Latitude...General

Last Updated:

1. Morkai Almandragon

Morkai Almandragon Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My wife and I both have the Eris and I have noticed something. In google maps each of our phones shows its owner in the right place, however the other person is consistently about 4 blocks to the North East.

This is leading me to believe that Latitude is not using the GPS chips in our phones when broadcasting our location to our friends in Latitude.

Is this normal?

Advertisement
  2. Filipino.Cowboy

Filipino.Cowboy Well-Known Member

It should broadcast dead on, when it has GPS. If in a building you will probably only get cell tower.

3. invincible

invincible Member

the phone uses gps only when google maps is in the foreground, when it is in the background it uses cell tower triangulation, which can be very inaccurate in conjunction with google maps. mine usually shows me 4000 meters from my true position. a purple circle should encircle your true position.

4. gospodinwizard

gospodinwizard Well-Known Member

The GPS is fairly accurate when it has access to the satellites. However, when that access is impeded (weather in a building etc.) you will definitely get odd results. The worst I've seen is when it gave picking a town/area and just said I was in "Maryland".