• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Launcher2 with 5 column drawer!

I couldn't wait. It works!!!

shrink57-albums-screenshots-whatever-picture856-5column.png

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I used the Helix 2 app in the market (free app). I don't know how similar it is but the Helix 2 launcher seems to be almost identical to the launcher used in Cyanogen.

Isn't the Helix2 4 columns? The main difference here is the extra column and maintains the 3d. I heard rumors there may even get the extra column on the home screen. The one thing I miss in this launcher are the 4 docks for apps in the home screen.

Upvote 0
Isn't the Helix2 4 columns? The main difference here is the extra column. I heard rumors there may even get the extra column on the home screen. The one thing I miss in this launcher are the 4 docks for apps in the home screen.

Yes the apps are 4 columns in Helix2. I just tried this 5 column launcher2 and it does work. I would say that the 5 wide icons seem squished together and the launcher2 doesn't allow you to pin 4 static icons at the bottom like Helix does (nice feature!). Also, the Helix launcher is a little better IMO in landscape mode.

Oh...I forgot...the Launcher2 seems to scroll more fluidly in portrait mode. That was nice. Edit...I had said scoll was more fluid in landscape mode above...I changed it to what I meant to say:)

Upvote 0
Yes the apps are 4 columns in Helix2. I just tried this 5 column launcher2 and it does work. I would say that the 5 wide icons seem squished together and the launcher2 doesn't allow you to pin 4 static icons at the bottom like Helix does (nice feature!). Also, the Helix launcher is a little better IMO in landscape mode.

Oh...I forgot...the Launcher2 seems to scroll more fluidly in landscape mode. That was nice.

Yea, I went back to the older to get back the 4 static icons. This 5 column is an interesting novelty. I am sure they will keep improving it (maybe give a menu driven choice of columns). I does make it faster to scroll down when you have 130+ apps like I do. I am just getting bored waiting for 5.0.5 (from what I am reading the last test ate everyone recovery - a good time to brush up on adb commands :eek:).

Upvote 0
Yea, I went back to the older to get back the 4 static icons. This 5 column is an interesting novelty. I am sure they will keep improving it (maybe give a menu driven choice of columns). I does make it faster to scroll down when you have 130+ apps like I do. I am just getting bored waiting for 5.0.5 (from what I am reading the last test ate everyone recovery - a good time to brush up on adb commands :eek:).

Yeah, I caught tip as to where to download it but I was forewarned about the problems. I let it eat the recovery anyway to see what would happen (I'm just stupid like that :) ). I had to flash clockwork via adb and it was no big deal. The ROM just seemed strange to me. Apps2SD was still grayed out, Launcher2 wasn't included...very strange. Hopefully they will get it sorted out.

When you loaded it...It scrolled though a bunch of files that were being deleted...which didn't make sense. Like I said, strange!

Upvote 0
Sorry, I don't know why you would be having an issue with that...Seems like there are plenty of people running BB 0.8 and this Helix launcher has worked for them (as far as I've heard). I'd give you something to try but I can't rationalize why this isn't working for you. :(

According to some stuff I read.. Helix2 will not work on BB 0.8 only 0.9

Reactions: UBRocked
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones