Left-Handed Gripes...General

Last Updated:

1. arjo_reich

arjo_reich Member This Topic's Starter

I've been waiting for this phone since I first caught wind of the FCC filings, and don't get me wrong, I love it, but there is one major gripe I have being a left-handed person...

- the fardling sensor that detects if you're phone is near your face is on the top-left side of the screen. This means that I cannot hold the device with my left hand and interact with it while on a call. Trying to use my left thumb to swipe the notifications bar down will cover that stupid sensor for just a second, shutting off the screen.

Additionally, because the sensor is so sensitive, the shadow my left thumb makes while holding the phone is often enough to cause the screen to turn off. Until I figured out what was causing the problem I thought I had a totally possessed phone as I fought with the phone to turn the phone off mute with my thumb during several semi-important / mostly-boring conference calls where my occasional grunt of acquiescence was required.

So, there you go, my one fatal design flaw that I have to "live with"...for an otherwise amazing device.

Advertisement
    XDaydreamerX11 likes this.
  2. nightfishing

nightfishing Well-Known Member

It's not just a lefty's issue. The prox sensor is a pita to me also.

It should NOT turn off the screen when the call is connected via BT or speakerphone. In such cases I have the same issues with the notification bar.

Seems like an oversight that hopefully will be addressed at some point.

3. XDaydreamerX11

XDaydreamerX11 Well-Known Member

I've noticed if I put the call on speaker it's not as big of a problem, MOST of the time.

4. narf

narf Well-Known Member

I haven't had too many issues with the proximity sensor and I am left handed but honestly it's better to be a little too sensitive than not sensitive enough. My friend returned his Mot Droid since his face kept ending phone calls. To be fair, he may have just been holding the phone funny but it's food for thought...

5. actofgod

actofgod Well-Known Member

I was just thinking about this today too...definitely not lefty friendly. I naturally turn my phone clockwise to go into portrait mode. I'm still adjusting to that. I also seem to constantly go from vibrate to silent when I hold the phone with my right hand while I text or whatever with my left. The ringer/volume select is right where the right index finger goes if you are lefty.

Minor gripes, this phone rocks.

6. kayst

kayst Well-Known Member

That's funny, because I was just thinking how this phone was made for leftys. It's clumsy to hold it in my left hand and swype with my right, while plugged into the charger.

Also don't like the volume buttons on the bottom while in landscape mode. Have to pick it up from my homemade dock to change the volume.

7. Piercing Heavens

Piercing Heavens Well-Known Member

How do you guys hold the phone? I've had no issues with my left hand and the Proximity sensor has yet to cause me trouble.

8. brettlewis

brettlewis Well-Known Member

I had a similar issue with my droid. I learned to hold my phone at an angle, away from my face. Only put the top of the phone near your face and hold the butt end out at like a 40 degree angle. works every time.

9. Outatime

Outatime Well-Known Member Contributor

My biggest leftie gripe with this phone is that it will only go into landscape if you rotate counter clockwise. It's more natural to turn it clockwise when holding it in my left hand.

load97 and webflunkie like this.