• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root LCD density

Yeahha

Usually off topic
Jul 29, 2010
Here is something you newer footers may not have known you could do with root, change the LCD density to make your phone screen appear a higher resolution.

It is a simple hack of the build.prop. Using root explorer out are looking for the line "ro.sf.lcd_density=240" you will then change the 240 to a lower number. Keep in mind this may affect how some apps look in a bad way.

When doing this hack please do not drastically change the density at once, go down by steps of 20 or less per reboot so you do not have issues upon boot.

I personally like 185 for AOSP roms using launcher pro and I think 209 or 210 is best for sense roms but I am an AOSP guy so I could be wrong. I am attaching 3 screenshots of unedited build.prop files and 1 screenshot of an edited one.

THLtqPT

Unedited LTB

yf1rwbI

Unedited OMFGB

v4hNq6H

Unedited Gingeritis

W6mJ1Hx

Edited LTB

Those of us with extensive root experience probably already know about it but many people here are new to android or rooting and likely don't know about it ;)

How is this just NOW being posted. lol. Been doin this for the longest, Im a 190 fan. Great write up Yeahha.

Yes, there are apps that do this, but its easier to do it through the build.prop file.

Upvote 0
How is this just NOW being posted. lol. Been doin this for the longest, Im a 190 fan. Great write up Yeahha.

Yes, there are apps that do this, but its easier to do it through the build.prop file.

It is one of those things that those of us who have been rooted for a while don't think about needing a write up and those who are new to rooting didn't know they could do.

I agree why bother with an app hoping it gets it right when you can go in and change the density quicker with just root explorer.

Upvote 0
It is one of those things that those of us who have been rooted for a while don't think about needing a write up and those who are new to rooting didn't know they could do.

I agree why bother with an app hoping it gets it right when you can go in and change the density quicker with just Total Commander.

Fixed good sir. TC is the dopeness. Double pane screenage ftw.

Upvote 0
Astro for SD files, Root Explorer for root files, ES for bluetooth file transfer, the stock one because I am too lazy to remove it, now I'm gonna test out Total Commander

LOL. Jeeeeze man. TC for me removed the need for Root Explorer and ES took the place of Astro, but TC does the same thing that Astro and ES do on top of Root Explorer. All in double pane madness!

Upvote 0
ES has the bluetooth file thansfer for me and I have an android mp3 player that has no market access so that is helpful. I think astro has the function too but ES was the easiest to get set up. I personally like the GUI more on astro than either root explorer or ES so I just stick with all of them. Sure I don't want an app to change my screen density but I want several that all do the same basic functions :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
ES has the bluetooth file thansfer for me and I have an android mp3 player that has no market access so that is helpful. I think astro has the function too but ES was the easiest to get set up. I personally like the GUI more on astro than either root explorer or ES so I just stick with all of them. Sure I don't want an app to change my screen density but I want several that all do the same basic functions :rolleyes:

^This made me go
at-first-i-was-like-.jpg

Upvote 0
LOL. The first time I changed my density, I accidentally set it to 120...I had to wipe and reflash. lol.

I could see it now "I want one pixel per icon! NO MORE NO LESS" :D, or would that be someone else on the forums...?

I went the wrong way the first time I changed mine, I was like ->:eek:<- perhaps I should have read more...

Reactions: McLabia
Upvote 0
May want to add not to drop it too drastically at once, and it may bootloop a couple times before the ROM loads. Its normal, don't panic.

Drop it 20 at a time to help avoid issues.

yes,please add this to the posts... last thing we want is a bunch of " i tried to adjust my screen density and my phone exploded :eek:" posts

also id like to add,tho i do agree it may seem somewhat unneccessary to keep an app on your phone whose results are accomplishable with a simple build.prop hack,please keep in mind that you guys have been doing this a long time. its easy for inexperienced people to fudge things up in root explorer,and tho they prolly cant do anything thats unfixable,it can cause alot of fustration.

different users have different comfort levels of modification,and i would not discourage anyone who is imtimidated by the idea of modifying system files with a root file manager to simply just download a density app. theyre only a few KB in size and its not like the TB is short on internal memory. :)

Reactions: Yeahha
Upvote 0
yes,please add this to the posts... last thing we want is a bunch of " i tried to adjust my screen density and my phone exploded :eek:" posts

also id like to add,tho i do agree it may seem somewhat unneccessary to keep an app on your phone whose results are accomplishable with a simple build.prop hack,please keep in mind that you guys have been doing this a long time. its easy for inexperienced people to fudge things up in root explorer,and tho they prolly cant do anything thats unfixable,it can cause alot of fustration.

different users have different comfort levels of modification,and i would not discourage anyone who is imtimidated by the idea of modifying system files with a root file manager to simply just download a density app. theyre only a few KB in size and its not like the TB is short on internal memory. :)

OP and sticky both updated ;)

I would encourage new rooters to try to use a file explorer to edit the buid.prop instead of downloading an app, the app may not work with all phones. Also with anything that modifies something in your root you should know what it is doing in case you need to undo it, or it could do something that boot loops your phone. Just like part of the reason it is encouraged to root via the manual process learning what different parts of the root of your phone are also help people feel more comfortable in navigating around and could be beneficial if they try to do another hack that doesn't have an app linked, like fixing the market thumbprint on some roms :D

Upvote 0
yes,please add this to the posts... last thing we want is a bunch of &quot; i tried to adjust my screen density and my phone exploded :eek:&quot; posts

Lol. My bolt is my first Android. I knew NOTHING about them before I got it my sign up day was three days before k got my phone. Lol. I just have a brain that let's me figure things out. Plus I read and retain what I read.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones