• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Laude S500

Another Chinese phone copied Samsung S5.
I'm not a fan of Samsung phones, but still not hard to understand why so many Chinese manufacturers are trying so hard to make the copies.
Laude S500, with the price US$89.99, seems attractive, but still, let's see if that was true.
Main Spec:
Screen Size: 5.0"
Screen Resolution: 960 x 540 pixels
Screen Type: 540P, qHD
CPU: Quad core, MTK6582 ARMv7
CPU Frequency: 1.3GHZ
RAM: 1GB
ROM: 4GB
Back Camera Megapixel: Back 2.0 MP, Interpolated 5MP
Front Camera Megapixel: Front 0.3 MP, Interpolated 2MP

So far, I don't think the specifications disappoint me that much expect the camera. When comparing with samsung S5, Laude S500 is without any merit but price. Have to say, you got what you paid.
At last, just want to say that I don't care the camera that much, but please make the screen more clear. If the Chinese market has to live under iPhone or Samsung's shadow, then please try harder and maker better products.

This isn't meant to be a quality product. It's a cheap, probably badly-made, clone to sell to people who want something that looks like an S5 but can't afford the real thing, possibly knocked-off in a backstreet workshop. These things are made because there are people who buy them, it's as simple as that.

If you think those specs aren't disappointing, that's also half the pixel density of the S5, 1/4 of the storage (and you don't know how much of that is free after the OS takes some of it - you may well have 2GB for apps and data and no ability to store apps on SD), a much slower processor, old OS with no chance of any updates ever, and as you noted a camera which would have been embarrassing a decade ago ("interpolated" resolution means nothing).

And of course specs are only part of the story: screen resolution is only one aspect of screen quality, and not necessarily the most important. If the camera was any less hopeless I'd say the same about pixel count (lens, sensor quality and image processing are all at least as important), but you know that one will have a junk lens, ancient sensor tech and poor processing as well. You can play the same game for every element of a phone.

And that assumes it even works, or continues to work for more than a month.

If you want a phone at that price, buy a Motorola E (announced last week). If you want a decent Chinese phone they exist but they cost more than $90.

Upvote 0
Hi, Hadron. Thanks for your reply. You're right, this is a low-end cellphone, you can tell just from the price. Honestly, I didn't have one on hand, so hard to estimate if it was as terrible as you said. But as a Chinese android phone fan, I have to say that some of the Chinese phones (not the famous brand ) did surprise me a lot.
But what I was trying to say is, it's desponding that there're still so many knock-off in China. It must be so great if there could be more brands like Xiaomi, Huawei..or even Smartisan...

Upvote 0
Well basically the S5 is a desirable luxury item in China, that can convey status and wealth. These days I just don't see much real difference between Samsung and Apple to be frank. The S5 and the Note 3 can cost equivalent of around $800 here, and that's why there's so many fakes and knock-offs of them. See also Gucci, Chanel, Cartier, Rolex, Burberry, Dunhill, Giorgio Armani, Louis Vuitton, Tiffany & Co., Marlboro, Nike, YSL, Steinway(yes even fake pianos....LOL!) etc. Although Samsung in their favour do a whole range of phones, to fit all budgets and tastes. The Megas are quite popular now with those who want a large screen phone, but may not be quite so affluent.

I've become a fan of Oppo recently, having just purchased one of their new phones, the Find 7a.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones