Launcher Pro Beta Pros and Cons!!

Last Updated:

1. DonB

DonB ♡ Spidey Sense !! ♡ ™ Moderator This Topic's Starter

Has anyone one been using the launcher Pro Beta, would like some feedback, on weather this app helps in resolving some of the dialing issues that are in the HTC stock UI, just curious, the lag on calls is really a PITA, any input on this app would be greatly appreciated!!

Advertisement
  2. eyebeam

eyebeam Well-Known Member

Well, I can't say how it works with the Hero, but my wife has it on her Moment and really likes it. So much that she's uninstalled PandaHome. Very smooth, nice animations and does what she wants. The only major cons she's noticed are occasional force closes (maybe 2 a day - east to fix by hitting home again. I assume this will be addressed in future versions) and less options than PandaHome and some others. What do you have to lose? Give it a try. You can always uninstall if it's not for you or doesn't play nice with Sense.

Also, FWIW, my call lag seems to be getting better over time for no logical reason I can think of - But hey, I'm not complaining.

DonB likes this.
  3. WUESTSIDER

WUESTSIDER Well-Known Member

I love it. However, it does not change the SMS and/or Calling lag. The app adds some cool features to your phone. I am currently running "LaunchPro Beta" with "Beautiful Widgets", I havent had any major problems as of yet. It has "Forced Closed" on me twice but you just tap "Close" and it resets itself pretty quickly. It is also very responsive or fast.

4. WUESTSIDER

Oh' I forgot to add;
    with LaunchPro Beta, you can change your bottom four widgets to what ever you want them to be, by long pressing each one you want to change. You can choose from 1 to 7 home screens, also while in home screen mode each home screen will rotate to landscape if the phone is rotated and it will still allow you to flick through each seperate home screen.

5. DonB

Thanks for the info, I did notice there are not many choices in widgets, and I did see a review and the person that did the review had the time a weather on the home page and I could not find where to install that, any clue, I also like the option of 3 pages versus of 5 or 7

6. chinkster

chinkster Well-Known Member

i long press the bottom 4 icons but nothing happens???

7. Taterus Maximus

Taterus Maximus Well-Known Member

See if you can update it, that feature wasn't added until a recent update

8. momoceio

momoceio Well-Known Member

Jimmy BeaM

9. dpeeps74

dpeeps74 Well-Known Member

i like launcherpro so far. my phone finally seems to have some pep to it, but yes, still much of the same lag that existed before with dialing and messaging. but besides that, seems to run flawlessly for me. of course i'm only using 3 screens. it would have been nice also to just use HTC widgets instead of having to go download a couple to fill voids..but ultimately, no complaints, no crashes, nada.

10. Rockdiesel

Rockdiesel Member

Has anyone noticed any excessive battery drain using Launcher Pro Beta vs HTC Sense UI?

11. WUESTSIDER

I've been running LauncherPro Beta for about 2 weeks now, and I have not noticed any unusual battery drain at all.

12. chinkster

chinkster Well-Known Member

if anyone is rooted and running fresh 2.1.2 that already has the launcherpro added already...i suggest you do not update because if you update the app it will start showing up on your advance task killer. not a big problem but that annoyed me so just letting you know

13. scottmbolt

scottmbolt Well-Known Member

If one were to download and set up LauncherPro, what would happen to their current HTC Sense home setup?

14. DonB

It stays intact, when you hit the home screen it ask you which one you want, HTC Sense or Launchpro, just make sure you do not set the default up, then it will ask all the time and you can switch back and forth

15. dsavage

dsavage Well-Known Member

Nothing. It's still there, you just turn Sense off. If you run it again, it will come up as it last was before running LauncherPro. Probably best to save the last scene you were running, I suppose.

When you run LauncherPro the first time, you'll notice that all of your HTC widgets are gone, since they require SenseUI, so you'll have to reconfigure your screens. That's why most people who turn off Sense get BeautifulWidgets and PureCalendar, they're a pretty good (but not perfect) approximation of the Sense widgets (although the full screen weather animation with the HTC Clock/Weather is awesome, and there isn't anything out there to replace that so far as I know). LauncherPro automatically saves whatever you set up when it's running, so you basically only have one "scene" while running it.

Once you're set up, switching between LauncherPro & SenseUI is easy.

Correct, but it's a preference. I don't like having to choose every time I hit the home button, so I like LauncherPro as the default. And if you chose it as the default, it is easy to change back to Sense, by going to Menu/Settings/Applications, and clearing the Default from LauncherPro.

16. aceofspades626

aceofspades626 Well-Known Member

I love LauncherPro, especially after the last update. much more stable now.
    Landscape homescreens are awesome since I mount in landscape in my car.
    My only complaint is that it lags up a bit while reloading all your widgets after any switch to or from landscape.

There isn't a good free replacement for the HTC clock/weather widget as far as I could find. the one you likely saw is Beautiful Widgets. It's a pay app, but a perfect replacement for the HTC widget. You get a lot more widgets than just that one when you buy Beautiful.

Forgot to mention it's WAY faster than Sense, at least on Fresh 2.1.1

DonB likes this.
  17. bobr0949

bobr0949 Well-Known Member

If you want to try different launchers a must have app is home switcher.

18. NovaFox238

NovaFox238 Well-Known Member

+1 on that. I switch between SenseUI, LauncherPro Beta, and ADW Launcher. ~.~

19. JonB

JonB Well-Known Member

did they take it out of the market? I can't find it anymore. I just uninstalled it the other day and now i want it back and it's not there...

20. DonB

Possible it maybe because it was BETA, check there website and see I posted on there site to see what they resond

21. eyebeam

eyebeam Well-Known Member

Odd :confused:- It still shows up for my wife's Moment but not at all for my Hero. Tried searching the market and Androlib and no go. I see on their forums other phones are having the same issue, but no explanation as to why.

22. DonB

According to my post on there forums, they say that the market is having issues, to try back later on, someone on there forums posted it here, MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service, or here, http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30367/LauncherPro_0.4.2.apk

23. Peter123

Peter123 Well-Known Member

Does LauncherPro cure the occasional silent/audio bug?
    Peter

24. sampo

sampo Active Member

Ummmm, can't seem to find Launcher Pro in the Market....

I just saw it there the other day, also ADW is missing too! There only one that still shows up is Helix, which I've heard is buggy in its own right... HELP!

25. Scrubb

Scrubb Well-Known Member

I tried LauncherPro and honestly i did like it but it would force close on me every now and then, which isnt a big deal. BUT after I set LauncherPro as my default home screen, the next time it force closed, it got stuck in a force close loop. I could not do anything with my phone, it just force closed over and over again with now break in between for me to change anything. I finally had to plug it into my computer and reinstall 2.1 For me Im done with alternates. I like Sense just fine. So in my opinion, if you want to use alternate homes, thats fine but you might want to think twice about making them your default.