• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Leaked ruu and root question

Guesst

Sep 22, 2010
I've been trying to search and find the answers on my own but am kind of lost so I apologize if this has already been covered. I see there are new leaked ruu out. If I download the latest one, and use the new root method as well will I be prompted for the ota when it arrives? And since the root is working with this leaked ruu, is it still bad to accept it or should I still decline it. Then the other question that comes up is if it does ask to update my phone when available, is that something that will always reoccur and do u have to always remember to decline it, or is there a way to disable the prompt for updating. I'm just trying to figure out if I should install the new leaked gb and then root or not.
One more scenario, if I install the new leaked gb, and do not root, will I still be able to receive ota with no problem when it arrives or is that something we have to wait and see... As you can see I'm kind of confused, thanks in advance for any help!

If you are going to root I would suggest rooting as you are and flashing the stock rooted rom once it is available, should be available by tomorrow morning at the latest. If you are running on a stock rom but rooted you will get notified of an OTA if it is pushed to your phone and you should not accept it.

I think you should receive an OTA notice once it is pushed to your phone if you install this do not root.

Upvote 0
I've been trying to search and find the answers on my own but am kind of lost so I apologize if this has already been covered. I see there are new leaked ruu out. If I download the latest one, and use the new root method as well will I be prompted for the ota when it arrives? yes. the OTA will be a higher firmware,and your phone will eventually figure out there is newer firmware available than what it has,and want to update to the newest.

And since the root is working with this leaked ruu, is it still bad to accept it or should I still decline it. that depends. if you install a custom recovery(clockworkmod) then,yes you absolutely should decline it. accepting the OTA with anything other than the stock recovery will cause potentially unrecoverable bootloops.

Then the other question that comes up is if it does ask to update my phone when available, is that something that will always reoccur and do u have to always remember to decline it, or is there a way to disable the prompt for updating. if you wish to stay rooted,you must run custom roms in order to not be pestered for updates. as long as you run a stock rom,you must run run the newest firmware in order to not be pestered for updates. if you wish to remain rooted on each update,the best thing to do is simply flash the "rooted stock roms" that appear prior to the OTAs being pushed,as yeahha described. they are most always leaked first,and you can easily stay one step ahead. if you dont care about being rooted,you can run the root tool so that you have the permanent s-off hboot,and then just install the leak ruu. if you stay on the stock rom and recovery,you can continue to accept OTAs. going a step further,if you root the leak ruu,all you will have to do is re-install the stock recovery and you can then continue to accept OTAs normally. rooting is by no means a permanent thing :)

I'm just trying to figure out if I should install the new leaked gb and then root or not. i personally would do as yeaha suggested for a couple of reasons:
1)the revolutionary method does not wipe your data. you can root and make a backup of your stock rom in case you need or want to go back to it. you can then flash the rooted leak rom in recovery
2)flashing the rom is generally safer than flashing an RUU,or flashing files in hboot.

One more scenario, if I install the new leaked gb, and do not root, will I still be able to receive ota with no problem when it arrives or is that something we have to wait and see... As you can see I'm kind of confused, thanks in advance for any help! yes,you will still recieve it with no issue. as i mentioned above,the OTA will have a higher firmware number,and your phone will want to update to it.

even tho GB is rootable with the new revolutionary method,id pretty strongly recomend running it prior to flashing this RUU. it will leave you with the permanent s-off,wich will make it much easier for you to root in the future,or go back to firmware older than this leak,if you need to. an s-on bootloader is really more of a PITA than its worth,IMO. i think everyone should be s-off,wether they want to root or not. it makes recovery in the case of a mishap much,easier,or even possible.

anyway,hope this clears it up for you :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones