Leaked OTA update + Root, now what?

Last Updated:

1. Stockmoose16

Stockmoose16 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I just got done installing the leaked OTA and rooting my phone, but now I've read conflicting reports that when Froyo comes out in a couple weeks, I won't be able to install it without going back to stock 2.1. Even worse, going back to stock means erasing all the data and apps on my phone. I was under the impression that one could use Titanium backup to make sure all apps, data, and settings can be re-imaged to the phone, but then I realized that Titanium only works if you have root, which I won't if I go back to stock.

Sorry for being a noob, but when the official update comes out, how do I install it without losing all my data? Why can't I just install it on top of the rooted OTA update OS?

Advertisement
  2. j-money

j-money Well-Known Member

Because you cant!

Reset to factory, apply updates, (OTA, 2.2, whatever)
    Reroot (Assuming the unrevoked method still works)
    download titanium,
    restore your apps....

3. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

you cant install it unless you unroot or wait for a custom rom to come out that is patched but that may be a while

4. Stockmoose16

So what would happen if I install the update when it comes through? Can't HTC just rename it something different so that the phone thinks it's a newer update than the leaked OTA?

5. yojoe600

it probably wont show up to you if its rooted.. and if it works you will lose root or maybe brick your phone

6. contagous

contagous Well-Known Member

Just use app brain to backup your apps, and google to sync your contacts and you will only lose settings which you can redo and texts which if your that bothered forward them all to a google number and keep an online copy :)

7. yojoe600

or they can use sms backup and restore if sms are very important

8. tcbj

tcbj Well-Known Member

The update wont install because the update will be looking for the stock recovery, and will stall when the clockwork recovery comes up...

SO what you need to do is exactly what i did yesterday.
    I used app monster (you can use your favorite backup app) to backup my apps.
    get the PB31IMG.zip and put on a blank sd card formated to fat32. PB31IMG you probably already have if you installed leak.

Follow the instructions for downgrading hboot, using adb. Instructions found on this forum.

intall the PB31img.zip

When the phone boots up, let it install the most recent update.

Then sit like im going to, trying to resist the urge to root, only to have to unroot to get the update if its froyo.

p.s. If skyraider gets the camera working, im rooting agoin

Install the PB31IMB.zip

9. najaboy

najaboy Well-Known Member

If you try installing it over the leaked OTA, you'll probably end up with a brick.

It's not a metter of HTC renaming it, as the name is irrelevant. If you want to install Froyo when HTC releases the update, you should downgrade your HBOOT. You have two choices after that... install the update and hope that it's still possible to root after that, or root your phone and don't install the update until after a dev makes it root-safe.

10. bubbleywine

bubbleywine Well-Known Member

agreed i skyraider gets camera working then we already have froyo so just wait for a root safe port to come out and install that update especially if you are running the senceless skyraider

11. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Well-Known Member

By the time that happens, CM6 will also have a working camera, so I will probably choose CM6.

12. Bug Splat

Bug Splat Well-Known Member

Will the OTA froyo update not work for those of us who used the old method of rooting? I'm still confused about this. The old method kept the stock recovery so the OTA should come through and install but I'll lose root right?

13. ninjakyle

ninjakyle Well-Known Member

I am confused. So Root Froyo is just waiting on a camera? When they get that working will it come with 720p recording?

14. h3rmanmunst3r

h3rmanmunst3r Member

Bug Splat - yes, in theory that is correct but I am new to this stuff so if someone else knows for sure let us know.

ninjakyle - No i think they are talking about ROM's that come with Froyo but don't have either the 720p update or maybe the camera isn't working at all on them. (again im new...just using knowledge ive learned so far, so take everything I say with a grain of salt)

15. The_Law2

The_Law2 Well-Known Member

People are underestimating Titanium Backup. If you use it while rooted to backup all apps + system data literally EVERYTHING on the phone is saved. SMS chats, settings, call logs, everything. Even my home scene was restored (eventually....it's a weird story). Once you reroot, just download Titanium backup again and restore everything.

16. yojoe600

installing non OTA system files over the after OTA can cause problems.. just saying

17. Hand76

Hand76 Guest

Yes and no. You have to becareful that you are not installing something old that was saved with TB over something different and newly installed.

Like poeple did this past time around when they installed the old camera on top of the new one after getting the leaked ota.

18. bubbleywine

bubbleywine Well-Known Member

you should of just left the ota alone and waited for the full 2.2 ota then the rom people should be getting everything to work

19. The_Law2

You are right. I forgot that I said "do not restore" if it asked about any system files.

20. Stockmoose16

That's not correct. If you use Titanium on your rooted+OTA leak phone and back everything up, and then revert back to stock so you can install the official Froyo update, you WOULD NOT be able to get your settings back. The reason being? There would be no way to root the Froyo update and you therefore wouldn't be able to use titanium to restore.

21. The_Law2

Um, how do you know this?