• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lenovo laptops.

Never owned a Lenovo, but I've heard generally the same thing. However, one of our admins has just gone through a horrendous experience with one. I suppose each mfg. makes a lemon now and then, but it does tend to put you off. I've been pretty happy with my old Acer Timeline and my new Asus Zenbook.

What are you looking for in terms of size, weight, battery, storage, etc. and most importantly, what's your budget?

Upvote 0
Well I will pretty much just use it at home, so portability isn't huge. I've finished college so I don't need to lug it around (part of the reason my Toshiba is in bad shape). Size would be a 15" or bigger screen. Battery life isn't too important either, for the same reason. The number one priority is reliability. Performance would be second. I've never come close to filling my 500 GB hard drive.

Upvote 0
My wife and I have had Lenovos since the time that IBM owned 'em. We've always been pleased with them. But, we have always had the Thinkpad models so I can't speak to any of the others. We like the non-glary screen but they are somewhat difficult to see in bright sunlight. Not a problem for us as we typically use them inside.

I did have a speaker go bad on my T530 and talked to Atlanta support. The box for me to send it in for repair was at my door the next morning. I boxed it up and took it to UPS early that afternoon (no charge) and the system was delivered back to me the following afternoon. I was very impressed. That's the only warranty experience that I've had so my opinion is positive but may not be representative of everyones, I can't say.

Upvote 0
I've had Toshiba, IBM, HP, Compaq, Acer, Asus, Dell and Sony laptops. The only one I really have had any reliability and longevity problems with were the Sony's. They tended to run hot and burn out components. And, because of the goofy way Sony assembles the components, parts aren't readily available and Sony's repair costs are prohibitive.

I did have warranty issues with the Toshiba, Dell and the Acer, but they got fixed with minimal hassle other than the aggravation of dealing with big corporations.

Upvote 0
Glad you asked this question. I have been wondering about the Lenovo brand as well. I just helped a family member pick out a laptop and soon realized its been awhile since I've explored what's out there.

Ended up pointing her toward an Acer Aspire but the Lenovo's looked like a serious option. Just didn't know enough about them to make a recommendation.

Upvote 0
Good move!

My outstanding Lenovo experience? Bought a Y400 about a year and half ago. It failed after 2 months and had the HD replaced, then again a month later. Still had issues, so they sent me recovery disks and another HD to replace myself. Still no good. Then it went back and had the motherboard replaced. Came back working fine but with screen damage and the keyboard would pop up at will. Then we got "escalated" customer support and things slowed way down. After a month of escalation (i.e NOTHING), they decided to replace the Y400 with a new y410p...yay! They had to send me a box for the Y400 because the original was so soft due to it's frequent trips back to Lenovo. The first Y410p sent was DOA. Second one worked fine...for about 3 months when it died too. RMA'd and it went back last week. Can't wait to see what comes back. Maybe a pony?

Upvote 0
As said a couple of times earlier, Lenovo ThinkPad models are very good quality, I can't comment on other models. Now, that said, I can't say if they're going to continue but I certainly wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. Between my wife and I, over the years (23) we've had 6 ThinkPads. When we upgraded we did because we wanted to with one exception. Our laptops get VERY heavy use.

Upvote 0
You might want to consider something like The PC Decrapifier Wipes Unwanted Junk | The PC Decrapifier or Decrap - Windows PC De-crapifier, remove bloatware with ease! before you "move in". It's easier to get rid of the junkware first then to root it out later when it starts to ask for $$$. Revo uninstaller Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download - Uninstall software, remove programs, solve uninstall problems is also handy for that special crapware that doesn't allow itself to be completely removed with windows uninstaller.

I'll be doing this next week when the Lenovo returns. Since I stupidly didn't backup a clean image from the Y410p . I did the image, but never copied it to an external drive so it died with the HD.:banghead::banghead:
Since I've now restored the Lenovo's (in one for or another) HD 8,9,10, more? :eek: times, I should know better!!!

Upvote 0
I own a lenovo laptop and it's now almost 4years and still running great.I completely satisfied with their service.

I'd pay to have that opinion! As mentioned, the difference maker is probably Thinkpad vs Ideapad. Thinkpad owners seem to have a much better experience. Still, that shouldn't let Lenovo off the hook for the absolutely worst ever abysmal experience I've had with them. The biggest disappointment was after so much trouble, getting my case escalated to management. I'm guessing escalate translates to slow everything down to a standstill in Chinese? I never had a problem with any Lenovo support rep I dealt with, the problem is I've dealt with so many of them!

The (don't buy a!!) y410p should return today, which is a fairly fast turn around (11 days total), much faster than any previously. Every previous "repair" had at least an extra week added due to back ordered parts. I'm so curious as to its condition when it arrives. Will it be damaged further? Will the HD be set up with as a fresh windows install or will it arrive again with an active administrator account?

We have a pool here as to when this piece of junk breaks again. I have a month, my wife says DOA.

Upvote 0
I'd pay to have that opinion! ...

I think you hit the nail squarely on the proverbial head! People with ThinkPads DID pay to have that opinion. ;) Remember that old TV transmission (I think) commercial? You can pay me now, or you can pay me later. This is one situation that fits the saying - you get what you pay for.

We've run ThinkPads for over 20 years and have been, and still are, VERY happy with them.

Reactions: pastafarian
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones