• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lenovo is wasting no time in destroying Motorola

bjacks12

Android Expert
Aug 8, 2012
Las Vegas
Stupid greedy so-and-sos. Google turned that company into a promising future for Android and Lenovo just couldn't help themselves. They don't seem to care at all that people LIKED what Motorola was doing.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/1...is-now-apparently-ending-them-after-219-days/

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/1...etirement-of-moto-assist-migrate-and-connect/

Apparently the carrier variants of the 2014 Moto X and the 2015 Moto E are not being updated. I can understand the 2013 devices being excluded(still think they should update them though)......but devices from the end of last year and beginning of this year? That's inexcusable. Absolutely inexcusable.

What's the difference between this and any other garbage Chinese company?

Last edited:
Yeah, I posted in the Moto X forum. I just can't get over it. I'm just really ticked right now. I've had my '14 X less than a year and just figured I'd get Marshmallow. Really ticked.

I've always loved Moto phones but will have to think long and hard when I need a new one. I'm not jumping ship just to jump ship but they've made it VERY hard to stay...

Reactions: RA_BH
Upvote 0
In Motorola's defense, they are changing the dynamic by which the cellular industry has been built over the past decade. With the introduction of this years Pure and to some degree with the Pure editions of previous years in the X line and the G and E line as well as the N6, they are cutting the traditional ties to carriers. Carriers have made it incredibly awkward and tedious for manufacturers to send out software updates and this has effected the entire Android ecosystem. When you ask an Apple guy why they go with Apple most at some point in the hour long diatribe they spew at you will say that Android fragmentation is silly. Sad thing? They are 100% correct.

If you want to level hate at anyone, level it at the carriers that require somewhere between 17 and 1,732 (and a half) hoops to be jumped through before an update can go out. My assumption is they are more trying to wipe the slate clean and move forward with a new line and philosophy where they will no longer have to bow to the whims of the carriers.

NOW ...

The ...eh hmm cheaper/older phones in question ... 13 X and G and E .... well the answer is 2 fold. 1. they are .... well cheap. There is no incentive to keep updating them beyond a certain point. And 2. they don't in most cases have the hardware to keep up with newer editions of Android. (remember how long it took to get 5.0 out to the 13 X? that's because the hardware was not compatible and there had to be certain .... modifications before it would even work on the 13 X.

6.0 Marshmallow is adding a boat load of new functions and there is new hardware components that have been added to the N5X and N6P that are specific to functionality that's been added. For a moment think about the huge pain in the KNEE that it would be to make Marshmallow work on a snapdragon 410? or worse a 400? with 1GB of RAM. IF...big IF they could make it work, your phone would be a slug.

Just my 2 cents and yes I am a Motorola fan boy, apologist and devoted user. No I am not on the payroll. :D

Upvote 0
Stupid ass greedy pricks. Google turned that company into a promising future for Android and Lenovo just couldn't help themselves. They don't seem to care at all that people LIKED what Motorola was doing.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/1...is-now-apparently-ending-them-after-219-days/

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/1...etirement-of-moto-assist-migrate-and-connect/

Apparently the carrier variants of the 2014 Moto X and the 2015 Moto E are not being updated. I can understand the 2013 devices being excluded(still think they should update them though)......but devices from the end of last year and beginning of this year? That's inexcusable. Absolutely inexcusable.

What's the difference between this and any other garbage Chinese company?
I'd consider this a phone crisis.. Motorola has always helped set the bar for advancement but now?!.. Truly a shame. The only thing Corporations want Motorola for are it's thousands of patents it designed & engineered that are the basics of almost every wireless device in history. Owning their patents = astronomical royalties for almost everything electronic in existence..

Upvote 0
large.gif

Reactions: LG Fanatic
Upvote 0
Could be trying to fork Android more to add this:
http://www.computerworld.com/articl...hinkpad-thinkcentre-and-thinkstation-pcs.html

I was considering a Motorola, but I'll think twice now.

What's bothering me is TMO and band 12, too. TMO is trying to get carriers who sell unlocked to pull that band. You can't use VOLTE, only data, which means you can't call 911. Apparently Moto is disabling 12 until TMO OKS. Article about it on Android Police.

I don't want a carrier phone.

Upvote 0
In Motorola's defense, they are changing the dynamic by which the cellular industry has been built over the past decade. With the introduction of this years Pure and to some degree with the Pure editions of previous years in the X line and the G and E line as well as the N6, they are cutting the traditional ties to carriers. Carriers have made it incredibly awkward and tedious for manufacturers to send out software updates and this has effected the entire Android ecosystem. When you ask an Apple guy why they go with Apple most at some point in the hour long diatribe they spew at you will say that Android fragmentation is silly. Sad thing? They are 100% correct.

If you want to level hate at anyone, level it at the carriers that require somewhere between 17 and 1,732 (and a half) hoops to be jumped through before an update can go out. My assumption is they are more trying to wipe the slate clean and move forward with a new line and philosophy where they will no longer have to bow to the whims of the carriers.

NOW ...

The ...eh hmm cheaper/older phones in question ... 13 X and G and E .... well the answer is 2 fold. 1. they are .... well cheap. There is no incentive to keep updating them beyond a certain point. And 2. they don't in most cases have the hardware to keep up with newer editions of Android. (remember how long it took to get 5.0 out to the 13 X? that's because the hardware was not compatible and there had to be certain .... modifications before it would even work on the 13 X.

6.0 Marshmallow is adding a boat load of new functions and there is new hardware components that have been added to the N5X and N6P that are specific to functionality that's been added. For a moment think about the huge pain in the KNEE that it would be to make Marshmallow work on a snapdragon 410? or worse a 400? with 1GB of RAM. IF...big IF they could make it work, your phone would be a slug.

Just my 2 cents and yes I am a Motorola fan boy, apologist and devoted user. No I am not on the payroll. :D
Well. Yeah. But the Turbo is being updated. That sort of takes away from the whole carriers are a PITA to deal with.

And yes, Moto is going towards the Nexus model - all carriers/no bloat and I like that. I'm all in favor of that. I'm not in favor of not getting Marshmallow on a less than year old phone while others do. No excuses. Just seems a sneaky backhanded way to change the business model.

EDIT: Good article from Computerworld.

Upvote 0
Well. Yeah. But the Turbo is being updated. That sort of takes away from the whole carriers are a PITA to deal with.

And yes, Moto is going towards the Nexus model - all carriers/no bloat and I like that. I'm all in favor of that. I'm not in favor of not getting Marshmallow on a less than year old phone while others do. No excuses. Just seems a sneaky backhanded way to change the business model.

Clem, can I call you Clem? I hope you know after the year or more that we have posted on several of the same boards (and I referred to you as a man once or twice :oops:) that I have nothing but love and respect for you. Honestly the 2014 X is a bit of a mystery to me as well. I will say initially they said they would not be updating the X 13 to 5.0 but changed that at some point later, so there's hope. The question of the turbo? That's easy, I have no proof of this, but I am reasonably sure Moto signed a "Droid contract" at some point years ago that they are still having to live through the fine details of. Why I believe this is the turbo was an X on steroids as will be the X bounce/force/2015 droid ... why would Moto intentionally make their "best" phones only available outside the US or through VZW the arguably WORST carrier to deal with? Easy cause for right now THEY HAVE TO. So why does the droid turbo get the update .... cause they have to.

All that aside, I hope for you that you either A. get the update you desire or B. get the X Pure 2015 (it's awesome FYI) and that you are once again a happy Motouser. :D

Upvote 0
Didn't Sprint OWN Motorola..??
yea...no. Not that I ever heard. Motorola was a self sustained tho fragmented company prior to Google purchasing the mobile division and R&D divisions. There is still a Chicago based division of Motorola that only does civil communications (police, military and first response communications) that was not a part of the Google sale and to my knowledge was not a part of the lenovo sale.

Upvote 0
OK.. The way I had understood it (plz straighten me out if incorrect because I would like to better understand) was:
Sprint bought Nextel/Motorola which had Boost Mobile.. Then shut down Moto's IDEN network to reprogram towers for 4G/Wimax.. Then Google bought what was left for the patents to fight crAPPLE. Now I'm confused, Lol.
Ur saying that Motorola was still a standalone company that was also bought out by Lenovo?

Upvote 0
Motorola split into two entities in 2011. Motorola Solutions remains independent, doing the civic stuff mentioned above.

Motorola Mobility kept the cell phones. They were bought by Google. Google owned them for a year or two, during which period Motorola became AWESOME(Moto X, G, E, fast updates, no bloat, etc).

Turns out Google just wanted the patents, so they kept those and sold the rest of the company to Lenovo.

Lenovo is a Chinese consumer electronics company. They're famous for buying the Thinkpad line from IBM and screwing it up. They get in trouble regularly for including malware from the factory in their PCs and causing data breaches as a result. They also sell their own reportedly terrible smartphones(not in the US).

They said they would integrate their mobile division into Motorola rather than integrating Motorola into their mobile division. This was taken to mean that they would be replacing their own internal culture and shitty devices with Motorola's good products. Instead, they've been laying off almost everybody from Motorola. They wanted the brand, that's all they cared about. I imagine in the next year or two that they will start adding skins and malware to the Moto line.

Upvote 0
Clem, can I call you Clem? I hope you know after the year or more that we have posted on several of the same boards (and I referred to you as a man once or twice :oops:) that I have nothing but love and respect for you. Honestly the 2014 X is a bit of a mystery to me as well. I will say initially they said they would not be updating the X 13 to 5.0 but changed that at some point later, so there's hope. The question of the turbo? That's easy, I have no proof of this, but I am reasonably sure Moto signed a "Droid contract" at some point years ago that they are still having to live through the fine details of. Why I believe this is the turbo was an X on steroids as will be the X bounce/force/2015 droid ... why would Moto intentionally make their "best" phones only available outside the US or through VZW the arguably WORST carrier to deal with? Easy cause for right now THEY HAVE TO. So why does the droid turbo get the update .... cause they have to.

All that aside, I hope for you that you either A. get the update you desire or B. get the X Pure 2015 (it's awesome FYI) and that you are once again a happy Motouser. :D
Sure, you can call me Clem, I'm sure the gecko won't mind :D

And look at you, being the voice of reason. Not sure how I feel about that, just when I want a good old fashion throw down hissy fit.

I'm sticking with the '14 'til it dies. It's a great phone, with or without Marshmallow. I just wanted, and expected, Marshmallow. I thought about the Pure but it seems large and doesn't have AMOLED (I like it, whatever). I looked at the N5X, small but no real upgrade and the N6P is larger but has AMOLED. So, I'll wait 'til next year. Maybe another Moto, maybe not.

Last edited:
Reactions: shalemail
Upvote 0
The name Lenovo was very obscure to me until this thread

Lenovo doesn't sell phones in North America or the EU, only computers, using IBM's old "Thinkpad" brand for laptops, etc. Motorola is a famous name for phones and has a lot of brand recognition, Lenovo does not. Thats what some Chinese companies do, they buy or license famous US brands for their own products, e.g. TCL TVs in the US are called RCA.

Reactions: bcrichster
Upvote 0
I remember when IBM sold the Thinkpad to Lenovo.

Lenovo was responsible for the "Superfish" debacle.
http://arstechnica.com/security/201...still-causing-pain-for-some-lenovo-customers/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2887392/lenovo-hit-with-lawsuit-over-superfish-snafu.html

Lenovo did put out a removal tool.

I don't know if they would add trackers to the phones or not. I've seen articles claiming Chinese spyware on Huawei. I'm discounting that. I use a Chinese Oppo Find 7 and I really like the phone.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Apparently there are some fooky and very suspicious things going on with some Chinese devices:-

http://androidforums.com/threads/rstech_knile-any-info.946078/#post-7096913
Which was very probably some spyware thing.

http://androidforums.com/threads/virus-keeps-coming-back-after-reboot.949541/#post-7096370
And there was all sorts of shit going on there.

Although those two were no-name or off-brand cheapo tablets.

BTW I just bought my second Oppo, an R7 Plus.:thumbsupdroid:

Then large multinationals try doing bad things as well.
Yeh Lenovo with Superfish, until they got found out.

....cough cough..iPhone Location Tracking Scandal....VW Diesel Emissions Scandal...and not Chinese.

Upvote 0
Apparently there are some fooky and very suspicious things going on with some Chinese devices:-

http://androidforums.com/threads/rstech_knile-any-info.946078/#post-7096913
Which was very probably some spyware thing.
http://androidforums.com/threads/virus-keeps-coming-back-after-reboot.949541/#post-7096370
And there was all sorts of shit going on there.

Although those two were no-name or off-brand cheapo tablets.
Then large multinationals try doing bad things as well.
Yeh Lenovo with Superfish, until they got found out.
....cough cough..iPhone Location Tracking Scandal....VW Diesel Emissions Scandal...and not Chinese.
Just read about a yet-to-be-released report from an EU Group stating Sammy's been cheating the energy (efficiency/savings) tests on new TV's.I'm trying to stay objective,as the report isn't out yet,but,past practices on phones cheating the benchmarks doesn't help their credibility.

BTW I just bought my second Oppo, an R7 Plus.:thumbsupdroid:
Congrats on the R7Plus! :thumbsupdroid:
I'd consider it sometime later,perhaps if development takes off.
Glad you mentioned it,as I wanted to ask you about the memory/storage partitioning:
Is it similar to the Find7/7a,to where you only had 3GB for apps?
My apologies to everyone for going off-topic,this has been digging at me since the R7Plus was announced some time back & judging from previous OPPO forums here,it'll be quieter than a church on SuperBowl Sunday,if one even gets started........

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Just read about a yet-to-be-released report from an EU Group stating Sammy's been cheating the energy (efficiency/savings) tests on new TV's.I'm trying to stay objective,as the report isn't out yet,but,past practices on phones cheating the benchmarks doesn't help their credibility.

Congrats on the R7Plus! :thumbsupdroid:
I'd consider it sometime later,perhaps if development takes off.
Glad you mentioned it,as I wanted to ask you about the memory/storage partitioning:
Is it similar to the Find7/7a,to where you only had 3GB for apps?
My apologies to everyone for going off-topic,this has been digging at me since the R7Plus was announced some time back & judging from previous OPPO forums here,it'll be quieter than a church on SuperBowl Sunday,if one even gets started........

It's unified, has the whole storage available for apps. And F7/7a did officially get unified storage with the Lollipop ColorOS update. Which you had to install and do with a PC. Think Oppo learned their lessons there from all the howling about it. Our own R7/R7 Plus forums are indeed rather empty, because I think most people with these phones head over to the manufacturer's board, Oppo Forums.

I'm actually happy and do like ColorOS now, one reason why I bought another Oppo.

And to bring the thread somewhat back on topic...I'll just leave this here...a rather sorry P700.
de46331c0ebbf7e5ebf434d259a02da3.jpg

Friend asked me if I could do anything with it, and I didn't think I could and/or I couldn't be bothered with it. It's interesting in one way, because it's probably the only phone I've ever seen that has an FM transmitter in it, so can play your tunes on the car radio, or any other radios.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And to bring the thread somewhat back on topic...I'll just leave this here...a rather sorry P700.
View attachment 94857

Friend asked me if I could do anything with it, and I didn't think I could and/or I couldn't be bothered with it. It's interesting in one way, because it's probably the only phone I've ever seen that has an FM transmitter in it, so can play your tunes on the car radio, or any other radios.

As for getting back on track,the transition to Lenovo & the angst from those w/relatively new devices getting stranded is history repeating itself:
Same sort of B.S. was foisted on Atrix/Photon/Electrify owners,as the company was headed in a "new direction" & decisions (cuts) had to be made.
I've learned from that & to a lesser degree,from other mfgs as well,don't fall in Fanboi luv w/any of them.

Get an unlocked device (SIM & Bootloader unlockable) &/or,one that has a healthy development community,that's where a lot of the innovation/real support originates anyway.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones