• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Launcher Pro won't install

There IS a way to do it, but it's a roundabout way. You need to save your homescreen settings, install the ADW Launcher (so you have SOME kind of home launcher), then use root explorer to go into system/apps and delete the launcherpro.apk. Then reboot the phone and download LauncherPro's updated version from the market. Restore settings and widgets and you're in business. I'm not sure the update is worth the trouble, IMHO.

With the YouTube update you can uninstall YouTube in Titanium Backup, reboot and reinstall from the market.

I'm hoping that BD will fix this issue in his update.

Reactions: SinfulDragon
Upvote 0
There IS a way to do it, but it's a roundabout way. You need to save your homescreen settings, install the ADW Launcher (so you have SOME kind of home launcher), then use root explorer to go into system/apps and delete the launcherpro.apk. Then reboot the phone and download LauncherPro's updated version from the market. Restore settings and widgets and you're in business. I'm not sure the update is worth the trouble, IMHO.

With the YouTube update you can uninstall YouTube in Titanium Backup, reboot and reinstall from the market.

I'm hoping that BD will fix this issue in his update.

that sounds pretty annoying. why do you have to do that with some roms?

Upvote 0
that sounds pretty annoying. why do you have to do that with some roms?

I like to think of it as a learning experience. It is practice for playing around with root files.

Some Dev's put different apps ins /system/apps and remove apps from /system/apps. I'm not sure exactly why they put apps like that in /system/apps, but my guess would be that Blackdroid did this because it is the only launcher included with his new ROM. That being the case, without a launcher on the phone, the phone is basically useless. You'll never be able to access any apps or settings or anything. Chances are that Blackdroid wanted to use LP as the launcher because of how robust a launcher it is. So, he put LP in /system/apps to avoid accidental deletes and then a bunch of people complaining because they can't use their phones without re-flashing the ROM.

I don't know if those are Blackdroids reasons for doing it this way, but that is what I think his reasons may have been for it.

Kratos

Upvote 0
I get the reasons, but thats wildly annoying and I'm not installing another launcher just so I have the ability to update LP as the FB Widget is not used on my phone anyway.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Gotcha. I can understand and respect your decision. If you don't use the LP Facebook widget, then there is no need to update it, yet.

Kratos

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones