• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LauncherPro better than Helix and ADW? You be the judge.

LauncherPro better than Helix? You be the judge.

• Yes! LauncherPro FTW!

Votes: 219 84.2%
  • Nah.. Helix is still better.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • Nah.. I use ADW.

Votes: 25 9.6%

• Total voters
launcherpro is good but it can't tempt me away from helix just yet. especially now that i'm used to the clean look of no icon labels. but i do like the smoothness of the screen transitions. it will get there eventually i'm sure but it's not quite ready for prime time.

See, it's that kind of crazy talk that makes me, well, crazy...you'd pass on the silky smooth groovy LP experience for no icon labels? <bangs head against wall>

;) To each his own...back to my room now to take my meds.

Upvote 0
Yeah this launcher is it for me for a while to come. And I just so happen to like the choice of dock icons with the exception of the browser choice. I can easily deal with that for now though considering how fast and smooth it is. Another reason it's a keeper is after heavy usage there seems to be no noticeable performance degradation. That's a big plus for me.

Upvote 0
I just read his change log. I don't want any of these new features, but I know some do. (Except the bug fixes.)
LauncherPro
What&#8217;s new in 0.2.0:

Fixed missing highlights when navigating app drawer with trackball/dpad.
Fixed bug where some widgets would sometimes get dragged when doing a pinch gesture.
Fixed force close problems when pressing a shortcut on some devices. (Haven&#8217;t been able to test this since I can&#8217;t reproduce the bug, but it should work)
New: Added a button on the app drawer to go back to the home screens.
New: Added options for 4 and 6 home screens. Now you can choose anywhere from 3 to 7 screens.
New: Option to auto-rotate the launcher to landscape mode when the device is rotated.
New: Option to have the Home key on your device take you to your default home screen instead of showing the previews. If you&#8217;re already on the default screen, it will bring up the preview

Upvote 0
I am running the same .apk with 5 screens. All I changed were the icon PNGs as well as highlight colors. Maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling?

The BW skin is SenseUI by Grafixpressions.

Thanks for sharing! I am not familiar with this, can you point me to the directory where I may be able to find the skin so that I can make the modifications.

Haven't had the reboot loops either, but could it be the problem people were having with Helix, where if you tried to decrease the number of pages, it went into a boot loop frenzy? I think the solution there was to clear all of your screens and then try to reduce the number.

I think this is it! I do have Helix 2 with 7 screens... I'll try uninstalling it and installing LauncherPro. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
On my phone, if I press the home (physical button) twice quickly, then once again, it brings up the menu for switching between the different home launchers, even though I had already selected "use by default for this action"

That's a cool feature...mine doesn't do it so I'm wondering if that is tied to an app like "Home Switcher". Do you have that (or an app like Home Switcher) installed?

Anyone else notice the great black wallpaper that is included with launcher pro? If not, it

Upvote 0
I stopped using it for a little white. It force closes every time I touch a widget or go from portrait to landscape. I was getting a force close almost every 10 mins on it. It got annoying. I'ma wait for another update before trying it again. It's ashame b/c I love LauncherPro...

What ROM are you on?

Have you removed widgets from your other home screens not in use? Get the free "Home Switcher" from the market so you can see and launch all your installed launchers, and remove any widgets from them.

Maybe an uninstall/reinstall?

I've had zero FCs w/Launcher Pro...running on CM 5.0.7 test0 (Genesis v1 ROM)...your unfortunate experience should be fixable.

Upvote 0
What ROM are you on?

Have you removed widgets from your other home screens not in use? Get the free "Home Switcher" from the market so you can see and launch all your installed launchers, and remove any widgets from them.

Maybe an uninstall/reinstall?

I've had zero FCs w/Launcher Pro...running on CM 5.0.7 test0 (Genesis v1 ROM)...your unfortunate experience should be fixable.

I am all stock 2.1, and it never did that before the recent update. Anytime I try to take a widget off the screen, it FCs....most times I go from portrait to landscape it forcloses, and some of my widgets don't load correct on LauncherPro... I have Home Switcher as well, very useful.

Upvote 0
Yes, switch the .PNG files in res/drawable-hdpi.

Also, I had to resign the .apk to make it installable. Not an issue if you're rooted, since you can push to /system/, but it was a fun little thing to learn :)

It's available in my ROM thread, but I can put it here too, if anyone wants to try a themed LauncherPro ;)

com.fede.launcher.apk

Just install as you would any other .apk. Enjoy!

