Left my old job in bad terms but want it back...

1. boyo1991

boyo1991 Well-Known Member

So.. I worked for what mist would say a pretty crummy company, and didn't get paid very well.. and because of these two I quit.. TWICE. The second time without notice... Ik terrible idea... But after working elsewhere.. there's nowhere else I'd rather be than there.. the people, the hours.. and really the pay.. or rather the form of payment (tips and paycheck) help regulate my spending and my check goes much further...

I feel like I've outgrown my whole.. childish behavior of up and quitting and realized that my old job was far from crummy! I lived it to death! There's nowhere I'd rather be and I'm done "adventuring" other jobs.. I loved that one.. not at a similar place either... There! I've been to similar places.. none are as good as this one to work for..

I did a good job while I was working there.. at least I think I did.. so what do you guys think I should do to get the position back? Is there any way or have I screwed my lifes oppertunity up for good?

Any and all input is helpful.. I appreciate it all...

Advertisement
    :
  2. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues - Crazy peacock person - Guide

Being honest and sincere is always a good idea. I have no idea how large the company is, so I don't know if there's a human resources department or what, but if you know someone in a hire/fire position at the company, why not call or e-mail them? Tell them what you've told us. Ask if there's any chance they'd have you back to prove yourself; reassure them that you're done looking around, you realize how much you actually liked it there, and just see what they say.

You've got nothing to lose by touching base with them, and being totally up front and honest. If they say no, so be it. But if they say yes, you'd better damn well not make fools out of them by up and quitting again!
    boyo1991 likes this.
  3. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

Do what I did. Can you teach? Are you willing to learn a different language and culture, and not afraid of adventure?
  4. boyo1991

boyo1991 Well-Known Member

I already know Spanish and English fluently (English is my native) but as far as travel goes... Not so much haha

And thank you so much... I just hope it all works out.. idk what I would do if they said no.. but if I be honest and clear... They'll take me back! Thanks for the encouragement!
  5. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

Ok.. My take on this situation..
    Is like that ex lover that you keep going back to..
    You know it is wrong match when you are with them..
    But as soon as you break up.. You miss them and all the good times.

You try to get back with them... But as soon as you are back together.. You start to remember the reasons why it was a bad match.

A crazy sad merry go round.... Not good for anyone involved.

The thing here is to realize that it is not going to work out in the long run.. So walk away.

I think you quit 2 times already.. You will quit again.
    Just keep looking.. You will find a better fit somewhere else

Good lucky :)
    Kelmar likes this.
  6. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

Agree with what Moody said, just be honest and sincere on your desire to work there.
    However, being someone who is in the position of hiring and firing, if someone quite twice, I would likely never give them a third chance. Best of luck! :)
  7. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Well-Known Member

Like Dan says, it could be your memories of the job are a bit rosy, perhaps because you're not too happy where you are at the minute. You need to be sure you're not confusing dissatisfaction with your current job with love for your old one.

Here's something you could try: think hard about the reaons you left the first job then meet up some of the people who still work there and talk about those issues. Then see if you still feel as positive about the old job afterwards.

If you do, then follow the great advice above about talking honestly to the old boss. If you don't, think about maybe changing to a different job.
  8. Gmash

Gmash Well-Known Member

So,the op says he received tips, so I assume his old job is at a restaurant or bar. I'm guessing there are some hot servers or barmaids he misses spending time with lol.;):p
  9. jhtalisman

jhtalisman Well-Known Member Contributor

Sounds like you've burned bridges if you left on bad terms.
  10. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Posts #5 and #2 are both dead on target, even though they elicit different actions.

My choice of those two outlooks would depend on a few other factors, but what is telling about the whole thing is that you're exhibiting repeated behaviors: leaving jobs "for real good reasons." The first job twice, and the job you're doing now.

You're building a background of quitting jobs, and you're building it on the premise, from what you say, that you feel better at the other job. Nothing about how valuable you are to where ever it is you're working. ;)

I'd pick the explanation in post #5: move on. And talk to close friends, family or another trusted person about how to dedicate yourself to people who have trusted you enough to actually hire you and pay you for your work. :)