Legal tethering using Droid X hotspotSupport

Last Updated:

1. BrianSusan

BrianSusan Member This Topic's Starter

Has anyone switched from a standard home internet to using just the droid X hotspot capabilties? If so how does the cost compare? I am considering getting two droid x's and paying for tethering if it will repalce my normal home internet which is via satellite and runs $45 a month.

Advertisement
  2. Paycer

Paycer Well-Known Member

For me, it mostly depends on how good your 3G coverage is where you live. Mine is decent, so I actually plan to tether my phone when I need faster net or want to download something big. I'm currently stuck on a 200KB/s low-speed Internet connection with my ISP, so 3G is quite often faster for me.

3. pjsockett

pjsockett Well-Known Member

I would be careful going that route. Depending on your typical home internet usage you may easily blow through the 2gb cap and get stuck with a huge bill. If you don't stream a lot of video or download large files it may not be an issue for you.

4. Paycer

Paycer Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if tethering via root access is necessarily, "illegal." It may be breaking Verizon's TOS, but I don't know about getting in trouble with the law. If that's the case, it seems a bit harsh.

5. Old Man

Old Man Well-Known Member

I think this may be touching on the differences between civil and criminal law. You could be "in trouble with the law" in that you conceivably could end up in court but I think that it would at least initially be a civil rather than criminal matter. And it would probably take more than a simple ToS violation for anything to go to court, but if there were disagreements that the two parties could not resolve themselves regarding the results of or response to a ToS violation then it could go there.

6. Theeulogy

Theeulogy Well-Known Member

I really doubt you would get in trouble at all, I used AT&T 3G tethered for free a couple years ago for my main houshold internet. I had just moved and needed something till I got cable, ended up using it for 3 to 4 months at over 5 gigs every time. I think the ABSOLUTE WORST that could happen is they will cancell your acount for over usage, which has happened to people on AT&T in extreme situations.

7. BrianSusan

BrianSusan Member This Topic's Starter

When I said "legal" I meant in compliance with TOS using the new droid x capabilites. If I use internet I have no issue paying for it I was just wondering if using it could actually replace me home internet. It appears most use in place of an air card but I have not heard of anyone using to it "replace" home internet.