1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

LCD Density Changer

Last Updated:

1. appelflap

appelflap Member This Topic's Starter

LCD Density Changer

v5.1 update. Description: http://androidforums.com/application-announcements/169551-lcd-density-changer.html#post1650278

Link to app-site with tips & tricks, info, help and faqs: LCD Density Changer

----

Change the density of your phone/tablet with a click on a button. Comes with a boot monitor that will get you out of situations where a wrong density don't let you into the system.

By changing the density you can create a high resolution effect on your screen. The result is that more information can be displayed. For example:
    screenshot1.jpg Density Effect.jpg

Screenshot of the interface:
    lcd-dc v4.jpg

(0.97 dollar or 0.75 eurocent). Scan:
    chart density.png
    Or search for "LCD Density Changer" "Density Changer" "LCD Density" etc.

Advertisement
  2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

3. appelflap

Forgot to mention, but this tool can be a great aid for the visually impaired. A higher density will enlarge the text and the screen elements on the display.

You can contact me (info.beansoft@gmail.com) for some more info.

4. johnlgalt

I am gonna try it out now - Let's see the results on my phone and I'll email you if I need / want anything... :D

5. johnlgalt

Correction - after I update all my apps and make a nandroid backup lol...

6. appelflap

I created a safe restore method that in principle must work for all devices without making a Nandroid backup. Read about it here: LCD Density Changer: Restore !

I say "in principle" because I only tested it on my device (Samsung Galaxy S). So a nandroid backup isn't a bad idea for now :) I have to wait for substantial feedback for making statements as "absolutely safe" etc.

What the method does is the following: by placing the update.zip in the root of the sdcard, one can go in restore mode if the device doesn't boot anymore. Applying the update.zip will set the backup back of the file that is modified during the changing of the density with the app.

7. johnlgalt

So, when you're installing, you create the update.zip on the fly?

Not a bad idea - but if that particular file {name} already exists? As in suppose a person has a particular theme that they like to reinstall over stock every time it is updated....

(Don't worry, I'm rooted, and use ClockworkMod, so none of my files are named update.zip - but just in case others out there *do* have that file that already exists....)

8. appelflap

For now I give the user a option to download the update.zip from the website and decide for themself if they want to use it. You're right if an update.zip exists and users are depending on it (for example because they use it for a backup) I can't just rename that file and write my own update.zip to the sdcard.

In the new version i've built in a extensive test procedure that will check if it is safe to use the app on a device. Together with the boot monitor this should make it safe for everyone to use. (although a backup is still adviced :) ) I don't expect a restore procedure would be necessary with these facilities. Nevertheless, I can't cover all possible scenario's ... Feedback is always very much appreciated.

BTW if a device passes the test this still doesn't mean that the kernel/rom will accept a density change. It only means that the device doesn't get into booting problems.

9. appelflap

Update: now with preview/temp change functionality. Change the density without rebooting the phone.

Preview/ temporarily change the density setting:

• to check (safely) if your device will support the new density value before saving the new density setting.
    • to play games or apps that require a particular density setting. Keep playing those games you liked with your default density.
    • to experiment with different density settings to see which setting is the best for you.
    • now possible to use for rooted devices without r/w access to the system directory like HTC Desire

10. appelflap

Yes, the version numbers climb up really fast... No suprise, the new density tweak involves a lot of work to make it work on all devices..

announcement for a new, major update

Version 5.1, up on the android market now, contains a new saving method (apart from the old one that is still there) that is safe and will work on all devices. Also on those devices that don't have r/w access to the system directory.

Also, the new version contains a Desktop Widget. Very useful for those who want to change the density to a saved value at run time.

---
    Removed are the test procedure and the bootmonitor (obsolete as long as one uses the preview button to check the new density before one is going to set it to system default density setting)

App-site for more info, tips & tricks, help and faqs: LCD Density Changer