LED Notification Light Discussion ThreadGeneral

Last Updated: 2011-10-23 02:09:14
  1. DroidBabe

DroidBabe Well-Known Member

Does anyone know? It looks like it does but I'm not sure.

Advertisement
  2. drexappeal

drexappeal Well-Known Member

Wow, that's something that I never considered. The LED notification light is something that comes in very handy on my EVO, especially when I'm in meetings and don't look at my phone until later. It's not really a "crucial" element for me because it's just as easy to turn the phone on and look at the notification bar, but just a convenient thing that would be nice if the phone has it.

Motorola Mobility, Inc. - Media Center - Fact Sheets - Motorola PHOTON? 4G Fact Sheet

From the Motorola spec sheet, I don't see any mention of LED w/ exception to the dual-LED flash for the camera.

I'm not too familiar with all the other Motorola phones, but do any of the others have it (e.g. Atrix, Droid X2)?
  3. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

I think all recent Motorola phones have it. My Droid 1 and Droid X1 has it.
    drexappeal likes this.
  4. drewsg

drewsg Well-Known Member

Supposed to be a carry over from the Atrix, which has a tri color LED light
    twospirits, DroidBabe and drexappeal like this.
  5. skep

skep Well-Known Member

id like to think its safe to assume that yes, it will be included. as mentioned, all recent motorolas have had them. i owned the droid 1, droid 2 and droid x, all in which had the notification LED
    drexappeal likes this.
  6. drexappeal

Although it wouldn't have been a deal breaker for me, it's good to know other folks that have had the other Motorola phones can confirm they had LED notifications.
  7. astrobill

astrobill Well-Known Member

The lack of an indicator LED is one reason I didn't upgrade to the Nexus S (the lack of integration with Sprint Visual Voicemail being the other). Ended up with an Evo Shift for now.
  8. drexappeal

I guess it hasn't been a big issue for me, just because I'm always checking my phone for any messages, especially when I step away from it for a period of time.

Nontheless, the Photon will have it, which is definitely better than not having it.
  9. twospirits

twospirits AF's janitor Moderator

Its funny, with the EVO, I never used the notification led hack. But its nice to know the Photon has it.

TS
  10. busted bones

busted bones Well-Known Member

One thing I loved about my gfs droid was the multicolor led notification light that allowed her to set up specific led lights for text messages from different people. I forget the total number of colors it had but it was quite a few.
    drexappeal likes this.
  11. skep

skep Well-Known Member

i believe its about 8 different colors. on handcent i think u can make a "custom" color with the full color spectrum, but if it isnt something that the phone recognizes, it wont illuminate at all.
  12. drexappeal

13. KnowProblem

KnowProblem Well-Known Member

The only thing which concerns me is the fact that I do not recall seeing an LED light show up in any of the videos taken at the launch event. Maybe it was an early firmware that didn't enable the light. I'd be very surprised if moto doesn't put a light on this device.
  14. twospirits

twospirits AF's janitor Moderator

I would think it has it as well, if not by default, I am sure there will be a hack of some sort. Providing they get by this bootloader issue.

TS
  15. shawheim_a

shawheim_a Well-Known Member

i can confirm since i own one and its activated that there is a notification light. its right beside the FFC :)
    drexappeal and jroc like this.
  16. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

I see your phone arrived...lol I was lurking in the classified section.
  17. JSchu22

JSchu22 Well-Known Member Contributor

The title says it all. Missed this about the (HTC device name here).
  18. SSmokybear

SSmokybear Well-Known Member

I'm thinking this is going to be a Handcent issue they will have to resolve. But just in case its my phone. Does anyone else using Handcent have this issue? No LED notification on received text or while testing in any color.
  19. z_dawg

z_dawg New Member

When I get a text (pop up) and the screen turns off before I dismiss it, the led just to the right of the lens of the front camera illuminates with the specified color at the specified frequency (default keeps the led on). I get nothing when the screen is on.
  20. JSchu22

This is a possibility, or maybe some other app is interfering with your notifications? Have you turned off notifications in the stock app?
  21. SSmokybear

SSmokybear Well-Known Member

Yes factory text messaging notifications are disabled.
  22. Godfather13

Godfather13 Well-Known Member

For some reason my notification light doesnt turn on when I plug my phone in to charge anymore. This happening with anyone else? First day I got the phone I plugged it in and it lit a yellow/orange color until it turned green when fully charged. Ever since then it doesnt light up at all.

I still get notification lights for missed calls, etc, just not when plugged in. Any ideas?
  23. JSchu22

Ive never seen it light up during charging, was the phone originally turned off when you noticed this?

Ive grown to like this feature as it allows the notification light to work as it otherwise would, for texts and emails, etc.
  24. Godfather13

Godfather13 Well-Known Member

Hmm. You make a good point, maybe the phone was off when I initially charged it. Ill turn it off just to test, but I think you're right.
    JSchu22 likes this.
  25. drexappeal

Were you able to confirm if that was the case? I actually noticed this tonight and was hoping there was a way to change the settings so that the LED would activate whenever the phone was plugged in and charging.