• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Leak root has been found

The fact that only one success has been reported here so far (post #15) tells us that 1. it is possible, 2. it is a daunting method and probably a method in need of a few more days of honing before the vast number of leakers can see it as what the the thread title says it is.

It is good that the instructions have been released, though; open source thrives on public use, testing and reporting.

Upvote 0
I think the number of successful people is up to 5 now. And Tereg has been able to reproduce his results. It's still very tricky to do, but I think all of the skeptics can stop being so negative now.

Yes, you can unroot. No, so far nobody has been able to make this work with the OEM sd card. That doesn't mean it's not possible, so those that are willing, please keep trying with your OEM card. I think someone mentioned getting it to work on a 4GB class 4 PNY card too, so that shows us that there may be other options available.

Upvote 0
I think the number of successful people is up to 5 now. And Tereg has been able to reproduce his results. It's still very tricky to do, but I think all of the skeptics can stop being so negative now.

Well, if being a skeptic is negative, then including, "..it's very tricky to do.." along with an estimate of only 5 successes in who knows how many attempts, seems contradictory to your next remark, "..stop being negative.." ;)

I say wait if you want an easier go of it as the method is perfected, and don't wait if you consider yourself a tester who is willing to post reports of when and how the method as it is failed on your device.

Upvote 0
Well, if being a skeptic is negative, then including, "..it's very tricky to do.." along with an estimate of only 5 successes in who knows how many attempts, seems contradictory to your next remark, "..stop being negative.." ;)

I say wait if you want an easier go of it as the method is perfected, and don't wait if you consider yourself a tester who is willing to post reports of when and how the method as it is failed on your device.

My skeptic remark was aimed at the people saying things like "go ahead and waste your time on this" or "if you even believe these people are telling the truth" (Not actual quotes, but you get the idea)

When I said that it's still very tricky, I didn't mean that in a negative or discouraging way at all. I just meant that it will require some patience and a little luck to get it working. I actually think that considering the amount of variables that exist, a few people getting it to work overnight is pretty promising. I'm also guessing that there are probably more success stories outside of the xda/irc/androidforums community that haven't been reported.

I have a xp/ubuntu rig sitting in the other room that I may do some testing with later myself. I know that my chances of making it work aren't all that great considering my current lack of experience with this stuff, but if I can help contribute to locking/narrowing down some of the timing or sd card variables it will only speed up finding a reliable method. What I'd really like to see come of out all of this is maybe one of the devs being able to write a script that automates most of it and basically tells you when to pull the sd card. I know, I know.......wishful thinking, but I'm still optimistic :cool:

Upvote 0
I see what you mean.

Also, thinking back to the pre-rooting days for Eris, I don't recall seeing much of anything posted as "try this, hope it works." Perhaps there were such posts, I purchased my Eris in January and joined here shortly thereafter and have not read the archives. ;)

The postings since I joined were all, "..when we get root we're going to be able to (fill in the blank)."

When the instructions and guide arrived, I don't recall seeing any false starts, meaning, a set of instructions which caused about the opposite success/failure rate as these leak to root instructions are eliciting:

- efforts for root for 1.5.. 95% success/5% failure

- efforts for root for leak.. 5% success/95% failure

(the above data is 95% wild guess/5% reportage of observed data :p)

Upvote 0
I think the official release of 2.1 had a bit of influence on public testing/reporting of various exploit methods for the leaks. It seemed that there was a lot of fear about going public with a possible exploit and HTC getting wind of it and locking it down in the 2.1 release. Now that it's done and there's no impending update the comfort level has risen.

As far as the method for 1.5, it was kind of an overnight miracle. One day we're getting nowhere, the next day a signed root rom shows up, is tested, and bam, we have root for the patient people. :p :(

I also recall other things being tested but being ruled out due to different kernels etc. This info was freely given out since there was no worry of HTC fixing something that wasn't "broken" in the first place and people would then know to move on to looking for the next method.

Upvote 0
been trying since yesterday. put about 3-4 hours into this.
i think it is a matter of timing and some are getting lucky. i think eventually this may lead to an easier more reliable method.

if someone were to make a 3 click version of this, i think there is enough of a small market for this. I would be willing to pay $20 for an easy fool proof method. I am sure there are others out there. someone willing to put the time in could make something from it.

Upvote 0
i may have the answer. no time now so im writing this here to remind myself to try it later and to see if anyone else has luck in the meantime. when you get the above mentioned symbol, press up vol and then power to reboot. and while it reboots, then do the up + power again. it maybe the missing step or just not explained well. the driver starts back up when it reboots. thats whats missing. good luck. be back tonight

i can check in from phone to see..getting that symbol is easy. you can even pull the card before hitting vol down. what difference does it make if the point is not to have it read from the card anyway? the driver is still loaded and not dependent on the card. its a boot loader driver, not a phone or card(usb) driver. wish i could try this. the driver is loaded til you press vol up. i dont think its so much as timing. i think the instructions were written hastily. someone try it please. i can verify that no harm is done, thats for sure

Upvote 0
The point is to try and get the phone to "hiccup" while booting, reading the sd card, and running adbd all at the same time and confuse it into allowing you to push root from your computer. The sd card just happens to be the catalyst for the hiccup. Hence the crappy pny 2gb card. This is just my interpretation of the instructions and what I've gleaned from what the devs have said, etc. Feel free to correct me lol!

Upvote 0
The point is to try and get the phone to "hiccup" while booting, reading the sd card, and running adbd all at the same time and confuse it into allowing you to push root from your computer. The sd card just happens to be the catalyst for the hiccup. Hence the crappy pny 2gb card. This is just my interpretation of the instructions and what I've gleaned from what the devs have said, etc. Feel free to correct me lol!
That sounds about right to me.

I will keep an eye on this for the next few days. Perhaps the instructions will be refined or a better technique will come along.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones