• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root leaked 2.1 vs rooted 2.1

Pros of leaked:
-It's a newer build, so more of the bugs have been worked out.
-You don't have full SU access so the chances of bricking your phone after you've completed the install are pretty much non existent.

Cons:
-You don't have SU access so you are limited as to what you can do/change on your phone.
- As of right now, there is no way to roll back to 1.5 and no root solution for 2.1.

Pros of rooted 2.1:
-Root, of course.
-The availability of future ROMs that will be released.
-Ability to remove (some) unwanted factory apps.
-Possible future ability to overclock.

Cons:
-Full SU access, granting you the ability to brick your phone if you aren't sure of what you're doing.
-Seems to be a bit more buggy than the leaked version. (I'm sure this will be worked out in the roms that the cooks are working on though)

Upvote 0
This is a good thread and I wish more people would post. I have an Eris that has the leaked 2.1, but I have the opportunity to return my phone to Best Buy for another Eris so I can do the rooted 2.1 if I chose. I want to see if the rooted is worth the effort.

+1
I am still 1.5 though, and considering either wading into the 2.1 leak, or face first into the deep, deep end of 2.1 root.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones