1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Launcher why?

Last Updated:

1. trophynuts

trophynuts Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Can someone tell me the need or the benefits you get from using one of the other launcher apps? For example such as launcher pro or ADW.? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. muab

muab Well-Known Member

I use LauncherPro so I can only describe what I prefer about it.

The main things I like about LauncherPro is the "Dock" at the bottom of the screen, the ability to have more "home" screens, the 3d App-drawer, and the appearance of the layout.

The dock (if you are not familiar) is like a conveyor belt at the bottom of the screen that holds 4 fixed icons and 8 custom icons. It spins so you can access 4 icons at a time.

Since I am a big fan of a really "clean" look on my home screens I am able to park 12 App shortcuts (well, I use 4 speed dial pre-sets and 8 App shortcuts) on the dock and keep my home screens really clean and spartan looking.

I would say 90% of the people who use custom launchers will say they use them for their increased customizing abilities.

Hope that helps

(Oh, I use the free version of LauncherPro)

Cheers

:)

3. Gren

Gren Active Member

I use LauncherPro too and do so for the dock - again for that clean look. The few of other things it does (3d app drawer etc) are just nice to haves - I used to use Sense on my Desire but this just allows a bit more. Am just waiting for a couple more widgets to replicate the Sense ones I used to use then I'll upgrade to the paid version.

4. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

My name is Szadzik and I use Launcher Pro :)

I use it because it is much faster than any of the stock launchers.

5. Rachel A

Rachel A Well-Known Member

I used to be an ADW girl but now I'm in the LauncherPro camp. As with the other posters I enjoy having more flexibility thus leaving my default home screen emptier of Icons than otherwise might be. In addition I love the scrollable widgets that you can use with either (read in my case the Pure Widgets from Koxx) and, finally, I just started utilizing LP's widget resizing capabilities - thus allowing me to drop a 2x2 analog clock into a 1x1 slot :cool: (I'm using the Paid version to get that functionality).

Other features on offer that I don't use are having a 5x4 widget layout, variable # of homescreens (1-7) and setting the default homescreen amongst other features.

R

6. trophynuts

this is great feedback. Thanks to all. I will give it a shot tonight. I too would rather have a clean look. Just one more question.

I've read that when using Lpro or ADW , your stock launcher is basically still running in the background. Has there been any issues with this? Has this caused any performance issues?

7. EmoTonyB

EmoTonyB Well-Known Member

no. there is no performance issues taht i have seen. i ALSO use LPro. i can keep my screen bare and still have access to apps (i use the scrolling dock feature) also what i like is the swype action vs press action. for instance... i have a browser icon. the press option opens the stock browser where as a swype up on the icon opens SkyFire (my alternate browser) same for the phone icon. press opens phone and swype gesture opens contacts (yes i know they are on the same screen anyway)

so this is why i like it, just like another post said, customizable options. plus you can make any icon and action look like whatever you want. my app drawer is the little android dude :)

8. Szadzik

Default launcher is not running if you are using a 3rd party one as default.

9. muab

muab Well-Known Member

I think some people fail to get LauncherPro set as their permanent default so sometimes when they press the home button it takes them back to the default launcher. That may be what they are referring to. If you set things up right there is no sight of the default launcher and it isn't burning any system resources.

One of the beautiful things about the Android OS is that unless a program is made very stupidly the OS can shuffle things off "into a corner" as it were and it doesn't burn any resources (unlike Windows and some others).

If you have some issues with setting up LP and I am sure half the people on this board can give you tips for getting it just how you want it.

Cheers

10. mcatdtDROID

mcatdtDROID Banned

tag home gives you only up to 5 homescreens.... I'd prefer 7, but honestly, I only use 6, so squashing down to 5 is ok. What I liked beest about it was it gave you the option of jumping from one home screen to any other (ie - screen 2 jump to screen 5, or screen 3 to 1, etc)

I use Launcherpro however.

11. mcatdtDROID

mcatdtDROID Banned

I believe ADW allows to save screen shots without root access.... not 100% sure if it's ADW but one of them I tried does, and it wasn't Tag or LP

12. trophynuts

What do i need to do specifically to ensure Launcher Pro is my default launcher? ..on the Droid X. Thanks

13. muab

muab Well-Known Member

When you press the Home button does it take you to your LauncherPro setup? Or does it take you to your original setup? When you press it twice what does it do?

If you go into settings> applications > launcherPro does it say that you have it set as default?

I can't remember what else I did to set as default aside from pushing my Home button and having it pop up and ask me if I wanted launcherPro to be my default and I checked the box to remember that decision.

14. JohnShepherd

JohnShepherd Well-Known Member

LauncherPro user too...

Reasons:

1) 12 app dock
    2) Customizability

It just looks better :)

15. trophynuts

pressing home button once pulls up all of my home screens at once and i tap on the one i want to go to. So far i like it ok i guess. The more i play with it i'm sure i'll like it more. The Dock is really a good feature so even if that is all i use alone it is worth it.

16. Poloki

Poloki Well-Known Member Contributor

My LauncherPro allows 5 apps per dock and 3 dock... so I get 15 is that because I am using Plus?

17. JohnShepherd

No, you're getting more because I was half asleep when I made my post :D

It's 15 apps in the dock of course...

18. muab

muab Well-Known Member

I think I said 12 in my original post too...so I might have started the trend there.

19. mauiblue

mauiblue Well-Known Member

I tried LP and ADW and I just didn't get used to it. If I remember correctly, there was some Sense UI widgets that weren't on the aftermarket launchers which turned me off. I may try the aftermarket launchers when I'm bored but at the moment the stock HTC home screen is fine.

20. Szadzik

Launcher PRo PLus has FB, Twitter, Calendar, People and Bookmark widgets like those from Sense.

21. mauiblue

mauiblue Well-Known Member

Thanks Szadzik for reminding me of those widgets that I would want on LP but gosh darn it you have to pay for the Pro version to get those widgets which I already have on the stock Sense UI. That is just not enough to push me over the edge and be a complete convert.

22. JohnShepherd

The LP dock should though...given how much time it saves it's totally worth it ;)

23. Szadzik

Never tried to convince you to pay. Just saying that LP+ is more functional than Sense. More customization, the dock, resizing widgets etc.

24. paraffin01

paraffin01 Member

Also if you miss the Clock Widget from Sense UI then you can install fancy widget.

The app is no longer on the Market but you can download the apk file.

If you want I can send you a link to my site which has it available for download.

25. Szadzik

If no weather is needed there also is the Analog Sense Clock in many flavours :)