• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Latest Nova Launcher update - fixed widget disappearance problem!!!

twister6

Android Expert
Jul 30, 2010
Funny how a few days ago I was about ready to make a post asking what the heck happened to my Note 2 where my widgets were disappearing off the screen. I'm very heavy into single screen layout with a maximized grid and a lot of resized widgets to have everything at a glance. Nova Launcher Prime is my weapon of choice. A few weeks ago I noticed that randomly some of the widgets start disappearing off my screen. The only way to get it back was to do Clear Memory in Task Manager; that would restore it back.

Obviously I start going down my memory lane recalling what have I installed or updated ever since I noticed this problem. Nova's update was the only thing that made sense. Well, yesterday I saw yet another update pushed from them and it fixed the problem!!!!! So, if anybody else was in the same boat scratching their head for the last few weeks - make sure to get the latest version of Nova Launcher Prime ;)

I left Nova a few months ago because of the memory issues, out of no where my screen would lag and then start freezing up, when back to TW and then no issues all was fine. So stay with TW for a month or so, then I was told to try Apex again as it uses must less resources, and I have not had an issue since, so for me now Apex is the bomb, not saying that Nova is not resolved, but if it ain't broke don't fix it is my motto. ;)

Reactions: twister6
Upvote 0
I agree, stick to what you are comfortable with ;) Changing launchers is a daunting task because you have to go back to restoring everything. That is why I was dreading that I might have to switch to something else. Thankfully they fixed it. I believe they also mentioned memory leak problem as well. I have been with Nova for many years, love scrollable dock and flexibility of a desktop grid up to 16x16 with resizable widgets. Also, very smooth page transition, although I only utilize one screen anyway :)

Reactions: DonB
Upvote 0
I agree, stick to what you are comfortable with ;) Changing launchers is a daunting task because you have to go back to restoring everything. That is why I was dreading that I might have to switch to something else. Thankfully they fixed it. I believe they also mentioned memory leak problem as well. I have been with Nova for many years, love scrollable dock and flexibility of a desktop grid up to 16x16 with resizable widgets. Also, very smooth page transition, although I only utilize one screen anyway :)

Same goes for Apex, they have all those features also

Keep in mind, most Launcher allow to to import your setup to your new launcher, makes it painless ;)

Reactions: twister6
Upvote 0
Hi guys (Twister & Don),

I'm looking at going over to either the Note 2 or 3 so I'm doing a lot of research on both phones. I'm currently on a Razr Maxx HD. I also love Nova Prime and have been using it exclusively for quite some time and would probably like to use it with the N2 or N3.

Is it fair to say that using Nova (or Apex or any other Launcher) over Touchwiz effectively disables many of the N2/3's neat things like using multiple screens, the 'slide out' app bar (forget the actual name) and other things? I'm assuming these are all products of Touchwiz that would not work with an after-market Launcher?

Part of the reason I'm thinking of going over to the N2 or N3 is because of all that screen real estate and the ability to truly multitask. I imagine if I do go over I will start out with the basics anyway but like Twister, I love the scrolling dock and so many other features of Nova. I'd hate to have to choose between the two.

Upvote 0
Hi guys (Twister & Don),

I'm looking at going over to either the Note 2 or 3 so I'm doing a lot of research on both phones. I'm currently on a Razr Maxx HD. I also love Nova Prime and have been using it exclusively for quite some time and would probably like to use it with the N2 or N3.

Is it fair to say that using Nova (or Apex or any other Launcher) over Touchwiz effectively disables many of the N2/3's neat things like using multiple screens, the 'slide out' app bar (forget the actual name) and other things? I'm assuming these are all products of Touchwiz that would not work with an after-market Launcher?

Part of the reason I'm thinking of going over to the N2 or N3 is because of all that screen real estate and the ability to truly multitask. I imagine if I do go over I will start out with the basics anyway but like Twister, I love the scrolling dock and so many other features of Nova. I'd hate to have to choose between the two.

I use Nova Launcher Pro on my rooted Sprint Note 2 and everything you mentioned works just fine. In fact, I'm afraid to try CM, AOSP, or the other variants for fear of losing those TW features.

Upvote 0
Just to add to above posts, yes everything works on N2 with Nova Prime! You can use multi-windows and that "slide" menu as you refer to, s-pen works, etc. But, I can't speak the same about N3 and its additional s-pen functionality. You might want to post this question in N3 forum.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones