• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Launcher Pro vs Stock Home Screen

Or just delete the stock launcher like I did:D

The only draw back with deleting the stock launcher is when you do a factory reset your phone will be stuck with a black screen once it tries booting up since the stock launcher is gone. It's best to rename it to a .bak file, then you can always change it back if you need to do a reset.

Upvote 0
Along the lines of this theme I have a question. I am using LPP on my X which is 2.2 ota and rooted. I tried clearing the default home screen but I don't get the stock home coming up on the list of options. I did remove a couple of bloatware ware items through titanium backup previously. Did I somehow delete motoblur off the phone entirely or am I just not going about getting back to it the correct way? I don't want to use it instead of LPP I just wanted to make sure the widgets on it are removed to help performance.

Thanks in advance. :D

Upvote 0
Along the lines of this theme I have a question. I am using LPP on my X which is 2.2 ota and rooted. I tried clearing the default home screen but I don't get the stock home coming up on the list of options. I did remove a couple of bloatware ware items through titanium backup previously. Did I somehow delete motoblur off the phone entirely or am I just not going about getting back to it the correct way? I don't want to use it instead of LPP I just wanted to make sure the widgets on it are removed to help performance.

Thanks in advance. :D

The easiest way to get back to the stock home screen is to install the Home Switcher app, that way you can switch back and forth if you need to.

Upvote 0
-LP+ has additional widgets including the best Facebook widget (IMO) available for android.
-With LP you can resize ANY widget.
-I have a 5x8 layout (you can choose more or less) on my X which is great for the big screen instead on only 4x4.
-The dock bar with LP is customizable, you can have 5 icons with gestures for additional apps, you can change the background and icons
-You can adjust how many screens you have, not forced to use 7, I only use 3 and I don't like blank screens, you can choose which one is the default screen if you don't want to start on the middle screen

I am not saying that this level of customization is for everyone, I was just pointing out the advantages over the stock launcher. I don't use it because of any smoothness problems, I never had a problem with the stock launcher.

I am currently running 5x7 with a build.prop LCD Density edit at 210. I would love to run 5x8 but I notice that if I switch to 5x8, my Beautiful Home Weather Widget gets slightly cutoff at the top and/or bottom. Do you think this is because of the 210 edit?

Upvote 0
I am currently running 5x7 with a build.prop LCD Density edit at 210. I would love to run 5x8 but I notice that if I switch to 5x8, my Beautiful Home Weather Widget gets slightly cutoff at the top and/or bottom. Do you think this is because of the 210 edit?

I have my lcd density at 200 and everything looks great with a 5x8. Depending on which weather skin I use with beautiful widgets some of the bottom can get cut off, but the one I am using now doesn't.

Upvote 0
I would have to agree. I have tried it and not noticed any real difference in speed. I could care less about resizing the widgets, or customizing the widgets. The widgets that come with the phone are perfectly fine and so are the size. I know where everything is with the stock setup and am quite happy with it. Just my 2 cents.

Well, you can resize widgets in the stock version as well.

Upvote 0
You can only resize MOTO widgets right? With LP+ you can resize ANY widget?

Ahh, I see. Thanks!

While we are on the topic of LP, how do you resize a web bookmark icon on the desktop? I have tried long pressing on it, like you do to resize a widget, but that just makes it active to be moved around the screen. In LP it will highlight a widget and then prompt you to purchase LP+ for resizing, but I do not get that message when doing this on my web bookmark icons. So, can those be resized as well in LP+?

One more question. How do you get back to the original home screen? LP does not seem to work the same in 2.2 as it did in 2.1 on my Droid 1. I would get a pop-up screen asking which home screen I wanted to use. Now, when I press the Home key it just changed from the default to LP. When I press the Home screen button again, it displays all of the home screens at once and if I long press on the Home button it just switches to a listing of recent icons.

Upvote 0
Ahh, I see. Thanks!

While we are on the topic of LP, how do you resize a web bookmark icon on the desktop? I have tried long pressing on it, like you do to resize a widget, but that just makes it active to be moved around the screen. In LP it will highlight a widget and then prompt you to purchase LP+ for resizing, but I do not get that message when doing this on my web bookmark icons. So, can those be resized as well in LP+?

One more question. How do you get back to the original home screen? LP does not seem to work the same in 2.2 as it did in 2.1 on my Droid 1. I would get a pop-up screen asking which home screen I wanted to use. Now, when I press the Home key it just changed from the default to LP. When I press the Home screen button again, it displays all of the home screens at once and if I long press on the Home button it just switches to a listing of recent icons.

You can not resize icons or shortcuts, only widgets.

There is an app called home switcher if you want to go back to the stock homescreen. I haven't used it because LP is the only launcher on my phone (I deleted the stock launcher), but I know others have said it works.

In LP if you want to change the home button behavior press menu -> preferences -> behavior settings -> home key action

Reactions: darkcyber
Upvote 0
Bummer that icons and shortcuts can't be resized.

Thanks for the info. I was just trying to get back into the default home screen to see what all icons and widgets I had on those screens. Forgot to write them down first. :rolleyes:

Was going to grab "Home Switcher" in the market after reading about it, but it says it no worky in 2.2. Will check for another one.

Upvote 0
I have my lcd density at 200 and everything looks great with a 5x8. Depending on which weather skin I use with beautiful widgets some of the bottom can get cut off, but the one I am using now doesn't.

Thanks for the reply. I originally set LCD to 200 but noticed some apps had problems with that setting. (Retro Camera, Groupon, Live Holdem and others).

Upvote 0
I go back and forth between LPP and stock... The stock setup is not that bad and as much as I hate to admit it, I kinda like it as well...

As far as the LPP widgets go they are nice, but far better widgets are available in the market.... Pure Calendar and Pure Messenger blow the LPP widgets out of the water.... I am not slamming the LPP widgets as they are a nice add on, but there are better to be had IMHO...

How do you get back to the stock launcher? I have installed LP and all I can do now is see the LP...can't find anyway to get back to my stock one now. The Home Switcher app I found in the market says it does not work in 2.2.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones