1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Launcher programs

Last Updated:

1. pcdebb

pcdebb VIP Member VIP Member This Topic's Starter

what exactly are they? I see many threads about Launcher Plus Pro and how awesome it is. Does this require rooting? (I dont know if i wanna root my phone)

Advertisement
  2. Jedii

Jedii Well-Known Member

LauncherPro and other launchers do NOT require root :)

Simple and easy to use. You can download LauncherPro from the market for free.

3. pcdebb

so it's basically like a skinning app? I'm just asking cause I'm all new to this. I'm not really finding the answer, but can you customize the bottom row of icons on that launch bar? (I'd like to move the contacts icon and put something else there, for example)

4. PureLoneWolf

PureLoneWolf Well-Known Member

It is more than a skinning app, It's a replacement app launcher interface. It replaces Sense. LauncherPro gives you the ability to have 3 docks with customisable icons etc. It has it's own Sense'esque widgets (if you buy the Plus version). There are some nice transitions etc.

It's a great product. Install the free version, see what you think...if it isn't for you, uninstall it.

5. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

Seeing as nobody seems to be able to give you a straight answer....

A 'launcher', or more commonly referred to as a 'home replacement', is basically the thing you're brought to when you hit that home button on the button of the phone. Most have more functionality than the default homes (your Epic has touchwiz, which frankly isn't one of the better ones out there).

They can bring things like say... graphical enhancements.
    They can make things move with more fluidity (Launcher Pro), add different transition animations all together (GDE), change the way you swipe from home screens (DxTop and Slidescreen), and so on and so forth.
    They add function by adding things like docks to the bottom (ADW Launcher, Launcher Pro, GDE, almost all have them), adding their own special launcher-specific widgets (application dock on GDE, HTC Sense like widgets on Launcher Pro Plus, etc.), and other surface level things.
    They can also give you a higher level of customization to use on your home screens to make it more suited for you. Launcher Pro and ADW Launcher allow you to change the highlight colors, the elasticity effect you get after changing screens, the amount of home screens, the default home screen, the theme, the skin of the application docks, what action is performed when pushing the home button, how many icons can fit on-screen, the list goes on and on.

Just for a little sample, I found out how to do this from XDA with Launcher Pro, and this is how I use my phone day to day.
    [​IMG]

You can do LOADS more with alternative home launchers than you can ever dream of doing with the ones that come stock on the phone.

I say look into getting another one, unless TouchWizz fits you fine as is.

Kabob, rnld941 and pcdebb like this.
  6. GeorgeinLA

GeorgeinLA Well-Known Member

Nice response foodman. One question that I've had though, will I lose any of the customizations that I've already put on the phone by using a launcher?

7. pcdebb

that layout is way different, and I like it. Very nice. I may dabble with it. I've never been into paid apps (nothing but free on the ipod), but I like the phone enough where I've already paid for apps (beautiful widgets). If this is for me then I'll upgrade.

Thanks for the explanation, that helped.

8. Kabob

Kabob Well-Known Member

I too have TouchWiz which I don't mind except that the fact it's trying to make my phone look like an iPhone. I downloaded Launcher Pro and like the format alot more, I just wish it would replace TouchWiz instead of running on top.

9. goughy

goughy Well-Known Member

10. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Well-Known Member

Android Phone 7 Theme | xda-developers
    thats the link for the "android phone 7" theme.

@GeorgeinLA yes any homescreen customizations you have done are covered over by launcherpro. however if you leave sense or whatever ui you have intact underneath if you unistall launcherpro they ll be there. home switcher (which doesn't work with 2.2 and beyond) allows 2.1 devices to rotate between adw, launcherpro, and whatever your home ui is.

i would say that if you use launcherpro not to leave any widgets running on sense/touchwiz/etc before you launch it because I believe they will continue running and updating in the background. at least thats my understanding.