• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lawyers working on Class Action on GPS failure.

So we have given up on the Engineers and resorting to Lawyers now to fix the GPS problem on the damn Vibrant?

I dunno if all hope is gone for Samsung Engineers, however, you all must realize this phone was released around the Globe prior to it hitting USA. Samsung has had plenty of time to work on the GPS and get it fixed. The Sprint variant Epic, and Verizon variant Fascinate presumably have already had the GPS optimization prior to release, however Epic is suffering from cache issues on the GPS, and many Fascinate owners are aggravated also. Samsung is simply having problems, maybe their Engineers are not qualified enough to handle the GPS issue.

I think customers deserve some transparency, is this a hardware issue, is this software, is this a combo of both, is this bad design, what is going on, we want answers yet none are given.

I for one am very glad to see the class action threat, and I will be signing my name for sure once I talk to my own attorneys. Enough is enough, maybe this is what it will take for Samsung to start getting serious.

PS...here is another link
http://www.lieffcabraser.com/forms.php?id=573

Upvote 0
I dunno if all hope is gone for Samsung Engineers, however, you all must realize this phone was released around the Globe prior to it hitting USA. Samsung has had plenty of time to work on the GPS and get it fixed. The Sprint variant Epic, and Verizon variant Fascinate presumably have already had the GPS optimization prior to release, however Epic is suffering from cache issues on the GPS, and many Fascinate owners are aggravated also. Samsung is simply having problems, maybe their Engineers are not qualified enough to handle the GPS issue.

I think customers deserve some transparency, is this a hardware issue, is this software, is this a combo of both, is this bad design, what is going on, we want answers yet none are given.

I for one am very glad to see the class action threat, and I will be signing my name for sure once I talk to my own attorneys. Enough is enough, maybe this is what it will take for Samsung to start getting serious.

PS...here is another link
Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein, LLP
Samsung, its been almost a month since I made the switch to the Vibrant and this baby has some serious issues. Things are just wonky on this phone and I haven't seen any action on this from Samsung. It is a great phone with a lot of potential, seriously handicapped by all these annoying issues and so far I have seen inaction from Samsung. I thought I'd never say this, but I sort of miss my iPhone. Both iPhones I had were far from perfect in its original release form and there were issues to begin with on both, but Apple was quick to fix the issues by releasing software patches. I don't see any such urgency from Samsung to fix this phone. And trust me, GPS is not the only issue on this phone. It has a bunch of mysterious, wonky issues.

Upvote 0
Why is everyone complaining about gps? I have taken 4 roadtrips since getting the phone, and never, NEVER have I had an issue with it. Lawyers??? C'mon...sue happy america getting in on the action. To hell with a CALs and all they involve...it is a phone, and damned good phone and no one needs to try and make money off of some tiny (yes, in the grand scheme of things) issue that really doesn't matter...forget the legal standpoint that will bite them in the butt if they try and take it to court and Samsung does not settle. Look at the craptastic iPhone 4--no CALs going on there and the issues are much bigger.

Sometimes I hate american capitalistic tendencies.

Upvote 0
Why is everyone complaining about gps? I have taken 4 roadtrips since getting the phone, and never, NEVER have I had an issue with it. Lawyers??? C'mon...sue happy america getting in on the action. To hell with a CALs and all they involve...it is a phone, and damned good phone and no one needs to try and make money off of some tiny (yes, in the grand scheme of things) issue that really doesn't matter...forget the legal standpoint that will bite them in the butt if they try and take it to court and Samsung does not settle. Look at the craptastic iPhone 4--no CALs going on there and the issues are much bigger.

Sometimes I hate american capitalistic tendencies.

That's fine if it works to your satisfaction, but keep in mind there are many of us who want, and rightly expect, better performance out of the Galaxy S line's GPS.

Some of us go geocaching, some of us hike and bike and walk...we need something that can do a better job of locating/tracking/recording. GPS is an integral part of today's smartphones and it's not unreasonable to want more than what we've been given from Samsung. In addition, this is supposed to be Samsung's premier phone, at least for a time. All its aspects should be up to par, and clearly they're not.

As far as the lawsuit goes, who's to say...it might force Samsung move a bit faster on the issue, though I doubt that. I don't want any money for the problems I'm having; I just want it fixed. It's the lawyers, really, who are after the money. Plaintiffs in a class action suit get virtually nothing more often than not. The lawyers are the ones who rake in the dough.

Upvote 0
there is probably only 2 people over at samsung who works at the software development department that's why it's taking a long time! LOL

why would i sign-up for that, if the GPS doesn't please you, im sure tmobile will gladly replace the phone for a different device, right? if the GPS is such a necessary part of your daily routine, then get the one that will work for you.. last time i checked, tmobile has varieties of phones to choose from.. so why kill myself in distress over just one "flawed" feature..

IMO.. only

Upvote 0
TMobile does not offer an equivalent high end phone to replace the Vibrant at this time.

That being said. Customers have an expectation that a product they purchase will function to the specifications at which it was sold when they spend their hard earned dollars, especially when their service provider has them sign a contract for one or two years. If the device they purchased does not perform as specified then legally their contract is null and void and their monies should be refunded or they can be offered an equivalent product to replace said product to be accepted at their discretion.

A contract is a two way street where both parties must benefit fully, not partially.

Don't even get me started on Samsung, who has had plenty of time to at least get some of the issues resolved with these products. (six months and counting)

If this situation is not resolved very soon, I will be canceling my contract with TMobile and going with AT&T (sucks) and buying an I phone which is a high end phone that seems to have been repaired and works. Keep in mind that I have been with TMobile since they opened their doors.
My biggest beef about this situation is that TMobile has continued to sell a know defective product making lots of money. This is FRAUD, and if you or I were in business and we were doing the same thing, can any of you say jail.

It's morally wrong.........and it frys me every time I see an add to buy this product.

I am also surprised that Google has not gotten into the mix and complained to Samsung, because this could damage their operating system in the eyes of the public, there by damaging their reputation.

This really could escalate into a pretty big boondoggle.

Upvote 0
Don't even get me started on Samsung, who has had plenty of time to at least get some of the issues resolved with these products. (six months and counting)

...TMobile has continued to sell a know defective product making lots of money. This is FRAUD, and if you or I were in business and we were doing the same thing, can any of you say jail.

It's morally wrong.........and it frys me every time I see an add to buy this product.

I am also surprised that Google has not gotten into the mix and complained to Samsung, because this could damage their operating system in the eyes of the public, there by damaging their reputation.

This really could escalate into a pretty big boondoggle.

WAT? GPS is supposed to work within a margin of error--always has, always will. If you want pin-point accuracy, you need to buy a dedicated GPS unit made for GPSing your location within inches.

This is a PHONE we are talking about--this is like arguing that an iPod touch makes terrible Skype calls, constantly dropping calls or getting static. It is ONE feature of many on said device, and if it works a bit then you are fine--provided the initial intention of the phone (calls/sms) works flawlessly.

Google will do nothing--the only people I see that take the GPS issue so crazy serious are the ones on these boards. Most of my friends run android, 6 with Samsung devices (after my convincing) and they have 0, that is a ZERO, negative things to say. GPS works great for them, as does every other feature.

To this day I cannot figure out why everyone has their panties in a bunch over simple GPS. It is a phone first--feel lucky you have GPS too.

Reactions: IOWA
Upvote 0
The GPS itself does not work for the majority of Galaxy S users worldwide.

When I say Does Not Work, I mean ranging from "Takes forever to connect" to "Is inaccurate" to (in my case) "At no point in time does the GPS work in any way shape or form. At all. In any country I have tested it in, ranging from China to the US".

That being said, the device CAN still use (in SOME cases) Network Locations to simulate GPS.

The Captivate's OTA is, according to Samsung, going to fix the GPS (Samsung States That The OTA Update For The Samsung Captivate Will Address GPS Issues AndroidSPIN | Your No.1 source for Everything Android.), which means the rest of the Galaxy S devices should be fixed shortly as well.

Upvote 0
WAT? GPS is supposed to work within a margin of error--always has, always will. If you want pin-point accuracy, you need to buy a dedicated GPS unit made for GPSing your location within inches.

This is a PHONE we are talking about--this is like arguing that an iPod touch makes terrible Skype calls, constantly dropping calls or getting static. It is ONE feature of many on said device, and if it works a bit then you are fine--provided the initial intention of the phone (calls/sms) works flawlessly.

Google will do nothing--the only people I see that take the GPS issue so crazy serious are the ones on these boards. Most of my friends run android, 6 with Samsung devices (after my convincing) and they have 0, that is a ZERO, negative things to say. GPS works great for them, as does every other feature.

To this day I cannot figure out why everyone has their panties in a bunch over simple GPS. It is a phone first--feel lucky you have GPS too.

I'm talking about facts and you want to give your opinion!

You assume that I'm only talking about the GPS,

How about the GPS does not work at all. and the map program locks up the phone to the point that the only way to get the phone back is to pull the battery and reboot, how about constant lag, how about the phone freezing every once in a while when a phone call comes in and you cannot answer the call.

many people payed for a phone with an expectation that it would perform as advertised, it does not even come close to phones that are two years old. And your point was????????????????

I'm really tired of people justifying everything, or accepting every thing as OK when it really is not.:mad:

Upvote 0
I'm talking about facts and you want to give your opinion!

You assume that I'm only talking about the GPS,

How about the GPS does not work at all. and the map program locks up the phone to the point that the only way to get the phone back is to pull the battery and reboot, how about constant lag, how about the phone freezing every once in a while when a phone call comes in and you cannot answer the call.

many people payed for a phone with an expectation that it would perform as advertised, it does not even come close to phones that are two years old. And your point was????????????????

I'm really tired of people justifying everything, or accepting every thing as OK when it really is not.:mad:
Not a jab, but a real question. Seriously, if I were that distraught over any product I would send the ultimate message to the seller, which is to not reward them by letting them keep my money.

I am not defending either Sammy or T Mo's poor GPS performance, lack of support or awful communication. I am only pointing out that as consumers we always have the ultimate fix, don't spend money with them and/or return products during the grace period that do not meet our expectations.

But to reward them with the sale and then complain about it is truly a mixed message that they have a hard time understanding. Product returns and a future with diminished sales is a message that gets a urgent reply.

Upvote 0

Seriously? GPS accuracy to anywhere within 50 to 1200 meters is supposed to be an acceptable margin of error? Before I flashed a custom ROM my GPS would show me sometimes miles away from my actual location if it would lock at all.

And please stop with the "it's a phone first" argument because it's shallow and ridiculous. If folks wanted to feel "lucky" for any feature set beyond basic functionality I have a feeling they would have opted for one of the free phones like a gravity or some crappy little flip phone that makes calls and sends texts.

As it is some folks paid between $200 and $500 for a phone that advertises a specific feature set and they are absolutely justified in being pissed off that some of these features are not working as advertised, if they work at all.

Telling them that they should "feel lucky" is just crude and obtuse.

Seriously, fan boy much?

Upvote 0

Look, I'm really happy for you that your GPS works great after four road trips. Really, I'm pleased that your handset is perfect, even though you don't really need GPS. But try to understand this: GPS is not working on everyone's phone. In fact, it's not working for most people. So get off your effin' high horse just because you managed to snag a working unit.

Upvote 0
Xda has been better for a long time. Later.

xda is a fine place indeed. I've been there quite a bit lately reading up on the Bionix ROM.

Sorry that things didn't work out for you here; I have no doubt the Admins and Mods wish that everyone who uses this site finds his experience to be a good one. People out here get along reasonably well I think. It's true that a person finds conflict with ideas or personalities, but overall I think it's a good place.

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion or way of looking at things. I've learned from experience, however, that it's not good to let a particular post, subject or even member get under one's skin.

With respect to the GPS issue with the Galaxy S line, like it or not, it's a big deal to many of us. If it's not to you, hey, that's fine. I'm not going to flame you for it. I might question your view because I don't understand it, but I'm not going to essentially call you an idiot because you don't agree.

In such a case as this, perhaps it's best to simply let it go and acknowledge that not everyone sees a matter as do you. There are plenty of other subject out here with which to involve oneself.

We'll be here if you decide to return.

Upvote 0
Xda has been better for a long time. Later.

Yeah, go ahead and say the same shit there that you did here. I'm sure at XDA we'll be all ears about a guy dumping on us because our phones don't work correctly.

Im just wondering why so many people have an issue with the same box of electronic crap that I use with no issues.

Right, because clearly the explanation must be that we're all just using our phones wrong. Is there some super secret menu or setting that you've discovered that makes all busted Galaxy S GPSs work?

Oh, wait, there must not be since Samsung is releasing fixes for busted GPSs. Amazing. Even the company that makes the phone admits there are GPS issues, but you, you know different. You can use yours fine. Ergo, everyone else must be wrong.

So yeah, come on over to XDA. We just luurve your special kind of logic.

Upvote 0
I do not mean to offend people in anyway. I am frustrated when people sit there and listen to others who are having issues and make a statement that they believe that they are wrong or crazy or lying based on assumptions, about the problems they are or may be having.

If some one is having a problem with something I am not going to put them down or call them a lier, I would rather help them or direct them to where they can get help to resolve their issue.

Show some empathy and understanding..........

Upvote 0
It is sad but it probably have to come to a lawsuit. Because money is being made and agendas are being fulfilled. I have not seen one review that said beware the GPS is broken, the device although powerful has terrible lag and less than stellar battery life. I downloaded the GPS test last night, In view were 10 satellites in use 0 ! But, that was only after trying to launch the app twice because previous launches froze the phone. I had to pull the battery to get it back to operation. Meanwhile Samsung is bragging about how many units sold. And pushing tablet married to carriers. Sorry no way! But hey there are still 7 days left in September!:thinking:

Upvote 0
After much resistance to flashing custom stuff I rooted and flashed Bionix 1.3 / Kings last night. No lag fix for me, I didn't really think it necessary.

Great ROM, it's like an entirely new phone now in terms of performance. I'm not getting much more in terms of battery, about the same as what I am used to which is neither terrible nor all that good - but the phone is extremely responsive now, zero lag, very snappy, and I now have a working GPS.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones