• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Launcher Pro and contacts question

Turdbogls

Android Expert
Jul 22, 2010
O-town Florida
hey everyone...first post here. Just got my droid a couple days ago and i have some questions about launcher Pro and my contacts.

Launcher Pro: i purchased LP and everything works as i want it to, however, whenever i go into phone settings or into the marketplace, and sometimes even the browser, and hit the home button (to bring up the home page) it takes a while for it to show up. i would say at least 20-30 seconds before i can start scrolling again. I have 5 screens up if that matters. is this something normal or is there a setting i should turn off/on to get it to load right away every time?

Contacts: basically i have about 5 friends that i call by a nickname and a nickname only (wife does to) and i used to have it their nickname on my previous phone. but i synced it with facebook and prefer to see their pic come up when they call. is there any way i can get the facebook pic (and status updates and whatnot) to come up, but have their nickname show up instead of the full name?
for instance i want my wife..her name is Jennifer XXXXX XXXXXXX on facebook...i just want that to show up as Jen in my contacts but have her FB profile linked to it. is this possible?

sorry for being long winded, just wanted to give ppl lots of info so you can help me.
thanks for looking, i will be around for a while. loving my phone already tho :)

launcher Pro: It depends upon your settings, number of apps you have installed, free memory, the style you're using (3D versus non 3D), and many other factors, but those are the biggest ones. For example, in the LP settings you can set LP to remain in memory as much as possible, which makes your overall usable memory lower b/c LP stays in memory, but helps a lot on lagging LP screens.

Contacts: I think there is a way to do this, but I have to go back and look - previously, IIRC I remember that once you synced your FB contacts to your phone they showed in your contact list in your Google account, but now looking I see only my original contacts, and not my FB contacts anymore.

If you go to your Google account and look at your contacts, then if you see the dual contacts there you can merge them together, and from then on your phone will show all of the info, including pic, and you can then set the name to whatever you want (provided the merging did not already set their name(s) to the nickname you selected).

Let me dig a little deeper on this - it may be that I am now not able to do that anymore b/c I am on a 2.2 ROM, whereas with a 2.1 ROM I *was* able to do it....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones