• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LauncherPro better than Helix and ADW? You be the judge.

LauncherPro better than Helix? You be the judge.

• Yes! LauncherPro FTW!

Votes: 219 84.2%
  • Nah.. Helix is still better.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • Nah.. I use ADW.

Votes: 25 9.6%

• Total voters
You could post the defect on the Dev's site - www.launcherpro.com...so he is more likely to become aware of it. :)

I used the "report" button on the force close window to send a discription along with the fault log to the dev. That's a great feature.

Still like this launcher, it's now my default. Have used Sweeter Home, Helix, Helix 2, Home ++ but this is my current defualt.

Upvote 0
I do love it, but I'm so used to where everything is and how my phone works that I end up doing many things subconsciously. I always tap the home key to get to my default home page. It's a habit that I have gotten into that I cant seem to stop. Now, when I want to see my default home screen I tap the home button and see my 7 screens. I know this is getting pretty picky, but it now takes 2 taps to get to my default home screen instead of 1. Considering this is the devs first attempt at this, I have to say that I am really impressed. The extra tap and non configurable dock is all I can find that I would change. And he says he is working on the dock, so that wont be an issue.

GREAT JOB!

Upvote 0
Honestly, I'm still hoping that Home++ will get recompiled for 2.1+. I really love the features of that home replacement, between the quick uninstall by dragging and dropping (by holding the icon over the trash bin for a few seconds), and the looping homescreens alone I prefer it to Helix. But the fact that since 2.0, Home++ has been buggy and now with 2.1 it doesn't support new features like live wallpapers, so lately I've been using Helix as a decent alternative.

I might try LauncherPro, but I don't think I like the sound of not being able to customize the bottom buttons.

Upvote 0
Home++ was buggy before 2.1 for most users. If it was actually smooth and bug free, it would be one of the top 3 home replacements and I'd probably be using it now.

By the way, I think they recently updated it to support LWP.
Well I did say since 2.0. I see no updates to Home++ but I think the app Launcher+ might support live wallpapers now. One reason I didn't try Launcher+ out was that it actually has google analytics built into it (if i recall correctly).

Upvote 0
Honestly, I'm still hoping that Home++ will get recompiled for 2.1+. I really love the features of that home replacement, between the quick uninstall by dragging and dropping (by holding the icon over the trash bin for a few seconds), and the looping homescreens alone I prefer it to Helix. But the fact that since 2.0, Home++ has been buggy and now with 2.1 it doesn't support new features like live wallpapers, so lately I've been using Helix as a decent alternative.

1. I used home++ back when I was on a stock N1. As in the phone that shipped with 2.1 to start with, so yes, home++ works perfectly fine on 2.1.

2. It's been supporting LWPs since a few builds ago. You just need to fiddle with a few settings and disable endless scroll.

Upvote 0
1. I used home++ back when I was on a stock N1. As in the phone that shipped with 2.1 to start with, so yes, home++ works perfectly fine on 2.1.

2. It's been supporting LWPs since a few builds ago. You just need to fiddle with a few settings and disable endless scroll.

Hmmmm...maybe it works well specifically on Nexus 1 devices because a lot of Droid users have problems with Home++. If Home++ ran super smooth on my Droid and had "pinch to preview", it would PROBABLY be my launcher of choice.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tip on LauncherPro. It works great. I've been holding off on switching from Helix to something else, but the FC on Helix were getting super annoying. I would get maybe a handful each day, and without the option to "wait". So, when I saw this thread, I downloaded LP immediately. So far, I really appreciate the speed of it. The "bump" feature is alright, but not a deal breaker for me. I LOVE the app tray for several reasons: 1) It's got the "2.1" icon, 2) It's got the fly-in, and 3) Most importantly, it's NOT the 3D drawer from 2.1. Basically, it's the best of all worlds when it comes to app drawers. The non-customizable dock I can live with for the time being. I'm sure it'll be updated. I like the pinch to screen previews. Much more intuitive than double tapping (which, sometimes, invariably ends up selecting something if your homescreen is full). We'll have to see if there are any FC issues with LP, but so far so good. This is the new home replacement of choice!

Upvote 0
I was quite happy with Helix; but I decided to see what all the fuss was about with this one. I installed it last night and it's been working great. The only complaint is the lack of customizing the launcher bar but hopefully that will be fixed in a future released. Other than that I love it so far, and I'll keep using it to see how it continues to work.

The app drawer animation is slick and the response between screens is incredible!

Upvote 0
It was updated to 0.2.0 today. Anybody figure out the changes? The dev hasn't updated the change log.

Check out his website, there is a new changelog.

Now you an have 3-7 screens not just 3, 5, and 7. It also has the auto rotate option, a home button in the app drawer like the N1, the home soft key now has the option to take you home instead of doing the swipe preview, and I think thats it for now. He will be adding customization options to the dock in around a week hopefully.

Reactions: (G)
Upvote 0
I have never used a home replacement before. Does launcher pro delete all of my app shortcuts on my screen once I install it?

It doesn't delete all of your apps...it is simply a new home screen. It will look like everything has been deleted but it just has never been loaded with anything. You can always switch back to using your current home screen and see all of your apps and widgets.

One additional note though. If you play with launcher pro and decide to keep it, you will want to delete any widgets off of your old home screen (they can update in the background and cause your phone to run slower and waste battery).

Upvote 0
Yeah the new update is pretty sweet!! It forecloses a bit more now, but not a huge deal. I am really liking when you tap the HOME icon it takes it to your default screen now. I am also really liking being able to rotate the screen w/ the keyboard closed! The HOME icon in the app draw is a nice add, but just the same as hitting the back button, IMO, lol. Still an amazing update & it can only get better from here.!

Upvote 0
Don't know if I just missed this in the thread somewhere, but I just downloaded and installed LauncherPro about twenty minutes ago, and there's a little house icon on-screen when I open the app drawer that takes you back to the home screen. I know that was a concern in some of the earlier posts - this dev apparently works fast. :)

LP is waaaaaay faster and smoother than Helix, and the only difference between the four icons I docked in Helix and LP is that I had Maps in place of Contacts and the order is slightly different. Nothing to dissuade me from the increased smoothness and speed, for sure. All in all, this is my favorite home replacement to date, and I've used Helix 1 and 2, Home++, and SweeterHome (which is by far the most functional but also the least fun for me - it just feels too much like work and I don't have the time or the patience to put in to make it just right).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones