• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Latin American phone working in the US?

alockwood

Lurker
Jul 24, 2012
Hi. This might be a tricky question. Here it goes!

I bought a Samsung Galaxy Ace in latin america ( S5830L ), but I'm moving to the US (Minnesota). Will my phone work there?

It's unlocked for all the operators (cellphone service providers) in Venezuela (although with one of them, it doesn't get 3G). That makes 3, knows as Movistar, Movilnet, and Digitel.

Since it's a GSM phone, I would think that there is no problem... but I would like to be sure, because if it won't work, I have to sell it before leaving the country. :thinking:

Something that worries me is that this phone is a latin american edition (notice the L at the end of the code number of the edition). Does it mean that it is meant not to work in other areas?

How do I know if it is unlocked for, say, AT&T? Is there a way to check before actually going there?

Thanks in advance. If any more information is required, don't hesitate to ask.

I looked up your phone model's bands and it will get 3g on AT&T and Straight talk and 2g on T-Mobile. (I'd highly recommend Straight talk instead of AT&T)

If it's unlocked for your providers in Venezuela, it's unlocked for all providers. You should have no issues using it here in the US.

The only problem you may have is you may need to change APN settings to AT&T's or Straight Talk's settings, however, it should be easy enough to find the settings.

Upvote 0
A related problem was detected:

I can't install Pinger (free calls and SMS's in the US) from my latin american version phone.
It says "This item cannot be installed in your country".

I know that app won't work in Venezuela (where I'm from), but I'm not there anymore.
Is there a way to let Google Play know the cellphone is now in the US and thus should be eligible for that installation?

thanks in advance

Alan

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones