• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LED Light update to fix camera - NOT!

NicksGarage

Android Enthusiast
May 13, 2010
San Diego, CA
Got an update for the LED Light app and it says it is to fix the camera issue on HTC Froyo. Well I don't know if it fixes the issue with the OTA update not working but now when I turn it on, the camera doesn't work. Not a big deal when using the camera app by itself now that we have flash activation for videos but I use the LED Light app with the barcode scanner and now that doesn't work. I've sent a message off to the developer.

Reactions: EarlyMon
What is precisely the problem again? Is it that the mere presence of the app causes problems? Or is it using the app in conjunction with others?

I don't believe I was experiencing problems with the Camera either before or after the "LED Light" update.

It's not the presence of the app. I have the widget on a screen and when I turn the light on, the camera won't open. I didn't have the camera bug when I did the leaked update to 2.2.

Can't use the new flashlight app because once you open another app, it turns off.

Upvote 0
The widget on your home page is essentially turning the app "on..." So it's the same as if you loaded the program (or any other program)...

It basically is a hardware conflict with both apps calling for the same hardware function... So I highly doubt the answer is in LED light but rather the barcode scanner to use the led with camera function instead...

Upvote 0
The widget on your home page is essentially turning the app "on..." So it's the same as if you loaded the program (or any other program)...

It basically is a hardware conflict with both apps calling for the same hardware function... So I highly doubt the answer is in LED light but rather the barcode scanner to use the led with camera function instead...

Well it worked before at least in Android 2.1. I don't remember if I tried it since the 2.2 release before the LED Light app was updated today.

Note that it also breaks the camera in other apps such as the camera, camcorder, Goggles, Vignette, Shop Savvy, etc. I don't need it in the camera apps since they have their own flash controls so that's not a big deal.

Barcode Scanner has a function to turn on the light but it's never worked on the EVO. Shop Savvy and Goggles don't have this function.

Maybe someone else who has not updated LED Light and 2.2 can test it?

Upvote 0
You're missing the point, the point is that now it isn't going to work because the camera has a new instruction for the LED itself... So a 3rd party program controlling the light will likely not work with the camera unless Google decides to change it...

However, if the barcode scanner devs can call the LED function the way the stock camera controls do, then it should work beautifully...

It's speculations at this point, but logic points in that direction at least...

Upvote 0
I believe the conflict is coming from a nice horn locking and that it's recent.

The camera with 2.2 now allows the LEDs to come on as fill light during video recording.

While others suggested just an FC on LED Light - personally, I find the Flashlight app included is more versatile, it came from HTC, so why bite off more?

Much as I loved my LED Light widget, I just tossed out the whole app for peace of mind on this one.

Upvote 0
The OP posted because now he can't shoot barcodes with the LED function... That's why this thread appeared... Not that he had issues about the new flashlight app, which IMO isn't that big a deal to me cause the video recording isn't that good with it anyways LOL... Not to mention bye bye battery life...

Upvote 0
I haven't had any affect on battery life due to the LED Light app.

And like I said previously, you can't use the new flashlight app with other apps. It would be nice if they had spent time making a widget for it instead of making it flash an SOS signal. The ideal would be a widget that lets you step through different brightnesses.

I'm not upset or anything. I only occasionally use the barcode scanner or goggles in the dark.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones