• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] Legacy root posts from sticky prior to S-OFF

Status
Not open for further replies.
From that same thread above, someone first said that team AlphaRevX got S-OFF on the Sensation. No one believed it until a video surfaced:

‪AlphaRevX - HTC Sensation (Pyramid) HBOOT 1.17.0011 S-OFF‬‏ - YouTube

Given how similar the Sensation is to the Evo 3D, this is quite promising for us. Still, no guarantees, since the HBOOT versions are not the same. Let's hope the exploit can be made to work for the two known ship HBOOTs on the E3D.

Source: Root: shaking something loose [WIP] - Page 14 - xda-developers

OP updated.

Reactions: wake69
Upvote 0
S-OFF on the Evo 3D!

member of unrevoked posts this shortly after and suggests that unrevoked and AlphaRev are going to be merging. Note that HBOOT version shown is the one initially released, though I suspect the exploit is going to work on 1.40 as well (my opinion only).

soff.jpg

Sources:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=15791614&postcount=30
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=15791923

Upvote 0
This looks to be great news, and while it may not be S-OFF ready to go right now for all of us, it definitely seems to be a move in the right direction.

You've all heard me say it.

On root security, they keep trying to build a better mousetrap. And the problem with that theory is that a mousetrap won't work because the devs aren' t mice. Never take on a pack of junkyard dogs intent on tearing thru a problem when you're only armed with cheese.

Wouldn't it be nice if they finally just realized this and allowed us control over our own devices? Hoho, yeah, I know, about as good of a chance of that happening as me winning the Powerball tonight...with my state govt shut down...and no drawing.

Upvote 0
You've all heard me say it.

On root security, they keep trying to build a better mousetrap. And the problem with that theory is that a mousetrap won't work because the devs aren' t mice. Never take on a pack of junkyard dogs intent on tearing thru a problem when you're only armed with cheese.

I think a better metaphor would be building a prison to hold Macgyver. Yeah, it'll hold him for a while. But then he'll build a grenade out of paper clips, pencil graphite, and a spoon. Then blast his way out.

Even the devs tipped their hats to HTC. They said this was no easy exploit to find and use. The fact that we may be S-OFF here soon is awesome.

Also: If we install the RUU, does the bootloader go back to 1.3?

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Wouldn't it be nice if they finally just realized this and allowed us control over our own devices? Hoho, yeah, I know, about as good of a chance of that happening as me winning the Powerball tonight...with my state govt shut down...and no drawing.

They did, it's a matter of patience.

Sensation (released first) is getting HTC official S-OFF in August, Evo 3D is getting it after that, date to be set by Sensation lessons learned, so late August (maybe) or September (definitely no later than that).

Throwing an S-OFF via an OTA - yeah, I can appreciate and give some patience for that one.

Upvote 0
And just to put things into perspective, assuming this S-OFF becomes the official solution:

For Evo 3D owners, this was a relatively short wait. Not as short for Sensation owners, so this is a testament to the ever-present challenge of rooting. Don't ever take your root status for granted. Don't expect that any Android phone you get can have as much freedom as one that you my have previously owned.

Unless there's some sort of massive policy change at the manufacturer level, exploits are going to be more and more difficult to find.

Upvote 0
And just to put things into perspective, assuming this S-OFF becomes the official solution:

For Evo 3D owners, this was a relatively short wait. Not as short for Sensation owners, so this is a testament to the ever-present challenge of rooting. Don't ever take your root status for granted. Don't expect that any Android phone you get can have as much freedom as one that you my have previously owned.

Unless there's some sort of massive policy change at the manufacturer level, exploits are going to be more and more difficult to find.

While temp root is nice, you are 100% correct. The month after I got my updated replacement evo which all root exploits were closed was terrible. I am not a flash a holic but I missed all the extras. Custom boot animations playing with set CPU, having full backups of my phone and so on. I have donated to my fav devs and will continue to do so since they do things I just don't have time to do. This being said I can not wait until s-off and for all you new to android, one tip NEVER EVER EVER EVER TAKE OTA UPDATES IF YOU WANT TO ROOT, EVEN IF IT IS JUST FOR WIFI TETHER(ps there is so much more to rooting than that) explore your phones and appreciate your phone.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the update on the rooting process! Much appreciated.

As everyone else is saying, in the future, if you can help it, DO NOT UPDATE THROUGH SPRINT/HTC!! If you want to update, wait for the devs to release rooted versions of the new firmware/etc. It may take a while, but be patient.

We, over at the regular HTC Evo 4G forum, are still waiting for a root for our OTA of Android 2.3.3 that came out...I'd say over two months ago. People cannot wait and it seems that as time goes on, it becomes harder and harder to crack these updates. So if it all possible, do NOT update if you can help it. Take our word for it lol

Upvote 0
Are you guys talking about taking OTA's before root becomes available or once you are already rooted? I've been taking OTA's in the meantime until a full root is available, because they have corrected many bugs.

Once full root becomes available and you are rooted usually the OTA won't work anyways.

There is always a risk in taking otas, the ota on launch day should be no problems, but if you have taken any otas since, make sure the temp root still works for you. If you have, you run the risk of closing the hole used for full root.

NEVER TAKE OTAS IF YOU PLAN ON ROOTING. This phone is really not that buggy. I have not taken one ota and have no major issues a reboot or changing the scene wont fix.

Upvote 0
There is always a risk in taking otas, the ota on launch day should be no problems, but if you have taken any otas since, make sure the temp root still works for you. If you have, you run the risk of closing the hole used for full root.

NEVER TAKE OTAS IF YOU PLAN ON ROOTING. This phone is really not that buggy. I have not taken one ota and have no major issues a reboot or changing the scene wont fix.

I'm not using temp root, just waiting on full root to become available. I have heard mixed reviews on the temp root and its reliability.

There are good OTA's still coming out after launch date though. For example the one from a week or two ago that fixed the phone icon from disappearing on the lock screen... will these really prevent me from being able to do full root once available? That makes no sense to me.

Upvote 0
I'm not using temp root, just waiting on full root to become available. I have heard mixed reviews on the temp root and its reliability.

There are good OTA's still coming out after launch date though. For example the one from a week or two ago that fixed the phone icon from disappearing on the lock screen... will these really prevent me from being able to do full root once available? That makes no sense to me.
That one itself won't. However, HTC and other major manufacturers have a tendency to hide little things in their OTAs that might close any holes used to root. Therefore, just don't take the OTA when it comes out. For example...

Let's say an OTA is set to come out Friday. You have two options, which are to 1) take the update, or 2) don't take it, and wait a few* days for the dev community to crack open the update, take out the bits you don't want, give it root access, and then you flash it to your phone. You good all the good, and none of the bad.

Upvote 0

If the fix to the root exploit was hidden in that ota you may not be able to root until another exploit is found

Reactions: Lafcadio
Upvote 0
all i am saying is if you take an ota and loose the ability to root, dont post 1000000^10000000000 threads about when will root be found :p
I'm pretty sure I won't... But thanks. :)
what, it happens :D
It does, and I give you all my word I will not start these threads. I sorta know what's going on behind the scenes in rooting.

and I will create a Hall of Shame sticky and move all those threads/posts there, sticky it, and lock the thread.

ok I won't do that, but that's my little mod fantasy.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones