Launcher Pro - Can I mess up my phone?

1. TheTrueSpin

TheTrueSpin Well-Known Member

This might sound silly but can using Launcher Pro mess up a phone? I mean, how does it run? Just like an app that I can end at any time? Does it disable Sense? Can I get sense back after?

Totally new at this.

Advertisement
    :
  2. The Stranger

The Stranger Active Member

I'm new at this too and have been using Launcher Pro for the last week or so. Its been working fine, and Sense is still there. I use an app called Home Switcher to switch back and forth.
  3. TheTrueSpin

TheTrueSpin Well-Known Member

I went for it... Launcher Pro only gives you three screens?
  4. Rotor

Rotor Well-Known Member

Press MENU then PREFERENCES you can then choose how many screens you have.

;)
  5. 995632

995632 New Member

So can you just go back to Sense?
  6. mr.hachi

mr.hachi Well-Known Member

Using a program like Home Switcher will allow you go go back and forth. I use LauncherPro and it's great and if you look deep enough you can find good replacements for the sense widgets.

One thing I did find though that is I didn't remove all the widgets and shortcuts from the sense home and it seemed to eat up a lot of ram, I went in and removed everything and it seems to be a lot better now.
  7. Tyseyh

Tyseyh Well-Known Member

On the topic of this i have been wondering if anyone has a set of free widgets that they can use with any other home replacement app like Launcher pro etc.

So far every time iv tried to use launcher pro or the others ( I forgot the names ) it seems i cant use the built in HTC Widget to turn my mobile internet on/off...

Am i just missing something blatantly obvious?
  8. FelixofMars

FelixofMars Well-Known Member

If you read my SMS thread then I list a few replacement widgets in there, sadly the HTC ones are locked to sense. Understandably as its their launcher.

I am still trying to replace my SMS service widget.
  9. d.knight99

d.knight99 Well-Known Member

I don't really get launcher pro, the little bar at the bottom is nicer then the one on the Sense launcher but that's pretty much all it gives you. Plus you lose all the lovely HTC widgets, so it don't really see the point.

If you were a nexus user or another android device which didn't have sense then fine, seems like a good idea. But I just don't feel it actually offers anything different, just removes the ability to have HTC widgets...
  10. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

Oh, it does a lot of things Sense doesn't.

- Hides the notification bar.
    - Hides icon labels (a must IMO).
    - Gives you the 3D app drawer ala the N1. Not something I personally care about--I do have an N1 after all--but some people seem fond of it.
    - 4x5 homescreens! This means an extra 1x1 widget, an extra row of icons, whatever.

Among others.
  11. runamonk

runamonk Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing until recently, I switched to ADW.Launcher. Damn good launcher.

I only ever used one widget for displaying the date which I have replaced with the Retro Date/Time widget.

This home launcher is damn good. So far I am liking it better than sense. Mostly I am sure because it's different. :)
  12. julianb

julianb Active Member

The Sense UI on my Desire lags from time to time- it is sensible when going from 1 to 7 screens view. I don't have that problem with LauncherPro at all. And also allows for horizontal view, not just vertical as is by default. Besides- the more the merrier.
    As to swithing between different UIs- if you press the Home button you should be able to see a list of UIs to choose from. If that does not work and instead you get 3-7 screen view it means that you have chosen the given launcher as a default launcher (there was a tick box for that). Just go to Settings/ Applications/Manage Application and choose the current launcher from the list. In its settings change the "launch by default" setting and you will be able to use the home button as described above.
    Cheers.
  13. Liam88

Liam88 Member

Is switching to a different launcher reversible? I want to give ADW a go but I'm worried I'll cock something up along the way. Also could someone please give a link to a thread containing a list of alternative apps to use?

Many thanks!
  14. dajomel

dajomel Well-Known Member

AS has been mentioned, using an App called Home Switcher makes it simple to go to a new launcher and back to Sense with no adverse effects.

To help with Apps, it may be easier if you tell us what sort of Apps you are after. Clock? Weather? Calendar? Twitter? Facebook? Contacts? etc etc :)
    Liam88 likes this.
  15. Liam88

Liam88 Member

Apps I'm after is a decent looking Clock widget, Weather, Contacts. Any others people may recommend.
  16. runamonk

runamonk Well-Known Member

It's just another app. You can always uninstall it. Although if you want multiple homes installed at the same time so you can easily test them all out then install Home Switcher too. :)

You can't break anything.
    Liam88 likes this.