LCD Density - nice

Last Updated:

1. landwomble

landwomble Member This Topic's Starter

Has everyone seen that you can change the LCD density on the Desire? (Well, on all Android handsets really). It simulates a higher resolution, fits more text on screen etc.
    There's an app on the market which does it, although it won't work on the Desire unless you're S-OFF.
    All you need to do is extract the build.prop file from /system to your PC (in recovery, use ADB PULL), and using a text editor change the value of LCD Density from original 240 to 200, then ADB push it back and reboot.
    I'm *really* pleased with the result. Combined with Launcher Pro I've a whole new feel to my phone...

Advertisement
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Can I see a before and after screenshot of that please?

3. landwomble

landwomble Member This Topic's Starter

No before pics but this is what it looks like after. You can use more extreme values but I think 200 works best.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Panama likes this.
  4. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Thanks.

So basically Its like using a 1080i source on a native 720p TV.

5. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Well-Known Member

Panama likes this.
  6. Panama

Panama Active Member

Thanks for this I had read about it over at XDA but didn't try it (forgot) but having used unrevoked on my desire running 2.2 this has enabled s-off automatically.

The market app worked first time without any issues on the HD rom I have installed and combined with a setting of 200 and Launcher Pro set with 5 columns and 7 rows looks fantastic!

7. Panama

Panama Active Member

P.S the only very minor issue I have noticed is that the lock screen (mine is set to pin code) looks naff. But a small price to pay!

You should read the XDA Devs link above as they recommend downloading spare parts and turning off compatibility mode if you change the density.

8. tef89

tef89 Well-Known Member

I had a play, set it to 200 - quite nice, but decided to go back to 240 (default), now although I can see the screens are correct in terms of sizing, the app drawer now shows the apps in rows of 5 rather than 4. It's ok but it looks a little bunched up - can't seem to change it back.

9. w.maddler

w.maddler Member

Has anyone experienced any issue while trying to edit contacts linked to a facebook user? Or, at least, that is what's happening on my Desire HD. Not sure this happens on Desire too.

Thx
    William