• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root LCD density

OK, so I found the file in the system folder, and found the line of text to edit, but how do I edit it? It won't let me do anything b/c it says it is read only. Do I hit that "mount r/w" button at the top of root explorer screen?

you have to click the bottom in the top right that say r/w or r/o. No offense, but if you don't know that you probably don't need to be messing with your density, to each his own though

Reactions: McLabia
Upvote 0
OK, so I found the file in the system folder, and found the line of text to edit, but how do I edit it? It won't let me do anything b/c it says it is read only. Do I hit that "mount r/w" button at the top of root explorer screen?

That would be correct.

you have to click the bottom in the top right that say r/w or r/o. No offense, but if you don't know that you probably don't need to be messing with your density, to each his own though

Come on worm (be nice :p) root explorer auto saves the non-edited build.prop so if someone screws up they can restore it. Not to mention most people should have at least 1 backup and a rom zip on their SD so if they screw up too bad they can fix the issue.

Reactions: McLabia
Upvote 0
Come on worm (be nice :p) root explorer auto saves the non-edited build.prop so if someone screws up they can restore it. Not to mention most people should have at least 1 backup and a rom zip on their SD so if they screw up too bad they can fix the issue.

It has nothing to do with being mean or nice, it's reality. If you don't know your basics you shouldn't be screwing with your build.prop, IMO

Upvote 0
It has nothing to do with being mean or nice, it's reality. If you don't know your basics you shouldn't be screwing with your build.prop, IMO

I can agree with that, but if someone is so inclined to screw around with what they don't understand and know they can't screw it up that badly then I see no reason to try to stop them. Part of how I "learned" how to manipulate my phone was trial and error.

Upvote 0
I can agree with that, but if someone is so inclined to screw around with what they don't understand and know they can't screw it up that badly then I see no reason to try to stop them. Part of how I "learned" how to manipulate my phone was trial and error.

Agreed and so did I and I wasn't trying to stop anyone, I just gave my opinion. If he couldn't figure out how to allow write permissions on his own without posting, maybe this is something he doesn't need to try is all I was trying to say. There is plenty of time to play trial and error with your phone, we all did, but we also knew the basics first

Upvote 0
Agreed and so did I and I wasn't trying to stop anyone, I just gave my opinion. If he couldn't figure out how to allow write permissions on his own without posting, maybe this is something he doesn't need to try is all I was trying to say. There is plenty of time to play trial and error with your phone, we all did, but we also knew the basics first

I want to give a good arguement but I really can't all the ones I think of make me laugh

Upvote 0
Well, I wasn't really going to mess with it. But hey, don't I get any credit for guessing the correct answer? I just wanted to make sure with you guys before i actually did it. Besides, I've got everything backed up.

Upvote 0
Well, I wasn't really going to mess with it. But hey, don't I get any credit for guessing the correct answer? I just wanted to make sure with you guys before i actually did it. Besides, I've got everything backed up.

PFFFT!
no-cookies-for-you.jpg

Upvote 0
OK, as I understand, if I want to run a sense 3.0 rom, I'll need to do this to get the screen to look right. My question is: will a nandroid backup save me in case I mess this up, i.e. will it revert back to the original value if I restore my backup?

Honestly, as long as you stay under 250 and over 120, youll be fine. I know a couple people that have run at 140. Looks like shit imo, but it works.

Upvote 0
ATTENTION ALL THOSE THAT CHANGE DENSITY!

The new market checks density size of your phone to see what apps your phone will be able to run. Im a BIG fan of a higher density, I usually run around 185, and this serves me well. Granted some apps do NOT scale properly, but its the ones that for me dont matter.

As of late Ive been having issues with updating certain apps that my phone is currently running like Flash, Firefox and Lookout. Ive been buggin Zig to fix the issue, but then today like getting kicked in the balls by the baby youre holding, I was given a sharp reminder of that change. lol.

Now Im updating everything that Ive been missing out on the last few weeks and saring this with you all. So from now on if you see "This application cant be used by your device", its your density. A quick revert to 240 will fix this. Simply set it back after you update or leave it as is. Ive yet to play with any other densities to say what the min is, but I will and then Ill report back. Unless of course some of you would like to chime in with your density and ability to update.

Reactions: Yeahha
Upvote 0
Heh that would explain a lot as to my issues with not being able to update. I figured it was something to do with a thing I tweaked but didn't think it was the LCD density. I wonder if we drop it low enough if it would allow us to install some tablet only apps?

I think it might actually. Yep, just searched for the Swiftkey Tablet X and it shows that I can download it. This is a really stupid check imo.

Update on the Density issue, I changed it to 220 and got the device incompatible issue so, if its not set to stock, you wont be able to update your apps, which is a big pain in the ass from the market. Trev is looking to see if it can be disabled.

Upvote 0
Woot woot! Ziggy fixed this problem. I can now update anything and I have no checking to see what my density is. Ill be posting it on my site in a second.

Alright Thanks to Ziggy and Trev, the market no longer searches for LCD density. Grab it off my site. I posted the stock and blue themed versions. :)

http://devious-intentions.info/modules.php?name=Downloads&cid=1

Reactions: Thats
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones