LED notification

Last Updated:

1. rlb4

rlb4 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is there an LED light on the Captivate to notify of email, missed calls, texts when the screen is locked or in sleep?

Advertisement
  2. ewingr

ewingr Well-Known Member

Neither the SGS or any of its derivatives have an LED>

3. rlb4

rlb4 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So there is no way to know if any messages unless you turn on the screen/unlock? Even the Aria has an led notification light.

4. ewingr

ewingr Well-Known Member

You might browse around in the Galaxy S forums on this topic. I don't own one yet, so can't get specific on how people are handling this. But it has been discussed quite a bit.

5. crashcarruthers

crashcarruthers Well-Known Member

From the Samsung Galaxy S Forum:Quote:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saj_2001ind [​IMG]
    one question ... can you see missed call and unread sms info on the lock screen ?

also the info on alarm and calender's today appointment on lock screen ?

Yes if you get a text or missed call it comes up as like a piece of a jigsaw puzzle on the lock screen and if you move it across to the empty space it not only unlocks the phone but takes you straight to the call log or text message screen.

As for alarm and appointments i don't really use these so not sure but i will have a look.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. ewingr

ewingr Well-Known Member

I have seen a pic of the puzzle pice. Interesting that you can swipe it over to go direct to it. The UI sounds better with each new bit of info.

The downside is that you do have to turn on the screen to see it. But what the heck, can't have everything. :p

7. nb_mitch

nb_mitch Well-Known Member

Why not? I want most things, but NEED Everthing :D

8. ConceptVBS

ConceptVBS Well-Known Member

The EPIC 4G does. Its on the upper right hand corner right next to the camera.

However, the rest does not.

Honestly, why do we need it anyway? We all would be checking our phones every 2 minutes regardless, no?

9. ewingr

ewingr Well-Known Member

Interesting about the Epic. Not even the original SGS has an LED.

On checking, you are right. But that is where the LED can be handy...don't need to turn it on. I've had LED on my old outdated Tilt, and am quite accustomed to it.

But alas, I plan to have the Captivate w/o it.

10. Loco Leeep

Loco Leeep Well-Known Member

An LED indicator can save your battery. Without it, I'll be waking up my phone everytime I've been away from it for a couple minutes to see if I missed anything. Captivates incredible standby time is with the display off.

11. ewingr

ewingr Well-Known Member

I've seen some posts in the DEV area where they may be working on an alterntive. One thing I saw was they were considering turning on a small number of pixels with different colors for different conditions, while the phone is in standby.

They make the case that for this phone, that the light being on is just turning pixels on or off, with different colors. So, with no backlighting, just a small number of pixels on, would not use much battery to speak of.

It'll be interesting to see if anything comes of it.

12. subie41ife

subie41ife Well-Known Member

I'll be fine with no LED indicator because im coming from iPhones for the last 3 years.

I had one question tho, if you get a txt will it beep again lets say 10 minutes later if you dont check it? that how the iPhone is, so if you not around your phone when you first get the txt it will go off again 10 minutes later...

13. Loco Leeep

Loco Leeep Well-Known Member

A reminder beep would work for me.

14. jayphill89

jayphill89 New Member

here is how the puzzle piece screen looks if anyone is still interested

The Epic has an LED for notifications but there is no LED on the Vibrant or Captivate. As a replacement, there is an app called NoLED that will put a little dot on your locked screen.

15. t-readyroc

t-readyroc Well-Known Member

Here's the link to NoLED. There's an .apk you can sideload if you want. I read almost all 24 pages of that thread today. If you look on p. 22, though, you'll see that people are testing that app's battery consumption, & it seems quite substantial compared to the baseline....

razholio likes this.
  16. jbk317

jbk317 Well-Known Member

Chompsms gives you the ability for repeat notifications for text messages. I dont know about emails or other notifications though.