• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Leak root has been found

of course........ when youre talking about a case of split second timing needed to pull this off........ and every single SD card is going to be different speed even if same exact model......... as well every single Eris is going to be a slightly different speed........ then factor in the human element...... its impossible to get specific hardware/sd/timing down to a science......... luck is the best shot you have

of course that being said..... certain cards obviously read within a better range as far as the necessary timing...... whereas others are obviously too fast

so the general thought process is to try to stack the odds as close to your favor as possible by using specific cards and timing steps......... thats the best you can do ....... the rest is just hoping its your lucky time

this is all assuming you remove the idea that specific handsets themselves are more likely to work ..... in that case if you dont have one of the specific ones then youre just out of luck

Upvote 0
I achieved root last night using the walk through over at XDA. I was running Leak 3.

I flashed RUU over Leak 3 and followed the directions at XDA to the letter, with one exception. Since ADB would not see the Java I had installed (Win 7, 64 bit) I installed the standard windows version, and that one worked.

I tried about 30 times on my work machine running XP while using my Polaroid 16 gig card. I was not successful. Last night I tried again on my Win 7 64 laptop using the factory 8 gig card that came with my Eris. After about 5 attempts I hit the jackpot. I left the loop running instead of ctl+c after each attempt.

I'm currently running Android system recovery Build : RA-eris-v1.6.2 and attempting to load the evil eris 3.0 rom using my 16 gig Polaroid card. I'll start a new thread for the problems I'm having there.

DSC_5024.jpg

Keep trying guys, it does work!

Reactions: Jmtegra
Upvote 0
I achieved root last night using the walk through over at XDA. I was running Leak 3.

Keep trying guys, it does work!

Oh hell, I was resigned to failure, but shear envy will make me try again since I have the stock card and Win7 64bit.

:)

ETA: UPDATE I am back to being resigned to failure. I followed all steps precisely (trying both the 8GB stock card and a 1GB kingston card).. still nothing. I really appreciate all the effort of those who worked on this issue. Its just still a no-go for me

Upvote 0
ha! I was on leak v3 and decided to give this a shot, but while flashing the RUU it froze at 70% for a solid 1.5 hours. after pulling the battery it no longer turns on. the screen will light up a lil but thats it. Local verizon stores don't have an Erises (Eri) in stock so now I am phoneless until they ship one monday or tuesday. after all this i better get a rootable phone dammit

Upvote 0
Yup, I was on leak and I had a trackball issue...when they told me I could get a replacement phone my first thought was root! ... But for some odd reason my "certified like new" came with hboot 1.49

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Verizon is flashing the RUU on to all of it's refurbished units as far as I can tell. I think the process of refurbishing is probably: factory data reset>flash RUU>cosmetic clean-up>send out.

Upvote 0
ha! I was on leak v3 and decided to give this a shot, but while flashing the RUU it froze at 70% for a solid 1.5 hours. after pulling the battery it no longer turns on. the screen will light up a lil but thats it. Local verizon stores don't have an Erises (Eri) in stock so now I am phoneless until they ship one monday or tuesday. after all this i better get a rootable phone dammit
Don't think anyone will fast a rootable phone

Upvote 0
I guess that means that Verizon/HTC/Google think that leak 3 is somehow better than the OTA.
How so ? Applying the update OTA would require more work and when you're doing this to thousands of phones, you choose the most efficient method.
Silly me. What was I thinking. Google can't figure out how to downgrade the Hboot.
What does Google have to do with this ? HBoot is HTC code, not Google.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones