1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Launcher Pro forgets it the default launcher

Last Updated:

1. ctmay4

ctmay4 Member This Topic's Starter

've been using LP for about a week (it's great BTW!) and this just started to happen so it could have something to do with the latest update. I've set LP at the default launcher and everything works great. However, if I ever long press the "home" button, go to an application, then press "home" again I get the popup asking me which launcher I want to use. I check the "set as default" box then select LP and everything is good again. It all works until I long press home the next time, then the remembered default is gone and I get the prompt again.

I've tried rebooting, clearing defaults, etc. Anyone seen this or have any ideas how to fix it?

Advertisement
  2. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Well-Known Member

Mine did it for about a day, and then went back to normal. Still not a 100% as my scrolling widgets aren't acting 100%. Will just bide my time till the next update.

3. ctmay4

ctmay4 Member This Topic's Starter

Interesting. I wonder how it fixed itself. Hopefully its just a bug that he fixes in the next release.

4. Munnarg

Munnarg Well-Known Member

This has been happening with HTC Sense for me as of today. I have not installed the new update either so I have no idea what's going on.

5. buMitch333

buMitch333 Well-Known Member

This is happening to me as well I thot it was Adw.launcher so I switched to lp but am still having the same problem... hopefully there is a fix

6. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest

It has been happening to me for a while now. It seems to happen when I hold the home button to switch between apps.

7. biggamer3

biggamer3 Well-Known Member

where is the option to make Launcher Pro default?

I keep getting the damn popup asking which launcher

8. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

Typically I'm not one to add software that does something that is native to the phone, but you might try installing Home Switcher from the market to see if that's able to make your selection 'stick'.

I wonder what other software you folks have in common, and if you've all downloaded/updated something recently that is messing with the setting. It's not actually the launcher that remembers it's the default, it's the phone that remembers which launcher to use. Since the problem is happening on different launchers something is obviously playing with that setting.

9. Murphy

Murphy Well-Known Member

Mine does that when I get an update to LauncherPro. I just check the make it default box and select it and don't have to mess with it again until I install another launcher or an update.

10. buMitch333

ya i use home switcher and have it as default but i read in another thread people having the problem when they long press the home button and switch to another app then the next time you press home it asks which launcher... tested it and this is the case

don't know how to fix it though sadly lol not gonna stop multitasking thats for sure

11. kevin@teslacoilsw

kevin@teslacoilsw VIP Member VIP Member

Believe it or not, this problem is caused by Qik for Evo 4G. If you go to:

Home Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Qik for EVo 4G and pick Uninstall Updates it no longer happens.

I know it sounds crazy...

(I've contacted Qik about this but no response yet)

buMitch333 likes this.
  12. buMitch333

cant believe that actually worked! haha amazing

13. (G)

(G) Well-Known Member

It's at the very bottom of the popup. Click to make the checkmark appear (I forget what the dialog says... something like "Make it this way all the time.")

14. StringerBellRinger

StringerBellRinger Active Member

Is anyone still having this problem since the froyo update? I tried the Qik thing but it's not helping.

15. Jerry786

Jerry786 Active Member

Its not a launcher pro bug. Its an app that's causing this. It happened to me not so long ago and I discovered toddler lock was the culprit

16. StringerBellRinger

Thanks but I don't even see where to set LP as a default besides using Home Switcher which isn't work.

How did you figure out toddler lock was the culprit? By uninstalling apps until LP worked?

17. Jerry786

Jerry786 Active Member

Every time I exit toddler lock and press home, It comes up with a message asking me to choose a home launcher, canvas or launcher pro. I have to set it manually as default launcher using home switcher

I didn't uninstall toddler lock but I assume this app is causing the problem.

18. Jerry786

Jerry786 Active Member

I just loaded up toddler lock right now and after exiting it asked me which launcher I wanted to use even though i set launcher pro as default

One hundred percent certain this is the culprit. If you have it installed... check it yourself

19. BlackDave

BlackDave Well-Known Member

2.2 fixed this issue on mine with launcher pro (htc evo)

20. StringerBellRinger

I don't have toddlerlock but I do have the 2.2 update. When I loaded Launcher Pro after the update I never got the prompt for which launcher I wanted to use when hitting the home button like I used to get with 2.1. So I downloaded Home Switcher which works well except for this issue of forgetting LP is the default.
    I'll have to figure out which app is causing the problem. Thanks for the advice.

21. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

To get the default action prompt clear defaults in you home launcher by going to Settings>Applications>Manage applications>Menu>Filter>All. find Home Launcher/ :Launcher and clear defaults in it. Press the home key and it should ask about the default program to complete the action and you won't need home switcher any more.

22. StringerBellRinger

Hey thanks, I saw this in another thread but when I go to Settings>Applications>Manage applications>Menu>Filter>All, I can't find Home Launcher. I can find Launcher Pro and Home Switcher but not Home Launcher. Launcher Pro's defaults are grayed out.

I'll keep looking.

23. sookster54

sookster54 Well-Known Member

The Evo uses HTC Sense right? That'll be HTC Sense which is the same as Home, but the buttons are greyed out. I have the same problem of HTC booting in overtop of LauncherPro when turning on the phone until I hit the home button.

24. StringerBellRinger

Found it! You're right, it uses Sense. There is no Home choice which is what was throwing me off. Thanks so much, and thanks to everyone else that helped out.

25. sookster54

sookster54 Well-Known Member

I killed HTC Sense via SystemPanel and noticed scrolling in the drawer was smoother after since I use LauncherPro. I have root but I don't want to uninstall HTC Sense incase it might affect the core system but you definitely can kill the process.