Latest version of Swype for Droid?

Last Updated:

1. Dabrador

Dabrador Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

What's the latest version of Swype that works on the Droid? I'm using 0.35.3959 and was wondering if there's something newer out there.

As I understand it, the above version is specific to WVGA phones like the Droid.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

That's the version I have. I've tried two other (newer) versions and neither worked on the DROID.

3. nazz

nazz Well-Known Member

Where could I find this version and how would I get it on my phone?

Thanks in advance.

4. jfe

jfe Well-Known Member

I can't remember where I got mine, but it works very well for the droid, I think I just googled it

5. kbayer

kbayer Well-Known Member

cnjmorris and nazz like this.
  6. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

i am running an old version i presume, but it works

i just googled for it

7. tobiasg

tobiasg Active Member

I have used a swype keyboard for the last three-ish months, installed sometime before Christmas. I had to switch back to the standard keyboard a few days ago - the Swype keyboard would go buggy on my just often enough to be annoying. by buggy I mean it would do symbols even when it showed letters/numbers and the whole keyboard would lock up. This usually happened when it was in the car mount.

Anyone else experience this? It was so damn good at typing what I wanted though.

8. xjestersdeadx

xjestersdeadx Well-Known Member

I couldn't get this version to install right. Weird.

9. Shadowtech

Shadowtech Well-Known Member

There is only the one version. The others that were leaked are for different devices (resolutions). I wouldn't expect to see anything newer as it was not meant to be released to begin with. They made this keyboard app for oem installs, so we'll probably have to wait for a device to come out with it preinstalled and hope it gets ported.

10. radikal

ok, thats kinda what i wondered. its way cool and i used shapewriter before this, it was buggy but i heard it got better. shapewriter would display a Q or A for a long time, wouldn't go away til i rebooted

11. discohornet

discohornet Well-Known Member

I had the same problem. Eventually it doesn't work at all and locks up the whole writing process. I believe it's some kind of cache problem. Happens after a consistent period of time. If i put a new ROM on and get the itch to reinstall it then it works for just about the same amount of time I noticed before (with consistent use of course).

12. tobiasg

tobiasg Active Member

I notice that both keyboards - default and swype are MUCH more likely to act up when my device is plugged into power. In fact my whole touch screen can be REALLY quirky if I am plugged in. Am I the only one?

13. Icedemon

Icedemon Well-Known Member

That's a stock program for the Omnia 2.

14. milrtime83

milrtime83 Well-Known Member

Official beta version available to a limited number of people. Go to Swype | Text Input for Screens to sign up. I got the download link right away.

Version is 1.25.16.5612.t100

15. radikal

thats what i noticed too

16. jfe

jfe Well-Known Member

I am also having issues with it, I am using ShapeWriter now.

magdelaine likes this.
  17. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

I have heard several report this erratic behavior ... but I would chalk it up to faulty chargers, and not the DROID or apps.

18. T-Slice

T-Slice Active Member

I like to switch between swype and the 2.1 keyboard all the time. It would be cool if there were a toggle widget or something to switch between them.

19. Shadowtech

Shadowtech Well-Known Member

Nice, I just got the new open beta version. One thing I immediately noticed that is changed from the leak, for the good, is that it now will continue erasing everything when you backspace. The leak version would only do the previous word and halt.

I'm glad we finally got an update to the version everyone has been using, I just wonder how long until they lock us out of it. At least it looks like they might have changed their mind about the oem only thing.

20. milrtime83

milrtime83 Well-Known Member

Yeah, the backspacing is nice.

I think they just realized that everyone was using it anyway so they might as well make an official beta and get more user input on improvements.

21. Wisdom

Wisdom Well-Known Member

I second this. I had an Motorola AC charger that did the same thing. New charger, no more problem.

22. cavitating

cavitating Active Member

If you tap and hold inside any text box when the keyboard is present, a popup screen will appear with "input method" link, tap that and you can pick between the different keyboards you have installed.

23. bnuge942

bnuge942 Member

so I signed up for the new swipe and it never sent me the e-mail... The reason I did that was I was just at the bar and went to send a message and I got a popup saying that my swipe trial period has expired. I didnt know it was a trial period. Do any of you know how to fix that, do I have to reinstal from my computer or do I just wait and hope my email link from swipe comes in?

24. tobiasg

tobiasg Active Member

I think you are right - strange, or not that strange I guess.

Thanks!

25. tobiasg

tobiasg Active Member

So I uninstalled the original Swype and now have the Swype Beta running- All I get is an error when I try to actually use the keyboard "The Swype package you installed is configured for another device and will operate with limited functionality. I am running a Droid with stock 2.0.1. Am I missing something simple?

EDIT: I see the following on their site
    Q: I registered and downloaded a beta-version Swype but I get one of the following messages:

• "The Swype package you installed is configured for another device"
    • "Your Swype version has expired"
    • "Download of the Package Failed"

A: On your phone, open the "Welcome to the Swype Beta" email and download the Swype-Installer again. Let it replace the existing installer and finish doing the installation again. There was an error in our previous installer version.

will try that!

EDIT: I did try that and it worked fine. Did a restart after uninstalling then reinstalled and works fine now.