Just installed this and I love it. The icon for the browser is awesome! Thanks for modifying this app for us. I am now using LauncherPro full time and have abandoned HelixLauncher.

Kratos

Upvote 0
So, I went to update to 0.3.0 today and it downloads just fine. However, the install fails and give an error stating that the package was not signed correctly.

Is this error being caused because the current version I am using is 0.2.0 modified with the custom icons on the dock? Or is this error truly a dev problem? I ask because no one has updated this thread yet and it looks as though everyone else (using the non-customized 0.2.0 version) can update successfully.

Kratos

Upvote 0
So, I went to update to 0.3.0 today and it downloads just fine. However, the install fails and give an error stating that the package was not signed correctly.

Is this error being caused because the current version I am using is 0.2.0 modified with the custom icons on the dock? Or is this error truly a dev problem? I ask because no one has updated this thread yet and it looks as though everyone else (using the non-customized 0.2.0 version) can update successfully.

Kratos

I think you gotta uninstall the modified version first :(

I signed it with a different key than the dev, so I think that's why it's not letting you upgrade.

Upvote 0
Personally I love it. With the new update that came out today you can now customize the dock with anything you wish, although the process isn't quite as simple and clean as the Helix launcher where you can just drag and drop instead you have to select apps or shortcuts from a scrollable list. Also, I'm amazed with the speed and the smooth transition from page to page and the app drawer launcher is much nicer than that of Helix launcher.

Upvote 0
I really like the way he's implemented the shortcuts - it means you can add any type of shortcut, not just apps, which is very cool. I find the drag and drop method more subject to error/slippage....

His entire change list shows that he's a really smart dev - leading w/performance and memory use optimization, which is the browser's strength, and bearing that in mind as he adds new features. I've bolded the key items that really make me happy, and I think will make most of his users happy/loyal.

His future feature list looks good, but frankly I have just about all I want right now...if all he did was continue to tweak performance I'd be perfectly happy! :D

Launcher Pro said:
It&#8217;s here! LauncherPro Beta v0.3.0 has arrived and it brings the much anticipated dock shortcut customization. It&#8217;s still very much a work in progress, I&#8217;m taking a lot of the suggestions I&#8217;ve received for this feature and implementing them incrementally.

There&#8217;s also a couple of enhancements and bug fixes. Here&#8217;s what&#8217;s new:

Performance, stability, and memory usage improvements.
Fixed the bug where the Search option on the menu didn&#8217;t do anything.
Dock shortcuts now stay in their place when rotating the phone (leftmost shortcut stays at the bottom instead of moving to the top, etc.)
Custom dock shortcuts – Long-press any of the four shortcuts and you&#8217;ll be able to choose a new shortcut to replace it. You can add any type of shortcut; applications, contacts, direct dials, music playlists, and more!
Option to restore default settings in the Preferences screen (useful if you want to revert to the default dock shortcuts.)

Some users have pointed out some problems with Android Froyo 2.2, mainly that LauncherPro can&#8217;t be restarted from the Preferences screen, and that some apps installed to the SD card don&#8217;t show up on the app drawer.

The restart issue happens because Google removed an API call that lets apps restart/kill running processes (in the case of LauncherPro, itself). I need to look into finding another API call that will restart LauncherPro. In the meantime you can use Android&#8217;s new native task manager to kill LauncherPro and then start it again.

I haven&#8217;t had time to look into the SD apps issue yet, and as I don&#8217;t have a Nexus One I&#8217;m unable to test it on a device. It&#8217;s likely that I won&#8217;t be able to fix this until Google releases the source code for 2.2.

Here&#8217;s some new things coming soon to LauncherPro:

Ability to uninstall apps by dragging them and holding over the trash can.
Option to remove the &#8220;Home&#8221; icon from the app drawer
Option to use LauncherPro-style (translucent) icons for custom shortcut docks. I will need to create icons for the most-used applications &#8212; Please tell me which apps you&#8217;d like to see icons for in the comments.
Option to hide status bar for a cleaner look
Option to hide icon labels

And this is only the beginning, there&#8217;s SO much more stuff coming to LauncherPro that will hopefully make it the ultimate Android launcher. And don&#8217;t worry, most new features will be optional and performance will always be taken in consideration when adding new stuff. The idea is to make it more feature rich while maintaining the same level of performance.

I&#8217;m setting up a LauncherPro forum so that you can discuss any problems you might be having, post your suggestions, and anything else you might have to say. In the meantime, please post any bugs and feature suggestions in the comments below.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones