Legend Data usage

Last Updated:

1. Gmac85

Gmac85 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys, hoping you could answer a few questions for me. I'm about to move to my first smartphone (the Legend obviously) and I'm wondering about data usage.

The Legend is currently offered in the UK on Vodafone and the have a 500mb cap on monthly data usage. My first question would be how easy is it to go over this amount. Bear in mind most of my surfing would be done at home over my wi-fi connection. The most I would use 3g for would be looking at some web pages when I'm out and about. I would not be streaming any audio or video continuously. If anyone could post there average usage that would be great.

Secondly, is it possible to completely turn off access to 3g networks? I'd like to be able to do this when I'm at work, since I would have no oppurtunity to use my phone there (overly attentive supervisors). Basicly I wouldn't want any data transfer to occur when it's in my pocket for 8 and a half hours with no chance to be used.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Advertisement
  2. c_man

c_man Well-Known Member

If most of your browsing is done via WiFi, you'll be more than fine , especially if you're only planning on viewing web pages and no video. I used my Pre on Orange UK for exactly the same purposes as you have mentioned [but with 2G during work hours to pick up emails, no browsing though] and I never went over 250mb - and even that amount was contributed to by viewing forums with loads of pics, etc. General browsing will be a lot less.

Sure you can turn data off. Most people do this when they go abroad to avoid racking up stupendous data charges.

Hope that helps..

3. c0nde

c0nde Member

Don't worry. I have a data plan of 75mb/month (I know, how sad, but that's how things are in Portugal) and never went over that limit. I mostly use wifi because I have it at work and at home. But I still use 3g to get some emails, friendstream(twitter+facebook) and the weather widget.

I always have mobile internet turned off, only enable it when I really need it. You can disable it with APNDroid, or if you press the power button for 2 seconds a menu will come up that allows you to turn off mobile internet. So no problem there.

4. Gmac85

75mb! And I thought 500mb was low.

Cheers for the replies guys, you cleared that up nicely. Picked up my Legend today, looking forward to playing about with it :)

5. Dog_chops

Dog_chops Well-Known Member

You can always download a niffty widget to monitor your usage:). Works very well.

6. Jacques993

Jacques993 New Member

Heads up, the 500mb limit is not actually a limit. you can go over & if its over 1gb they will warm you up to 5 times & wont upgrade you automatically or charge you. Vodafone only :)

7. c_man

c_man Well-Known Member

Hmm.... don't be so sure! Things with Vodafone have changed MASSIVELY over the past week. Vodafone will be charging anyone who oversteps the 500mb mark... the third link below sums it all up:

1] Mobile Internet - Will The 500Mb Allowance Be Enough For Internet Usage? - Vodafone eForum

2] MoneySavingExpert.com Forums - View Single Post - HTC Desire Vodafone 500mb Fair Usage Policy

3] Vodafone scrap fair use policy for data, don’t tell customers | BitterWallet

8. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

It depends how often you wish to use your phone, I regularly go over 1gb a month for instance

9. eddyhall

eddyhall Member

@c_man: Vodafone have started implementing what their polociy has been all along. It was only a matter of time before the goodwill gesture of not enforcing a cap - that all customenrs had agreed to when they started their contracts - ran out.

@Gmac85: If you want to turn off 3G altogether, settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Mobile Networks -> Network Mode -> set this to GSM only. This will also save you an enormous amount of batery life.

Cheers,
    Eddy

Gmac85 likes this.
  10. techno12

techno12 Member

I've just finished my first month with my Legend on Vodafone, and NetCounter shows 260mb. That's me downloading half a dozen apps, and a fair bit of web-surfing (I've spent at least 12 hours in that browser I reckon).

I recommend NetCounter as you can set the start date of the month and it shows you the daily/weekly/monthly usage and will trigger an alarm if you get close to your limit.

11. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Or 3G watchdog as an alternative, used it without fail for 8 months

GeoffBot likes this.
  12. KurtAlden

KurtAlden New Member

I reckon you'll be fine as long as you're reasonably careful. I use Netcounter and it shows that I use 10-15mb a day which ends up at around 400mb a month. Just ensure that you keep an eye on your usage so you can do something about it if you go way over at the start.

13. Gmac85

Thanks for all your replies guys, was expecting maybe 1 person to reply at most :)

I got 3g watchdog, it's been very useful (along with Advanced Task Killer). I think my fears over internet usage were unfounded, as i've (apparantly) only used 1.8mb since Sunday. Thank god for my wifi.

14. Ambictus

Ambictus Well-Known Member

How much is your 500MB/mo? Here in the US we don't get a choice, if we have a smart phone we're forced to have a data plan. I'm with AT&T and it's $30 US for unlimited data.

My wife uses her Backflip quite a bit and is usually around 400-450MB/mo. I'm not sure exactly how heavy she uses it but I know she uses facebook and gmail a lot. She also browses forums.