• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Latest firmware update on 3 UK

westbros

Android Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2010
I had my phone hooked up to Kies this morning to upload some photos to my PC. When I looked at my phone a few minutes later I noticed that a new firmware had been downloaded. The thing is, according to both Kies and SamMobile I already have the latest firmware (I9300XXELLA). So does anybody know what this new update is? I have not installed the update yet. If I recall correctly the download is around 46 MB.

Thanks.

I just installed the update OTA, also 3 UK. It was 47.37mb.

Not entirely sure of the difference in terms of features, it all seems the same as it was previously to me, although I expect there must be a feature somewhere.

Here's the screenshots before and after, still 4.1.2, but the Kernel version and build number have changed as below;

Before today's update:

After today's update:

Like I say, not sure what has changed, but if there is a way to check for updated features let me know and I will check for you before you install if you like.

John :)
Old_zps4ec5f1f9.png

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Thanks. I have just Googled the new version, and while there are several references to this firmware being available in Poland, all I can find of any use is a comment on a German Android forum. Somebody has quoted the following:

"Hey, guys! I was on MC3 and now I've flashed MD2 without wipe. Here are my impressions of the ROM;

Differences:

NONE! Absolutely nothing. Even the changelist is the same as MC3.

Negatives/Unresolved Issues/Bugs:
  1. Home button to prevent screen timeout still tied to S-Voice.
  2. Widgets drawer still has the initial loading lag.
  3. Multitasking with games is still broken. You can't run two or more medium/heavy games in the background. One of them eventually restarts (if not instantly).
  4. One finger expandable notifications are not present.
  5. Contacts and Phone don't open instantaneously.
  6. When recording a video, left and right audio is switched.
  7. During Pop-up Play, clear type text is turned off and you can see jagged edges everywhere.
  8. Recent Apps Tab still randomly forgets the most recently minimized application.
  9. Shadow redraws on Touchwiz icons occurs when the phone is low on free RAM
  10. Touchwiz can restart when the phone is low on free RAM
  11. NFC toggle bug is present

Recommended or not?:
Optional update. I see nothing different from MC3 (which was essentially the same as MC2). The changelist is also the same as MC3 (both are 1071725). I think that Samsung aren't going to fix any of the big bugs in 4.1.2. We'll have to wait for 4.2.2 for the big update, unfortunately!"

If you want the link, here it is:

[Stock ROM] 4.1.2 Poland [XEO] I9300XXEMD2 - Android-Hilfe.de

Reactions: John P
Upvote 0
There is one BIG change that I have been waiting for :-D

I now have audio out through my USB.

Got a cheep usb to charger/3.5mm jack from ebay a while back but wouldn't even charge through it. Now they have sorted the issues and it works great

U got a link?
I didnt think that would work without some kind of converter since the USB out is digital and the 3.5mm is analogue?

Upvote 0
Thanks mate. Im downloading a EMD2 based rom to flash as we speak so ill check that out.
I just use a headphone to phono jack justnow and i hate how when the phone moves it pOps and crackles. Do you get that with USB connection?

No idea yet, haven't had chance to try it out on a trip. The main thing I noticed was that the volume level needed to be a lot lower when connected through the car than if it was via the headphone socket.

I will give it a try tomorrow and let you know

Upvote 0
Cool thanks man. Ill maybe order one. Did you try wiggling the connector while it was playing?
My home hifi is basicly just a powerful Audio Solutions amplifier with big technics speakers plugged in and i plug the phone into a 3.5mm to Phono (left/right, red/white) but when i move the phone around, it makes teriible noises that are gona end up blowing up the speakers (been there) lol. What id love is a cheap way of doing it wirelessly to my amp :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones