music sounds much better

2) Previously, just about each music track wouldn't play all the way through, but with the 9/22 update the tracks play to the end.

3) If I'm playing music, then select home and try to do something else with the phone the track will skip to the next track and/or stop.

4) While using bluetooth audio in my car (Parrot system), music will ocassionaly stop playing. What's interesting is that the program indicates that the music is playing, but there's no sound playing. It's always fixed by pressing pause on the Pandora app, then pressing play after a second or two. The 9/22 firmware did not fix this.

Much better than before, but still needs a fix. Not sure if it's a phone issue or a Pandora issue.

11. takirb

takirb Well-Known Member

I switched from Pandora to Last.fm after the 2.2 update due to the pausing/stopping of streaming music. I noticed it only happened after the screen timed out. I thought it was a Pandora problem, but Last.fm started doing the same thing as well. I just downloaded an app called "KeepScreen" from the market last night that will keep the screen on when a pre-selected app is running, and Last.fm seemed to have worked correctly today. I'm not sure if it's due to the update or the KeepScreen app, but worth a shot at trying if you still experience random pausing/stopping in Pandora or any other music player.

edwelly likes this.
  12. teky

teky Well-Known Member

Yep, I noticed it...HUGE difference. They fixed so much with this update, it's unreal. Whole new phone.

marctronixx likes this.
  13. s_special

s_special Well-Known Member

wow, thanks for posting! i'll give Pandora a shot again!! i think it sounds better too!! awesome!

14. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

i have a hero and been running Froyo.. CM2.2.
    since I updated.. i have had issues with my pandora music. Now I know why. I was thinking it was some setting.

i cant wait till CM Incorporated into their ROM.

15. MegaManR

MegaManR Member

pandora and rhapsody user here. listened to them both and they sound good now, instead of that am radio quality garbage it used to be after the last update.

16. Scott1620

Scott1620 Member

Yes Pandora sounds a lot better with the new update after 2.2 screwed it up. So glad I can listen to pandora in my car again without my ears bleeding :)

17. GiftedPlacebo

GiftedPlacebo Well-Known Member

Fixed it for me! I had purchased a separate app just to fix this problem, but I just listened to a VM using the native app after the update. Yeah!

18. daystrom

daystrom Well-Known Member

Was the VM from a corporate VM system? If so do you know what hardware is used?

Like I said above I am the Exchange admin and VoIP/Unity admin where I work. The latest update did not fix the VM issue for me.

I can change the backend codec used for VM's that Unity uses but I don't know what that'll break on other clients :confused:

19. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest

I may have to give Pandora a second chance. I switched from Pandora to Slacker which has its own faults (ads, force closes) but at least streaming music sounded good over my car stereo.

20. mrvirginia

mrvirginia Well-Known Member

looks like i need to upgrade to a 3.29 based ROM since there are so many tweaks that weren't detailed in the release notes. not looking forward to it though since i modded the crap out of my current ROM.

21. Droidone

Droidone Well-Known Member

Fresh's 3.2 rom has has this fix for a while now. Stagefright is what makes the sound much better on the new build. This is in his newest 3.3 rom and the older but still pretty new 3.2 rom.

22. zombdroid

zombdroid Well-Known Member

I am a Pandora one subscriber and listen via my EVO at least 2 hours a day. Though I think the problem is a little better, it still exists.

On day one of the update, Pandora locked up twice. Today, Pandora aborted at least 3 songs on my commute home.

23. ARR22

ARR22 Well-Known Member

I have confirmed that the sound quality has vastly improved with this update. For those of you using juice defender, i noticed that once my screen went off it would finish the current track but it refused to go on to the next track in pandora or slacker. What i discovered is that juice defender in order to conserve power shuts off the 3g radio or data connection when the phone sleeps. So I disabled it and voila slacker/pandora work just fine. Hope this helps for those that are having problems and have juice defender.

24. sintricate

sintricate Well-Known Member

When I first got my Evo (preloaded with 2.2) Pandora sounded terrible. After the update this week, it sounds a million times better. However, i still hear slight pops in the music and it annoys me to the point where I stopped using it. Does anyone else hear this? I'm on the highest quality setting.

This happens when I turn the volume up in the car to a reasonable level.

25. jamesdean

jamesdean Well-Known Member

You might try this, send the VM to your Gmail account and download that on your phone. I had this same problem last November with the original Droid. Receiving the attachment from our company email using POP3 rendered some sort of error, something like file type not supported. Just for the hell of it I added my Gmail account as a forwarded account from the POP3 and downloaded the VM from there and voila, it has worked perfectly since. Weird I know but it works.