• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Launcher lag

ghmerrill

Aug 23, 2010
Im seriously frustrated here... I'm running lfy 1.6 with the stock kernel, have as many apps moved to the sd card as I can, so there is a 101mb of internal memory. I have launcher plus installed, which I really like, but it is constantly lagging- I will close an app, and all my shortcuts are gone, and when I open the app drawer, nothing is there. Sometimes after fifteen seconds or so, it will start filling up with the apps, sometimes the only way for me to get everything back is to go to the launcher settings and re start it. I'm running the beautiful widgets live weather wallpaper, power bar, and wee week widgets, and only 3 screens, so with that much memory, I would think it would be fine.
I've played with settings in launcher, and nothing has made a difference. Anyone have any suggestions? This its uber frustrating!

I learned that all apps don't work properly when forced to the SD card.

Any app that has a widget dont move.

Keep the Launcher off the SD. (whatever it maybe)

Any app that is used often I don't move.

I also noticed that if I have a shortcut on HOME then move the app to SD that that icon is likely to be stressed. Delete the icon then drag a new one after moving to SD helps.

I now will move an app to the SD 1 at a time. Mess with the phone for awhile then reboot. Play some more. Then if no issues move another app.

I am thinking in order to keep refreshness quick a much HIGHER DATA TRANSFER SD is in order.

Upvote 0
I was having the same issues with lfy1.6. I tried everything to fix it but the lag would disappear for a few days the come back again.the last thing I did was mess around with the launcher pro setting to keep memory in longer I believe.since then the lag only happens when I have my keyboard open and I hit my home screen.since I use swype, I rarely open the keyboard anymore.

Upvote 0
Credit to samsonite801 @ DroidForums (but I have seen variations of this script used for the G1 since way back in the day).

This worked like a charm for me. I can't force a screen redraw at all. Played graphic intensive games, did a bunch of multi-tasking...LP is absolutely flying!

If you use ADW or LauncherPro and if after using your browser, email or any other apps for awhile, then if you press the 'HOME' button, if it takes forever to redraw your home screen, and you are sick of that HORRIBLE LAG, then try this: In a terminal, type su and enter. Then type echo ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 >> /data/local.prop and enter. Then reboot. Now evaluate whether or not this fixes your lag. If you want to undo what this command does, simply remove that toggle from: /data/local.prop

Upvote 0
Credit to samsonite801 @ DroidForums (but I have seen variations of this script used for the G1 since way back in the day).

This worked like a charm for me. I can't force a screen redraw at all. Played graphic intensive games, did a bunch of multi-tasking...LP is absolutely flying!

This seemed to work for a few days for me, then the lag returned though not quite as often as it was before, but it does still happen everyday. Mostly if I've been browsing the web for a few minutes, or text messaging for a while, or using gmail for a while... it usually happens when I've been using those for a moderate to extended period of time.

I really don't think there is a fix for this. Rather, the fix would be more RAM, which we won't get on this device, unfortunately. It's aggravating because otherwise my Droid is lightning fast for everything else.

Upvote 0
I dont think there is a fix either.. I do know, for sure, Launcher Pro helped no doubt.

I did not try the above local.prop fix as I read the original thread on that site and it does not work for as many that claim it did work. also, IIRC there are a few downfalls to forcing the app to stay in memory - for example, other apps that then need memory, like the browser, will crash since memory runs out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones