• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What would you rather have???

• Stock 1.5

Votes: 19 22.9%
  • A DEV ROM

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Leaked Ruu 2.1

Votes: 38 45.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Excellent information!

This information is reason enough for me to wait for the official version.
My thoughts exactly, I am also waiting for official version. I understand that everyone wants to get up to 2.1 right away, but without all of the information on what this RUU might do or might limit you to in the future it really is a gamble, and one that I am not willing to take as I need this phone to last me another year :cool:.

Upvote 0
My thoughts exactly, I am also waiting for official version. I understand that everyone wants to get up to 2.1 right away, but without all of the information on what this RUU might do or might limit you to in the future it really is a gamble, and one that I am not willing to take as I need this phone to last me another year :cool:.

Ditto!

On a side note, this link SHOULD get placed in with the original post!

Upvote 0
Here is a much more in-depth post by one of the devs on this 2.1 leak. Worth a read before doing anything with it:

Sprint 2.1 leak - Android Central Forums

First of all, I posted yesterday a thread with an explanation of how to go back from this RUU.

Second, the first thing I did with my phone after I did the RUU was to properly root it and then install busybox.

I didn't spend any more time reading the rest of his post since the first part of it was so horribly wrong.

Having said that, waiting is not a bad option either. This RUU is working amazingly well on my phone. I can't imagine the final release is too far off since this is a pretty complete package. I have found very few issues with this image and it seems quite a few others here are pretty happy with it too. I just wish there weren't so much fear mongering going on here. Why in the world would Sprint send a nearly complete 2.1 test to it's beta testers that would immediately and permanently lock their phones out from ever being able to upgrade to the final version???

Sometimes it is best to just take a step back and think for yourself instead of letting someone on the internet tell you what to think. Personally I installed this yesterday when I read that the person who had leaked this RUU was one of the devs who made the ROM I was using at the time. I decided that if that person could betray Damageless and put his source for the leak in danger of losing their job then I couldn't trust his ROM on my phone.

Reactions: me2u69
Upvote 0
Sometimes it is best to just take a step back and think for yourself instead of letting someone on the internet tell you what to think.
Nice assumption that I let others think for me. I am not a dev, do not claim to be, and only have a basic understanding of what is being done with the RUU and other ROMS.

That said the reason I linked to that thread is that there has been a lot of questions on what this RUU might do to ones phone - with little explanations from anyone in this thread. It is just another piece of information so that people can think for their selves and make an informed decision.

Upvote 0
Nice assumption that I let others think for me. I am not a dev, do not claim to be, and only have a basic understanding of what is being done with the RUU and other ROMS.

That said the reason I linked to that thread is that there has been a lot of questions on what this RUU might do to ones phone - with little explanations from anyone in this thread. It is just another piece of information so that people can think for their selves and make an informed decision.

I wasn't pointing my comments at any one person. I was explaining that the person who made that thread was wrong and that the information in that thread was not accurate. I understand wanting to put the information out there so everyone can decide for themselves, the problem is that the information in the thread you posted is wrong and therefor not useful in anything but scaring folks off from using this RUU.

On a side note, I am really starting to wonder why so many devs are trying to get people to use their versions based off this RUU. Why scare people away from something that came from Sprint, and try to get them to use your software that is merely a modified version of this???

Upvote 0
i dont know why but everytime i click next to update my phone on the screen it says hold on while it verifing information on your android phone please wait... i wait then it says usb connection error ! what am i doing wrong ? i have my phone plugged in and i tried it mounted and not and still dont work hmmm any help??

The phone will connect and disconnect itself from USB several times throughout the process. Don't mount it. Just plug it into the USB and run the executable. Let the error message come up and wait. If nothing happens after 10 minutes, post back.

Upvote 0
i dont know why but everytime i click next to update my phone on the screen it says hold on while it verifing information on your android phone please wait... i wait then it says usb connection error ! what am i doing wrong ? i have my phone plugged in and i tried it mounted and not and still dont work hmmm any help??

I do believe you need to have the proper drivers install as well!

Reactions: gsxr600wheelin
Upvote 0
Also, anyone who has no protected apps in your market, here is how I fixed mine.

I modified my build.prop last night but it is quicker to just find a working one. So I posted one at the link below.

1)extract that and then adb push the build.prop to /system/
2)clear market cache
As I said before, I modified my own and last night after doing this it still didn't show the protected apps in market, however this morning it did. So it may take awhile to kick in for some reason.

Programs missing from market with RUU 2.1 - Page 2 - xda-developers

Upvote 0
alright you crazy son's of bitches. i am super pumped up. just rooted and now installing the 2.1 zip. thanks to everyone who put up anything useful cause i read a lot of stuff. really big thanks.

can i get a little more help with finding the busybox info, though. i can't find it in all my searching in several forums. also, what does that bad boy do? and the superuser (?) stuff damageless talks about. those two things i am missing. i hope i didn't need those first. :\

ps
this might sound weird, but when you are using the cmd prompt in windows 7 there a alot of how-tos that tell you to use: cd c:\blah blah blah. well, if you are having problems trying to change directories . . . make sure you use a "\" at the end of the line. sooo: cd c:\android-blah\tools\ a lot of instructions omit that part and for me it was required to get the damn thing to change directories. without it it kept telling me the directory didn't exist. very annoying.

sooo as of now my phone seems to just keep switching from the white HTC quitely brilliant screen and the sprint splas screen. i expect it should do that for a while so i am gonna go smoke a cigarette. people said 10 minutes? i hope i didn't do it wrong. fingers crossed.

thanks again for everyone putting all their experiences online because it truly did help me grab bits and pieces when i ran into a problem.

i will report back in a few with hopefully good news.

Upvote 0
alright you crazy son's of bitches

ps
this might sound weird, but when you are using the cmd prompt in windows 7 there a alot of how-tos that tell you to use: cd c:\blah blah blah. well, if you are having problems trying to change directories . . . make sure you use a "\" at the end of the line. sooo: cd c:\android-blah\tools\ a lot of instructions omit that part and for me it was required to get the damn thing to change directories. without it it kept telling me the directory didn't exist. very annoying.

Yup I fought that for a day or so, and finally figured out what the problem was!
There is so much information on the internet about this stuff, but no one place to get it all!
Glad you got it working!

Upvote 0
alright you crazy son's of bitches. i am super pumped up. just rooted and now installing the 2.1 zip. thanks to everyone who put up anything useful cause i read a lot of stuff. really big thanks.

can i get a little more help with finding the busybox info, though. i can't find it in all my searching in several forums. also, what does that bad boy do? and the superuser (?) stuff damageless talks about. those two things i am missing. i hope i didn't need those first. :\

ps

sooo as of now my phone seems to just keep switching from the white HTC quitely brilliant screen and the sprint splas screen. i expect it should do that for a while so i am gonna go smoke a cigarette. people said 10 minutes? i hope i didn't do it wrong. fingers crossed.

thanks again for everyone putting all their experiences online because it truly did help me grab bits and pieces when i ran into a problem.

i will report back in a few with hopefully good news.

Did it worked? I'm backing-up and about to flash...

Upvote 0
First of all, I posted yesterday a thread with an explanation of how to go back from this RUU.

No offense, but ti the average user (which is most of us), the info is very useful whereas the link you posted fails to explain to the average user how to get rid of the RUU they just ran.

Some of us use our phones for work and NEED the phone to work properly and simply don't have hours to figure out what will fix x or what will brick the phone.

Additionally, the link to AC was able to answer certain questions that I personally had. Such as being STOCK and being to go back to 1.5 if needed (with the new hboot).

I've seen people rush into things posted on forums before without doing any research. I think it's great that people are sharing the info they find! :)

Upvote 0
is anyone who installed this 2.1 update have the problem of the awake time and up time being the same? I'm not sure if this is affecting battery life in anyway, i assume it is because the my batter still only lasted a day on moderate usage

If your awake time and up time are the same then you have something that is keeping it awake!
Goto setting/about phone/battery/battery use, and see what is running all the time!

I unplugged my phone yesterday at 8 in the morning ran the RUU at 9, and had very heavy use the whole day and at midnight when I plugged my phone in I still had 30% battery!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones