• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Leak root has been found

I'm not sure you need to do this.

The instructions on the XDA forum say you have root once you do all their steps and then just go to the tutorials as to how to flash a rom. my phone prompted me for permission to allow superuser and I thought that was all that was need for root.
ok. thats what i thought too. i thought the roms were just sort of a special UI that you might pick out to suit your tastes

Upvote 0
I'm not sure you need to do this.

The instructions on the XDA forum say you have root once you do all their steps and then just go to the tutorials as to how to flash a rom. my phone prompted me for permission to allow superuser and I thought that was all that was need for root.

Guys, it looks like the gist of the new 2.1 leak root method is that it allows you to install a recovery partition / utiltity (Clockwork for example) even though you have a 1.49.0000 S-ON (security-ON) HBOOT bootloader. This recovery partition / utility is what allows you the ability to flash / install new custom ROMs. The steps of installing SuperUser.apk just gives you root access for the ROM that is currently installed.

Comparing the leak to the "normal" rooting method that us non-leakers used, was to flash an already signed root ROM that had a security-OFF (S-OFF) HBOOT bootloader, which is the component that allowed us the ability (among other things) to install a custom recovery partition (usually Amon_RA's).

So, its really the recovery partition that gives you the "super" in superuser :D (i.e., to install custom ROMs of your choice).

You can choose to not install a custom ROM and just use the root access that you've just acquired, for the current ROM if you wish (but there's lots of neat custom ROMs to choose from out there).

...waiting for the Norse god of all-things-root, erisuser1, to correct me in case I mis-stated anything...:)

Thanks.

Reactions: v941726
Upvote 0
Guys, it looks like the gist of the new 2.1 leak root method is that it allows you to install a recovery partition / utiltity (Clockwork for example). This recovery partition / utility is what allows you the ability to flash / install new custom ROMs. The steps of installing SuperUser.apk just gives you root access for the ROM that is currently installed.

Comparing the leak to the "normal" rooting method that us non-leakers used, was to flash an already signed root ROM that had a security-OFF HBOOT bootloader, which is the piece that allowed us the ability (among other things) to install a custom recovery partition (usually Amon_Ra's).

So, its really the recovery partition that gives you the "super" in superuser :D (i.e., to install custom ROMs of your choice).

You can choose to not install a custom ROM and just use the root access that you've just acquired for the current ROM if you wish (but there's lots of neat custom ROMs to choose from out there).

...waiting for the Norse god of all-things-root, erisuser1, to correct me in case I mis-stated anything...:)

Thanks.

I can't seem to figure out how to get back into the clockwork utility again to install a rom. volume up + power just brings me into the standard recovery. i'm guessing you need the su prompt in a command file and do it through ADK.

Upvote 0
I can't seem to figure out how to get back into the clockwork utility again to install a rom. volume up + power just brings me into the standard recovery. i'm guessing you need the su prompt in a command file and do it through ADK.

varkie, key sequence is correct (should be launching into recovery if its there), but I don't know much about Clockwork other than scanning sites via Google. I have seen some warnings from folks posted here and at XDA recommending Amon-RA's recovery over Clockwork, but I can't speak from experience re. that. Not exactly sure why the devs at XDA chose Clockwork for this procedure. Best bet would be to post something over at XDA and see what they say. Wish I could help more.

Edit: there is a thread over at XDA (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=639153&page=18 post #176) regarding having to re-apply the update.zip to (re-)install Clockwork recovery. The post was in regard to ROM Manager, so I don't know exactly if this applies in your case. Not saying you should do this, but this info. might help lead you to a solution (ask around at XDA first). Good luck.

Reactions: varkie
Upvote 0
About an hour ago or so, I helped to edit the original post on XDA for clarification and to better organize the methodology. I spent a considerable amount of time on skype and tinychat with witnesses while I went through as much as I could demonstrating this live.

I demonstrated first that I had root, then unrooted by flashing the RUU OTA, then went through the process and got it back.

Yes, I am crazy. Yes, I will be willing in the worst case scenario to demonstrate this again if I need to by unrooting and re-rooting.

I still have HBOOT 1.49.0000 S-ON and I can demonstrate root and explain in as much detail as I possibly can the conditions of my computer (OS, hardware and software conditions) and my phone (the settings on that).

I have now unrooted and rooted twice now, once on my own, once with an audience. A user in andirc recorded a lot of the skype conversation with a screen recorder and using logmeinexpress and skype in tandem. The video got long winded and we got off on tangents when we found some other weird condition where after I was able to flash the RUU and then demonstrate that I did not have root anymore, I suddenly found that I could boot into recovery with adb recognizing the device in recovery without me doing anything. So we got sidetracked trying to find some repeatability of this condition I had on my phone but could not replicate the test reliably.

Anyway, the person recording had to sleep, and I moved to a tinychat room that was created where I continued to go on with the tutorial process again live with logmeinexpress (sharing my desktop), and was eventually able to get root again.

I have it now, and I am willing to show it/demo it.

I'm going to sleep now, but I just wanted to check in here to let you know what kind of activity there was today. Today, I believe 2 additional people in andirc were able to get this to work.

The tutorial is experimental, I realize. But, I am willing to go through more testing to find some semblance of repeatability and reliability to tighten up the tutorial, and I'm willing to demonstrate as much patience as I can during this for you.

K, going to get some sleep now.

Upvote 0
just read the big red letters about thee specific card. it just doesnt seem logical.(i am not a programmer) but who and why would someone write code that specific to 1 single card? what about *.* kind of code? i.e., any card will do. not trying to be an a** or anything, but c'mon. so all i can think is, is that vzw and/or htc have this locked down to this point. but again, know nothing about the programming part. would this be the "back door" that they came up with? and how did you figure out it had to be that exact card? was it pure luck or did you know that in advance? i'm just curious as hell

Upvote 0
just read the big red letters about thee specific card. it just doesnt seem logical.(i am not a programmer) but who and why would someone write code that specific to 1 single card? what about *.* kind of code? i.e., any card will do. not trying to be an a** or anything, but c'mon. so all i can think is, is that vzw and/or htc have this locked down to this point. but again, know nothing about the programming part. would this be the "back door" that they came up with? and how did you figure out it had to be that exact card? was it pure luck or did you know that in advance? i'm just curious as hell

Well, I'm not a programmer either; but I think that this sort of exploit has been a "back door" thing from the beginning.

None of it is using the device as intended by the designers and manufacturers, so the sort of question you're asking could be asked about any step along the way of the root process: Why do we have to do this? Why isn't the phone shipped to us rooted with warnings in the user guide and in bold red letters on any menu that would lead to messing the device up?

.. etc.

Upvote 0
varkie, key sequence is correct (should be launching into recovery if its there), but I don't know much about Clockwork other than scanning sites via Google. I have seen some warnings from folks posted here and at XDA recommending Amon-RA's recovery over Clockwork, but I can't speak from experience re. that. Not exactly sure why the devs at XDA chose Clockwork for this procedure. Best bet would be to post something over at XDA and see what they say. Wish I could help more.

Edit: there is a thread over at XDA ([RECOVERY] [APPS] ROM Manager and Clockwork Recovery Image v1.6 3/8/2010 - Page 18 - xda-developers post #176) regarding having to re-apply the update.zip to (re-)install Clockwork recovery. The post was in regard to ROM Manager, so I don't know exactly if this applies in your case. Not saying you should do this, but this info. might help lead you to a solution (ask around at XDA first). Good luck.

Thanks found the thread and installed rom manager and it installed clockwork mod recovery. also backed up my current rom and am going to try and install a custom rom with it now. seems to work good.

Reactions: Dradien
Upvote 0
there is one thing im not completely clear on yet since i dont know jack about unix(linux, whatever), is that once you have root i know you have admin rights, but do you need a rom now?
The PB00IMG file is a ROM, but it's the stock HTC one and a bit out-of-date nowadays. When they say to install a ROM, technically it's not necessary. They mean install a better ROM or a more current ROM.

Reactions: v941726
Upvote 0
Well, after a lot of reading on XDA Forums, I will give it a try tonight. I wonder though, has anyone bricked their phone because of it yet?

I haven't read/heard about anything like that yet. I thought I had bricked my phone while attempting this because each time I tried tp power it up normally, I just got the black screen with the red triangle and pulling the battery wouldn't work. I eventually pulled the battery (+disconnected USB cable) and depressed the power/end button for a few seconds (works with an unplugged PC to power down the mother board), and it was fine after that. Thought I would share. Good luck.

Upvote 0
During this process I found that after many failed tries, my phone was able to stay on after a battery pull, and one time I removed the usb and it still stayed on. I thought I was delusional from the process but someone over at XDA had the same experience

Yeah, that happend to me once or twice. It was quite odd. No success for you yet either?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones