LCD or OLED Screen

Last Updated:

1. t41n7ed

t41n7ed Member

Anyone find any info on whether it's equip with a OLED or LCD screen?

Advertisement
  2. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

I believe that it's LCD.
  3. t41n7ed

t41n7ed Member

Now why would they put a LCD instead of a AMOLED screen. Aren't phones starting to move more towards a LED screen.
  4. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

Ask HTC that :p
  5. ghdtpdna

ghdtpdna Well-Known Member

6. AJ_EVO

AJ_EVO Well-Known Member

That's a great link, thanks for sharing! I'll take a sharper screen that has slightly less vibrant colors, over an interpolated screen with blurry text any day of the week.
  7. socal2ks

socal2ks Well-Known Member

Does this mean it will be visible in sunlight?
  8. AJ_EVO

AJ_EVO Well-Known Member

Yes. LCDs seem to be the best performers in direct sunlight.

Super AMOLED is pretty visible in sunlight. Regular AMOLED sucks in the sun.
  9. ghdtpdna

ghdtpdna Well-Known Member

But pretty difficult to see under DIRECT sunlight like EVERY OTHER screen.
  10. AJ_EVO

AJ_EVO Well-Known Member

Correct
  11. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

One main reason and a second bonus reason:

1. Cost. A 4.3" amoled would be rough expensive. Heck, the main maker of the tech (Samsung) decided to go with a 4" display and not join the Jones's. Glass yields for these displays are still on the high end for cost curve consideration.

2. Supply. LCD is a mature tech that has zero R&D costs and is in the milking stage as far as cost & availability, but moled tech is constrained BIG TIME, due to Samsung trying to do a global launch of their Galaxy line of devices.

Net result is had Moto not went with LCD, the launch would not be summer. More like EOTY and the X would likely be 4".
  12. OutlawFirebird

OutlawFirebird Well-Known Member

Oled would help the battery life though.
  13. rushmore

Yes, but a much later launch, due to supply and probably a smaller display.

"Beer", it's what's for dinner.
  14. t41n7ed

t41n7ed Member

As long as the Droid X has better battery life then my Incredible I'll be happy.
  15. rushmore

No problems for me using the 1750mah Seidio, but the 1300mah did blow chunks. I think the stock battery was a low-end one. I use the heck out of my Inc and lasts as good as any other smartphone I have owned.

A lot of the people that have complained crack me up, since they usually have live wallpapers, widgets and social apps running. Probably GPS on some as well. What do folks expect out of a snapdragon running all that stuff?
  16. So they wouldnt face the same shortage that HTC did. And the lcd screen is supposed to make it easier to see in direct sunlight
  17. fastharryDOTcom

fastharryDOTcom Well-Known Member

tagged