Leaning heavily towards X.

Last Updated:

1. hofiveo

hofiveo Member This Topic's Starter

This will be my first smart phone/Android and will be keeping it for 2 years because of NE2 upgrade. How are the updates and support for these phones for the next 2 years. Also is there anybody from Memphis, TN here that is willing to help me out to setup phone and explain rooting, roms kernels and the other things? I own a small biz doing decorative and industrial concrete coatings and polishing concrete, maybe something I can do for you for helping me out. I am new to these things and want to get the most out of it. Thanks guys, I have a long way to go and still trying to understand all the terms and acronyms. Buy the way I can get the X for 69.99 @ Direct Buy.

Advertisement
  2. eraursls1984

eraursls1984 Well-Known Member

hofiveo likes this.
  3. eraursls1984

eraursls1984 Well-Known Member

hofiveo likes this.
  4. rehpyc

rehpyc Well-Known Member

This forum already has a lot of how-to's to help you out, and there is a large community here that will help you out with any questions you will have. The best way you can learn how to use the apps/widgets of your phone would be to play with it. For the more heavy things (root, ROMs, themes, etc.), don't be afraid to make as many threads/posts needed here for help.

hofiveo likes this.
  5. hofiveo

Thanks for the info. I have been reading thru the roots, roms and etc... It just overwhelming. I will take my time and study and when I feel I am ready and something is not goin right I will chime in. Thanks again.

6. nggomez60

nggomez60 Active Member

To be honest, the X is a good enough phone that you don't necessarily need to root it. These forums can be daunting (yet VERY helpful) at times so don't feel the need to go write your own ROM the second you get an Android phone. Android is great because it has the potential to do pretty much anything if you put your mind to it while at the same time remain accessible to everyday people who just want to download angry birds and surf the web. Good luck!

7. hofiveo

Yeah, it sounds like it will take me a month or 2 getting acquainted and set up to my liking. I have no experience with UI's or Droids for that matter and learning on Blur will be just learning to me. Only reason I am going to root is for battery life and later on able to try other UI's, Roms and kernels. I am ordering the X today and have it buy end of week. So in January I may root, just depends on my learning curve and battery life. This is a great place to be learning about droids and my short time here the people are willing to help, polite and patient.

8. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Well-Known Member

I've had my Droid X since August, and haven't found anything I wanted it to do that needed root. So refreshing after my iPhone! And just so you know, you can't do anything with the kernel itself, Moto has the bootrom locked down like Fort Knox. And also because of that, you can't do full ROMs, but if you read around, you'll figure out what works. I'll root eventually just to delete the bloatware, but I'll wait until after we get Gingerbread, since it will probably be the last update we get. Motorola has already announced that they are going to End Of Life the DX in March 2011, so don't expect too much in the way of updates after that.

9. hofiveo

Thats good info. Thanks for the help.