Lens, sticky plasticSupport

Last Updated:

1. phaedrus

phaedrus Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

I know this is a ridiculous question, sorry. My Galaxy S came with a little piece of sticky plastic, with a cut-out hole for the lens itself, that covered the camera bezel. I assume this was just to prevent the silver bit getting scratched in transit, and not for anything important like keeping dust out of the housing, etc?

I only ask because I assumed it was intended to be removed, but it was quite tricky to get off. So when I finally did get it off, I suddenly wondered if I should have done ;)

Yours paranoidly etc...

thanks

Advertisement
  2. andy-roid

andy-roid Well-Known Member

Yes you was suppose to remove it

3. goyal.sanchit

goyal.sanchit Well-Known Member

IMO it was meant for removal. But I have covered the camera now with a transparent sticker.

Dont want the glass on the outside to get a scratch and thus ruin every photo for the future!

4. LateNiteMike

LateNiteMike Well-Known Member

Speaking of the camera lens....I've come up with an innovation that I'd like to share with all of you SGS owners.
    Here it is: I have one of those (black) silicone rubber covers on my SGS. I'm telling you that for a reason...hear me out.
    I wanted to take a quick photo the other day,...so I whipped out my SGS and grabbed the shot. There was only time for one shot...and no chance to grab that shot a second time.
    When I went in to the Gallery to look at the photo.....I was quite disappointed to find out that the photo was quite blurry. Come to find out, there was an oily fingerprint smudge on the lens of the camera.
    I was pretty bummed out that my photo wasn't clear and sharp as i ahd expected it to be. While cleaning the lens for another shot sometime in the future...I started to think to myself "How can I keep the lens clean and always ready for my next photo?"
    I came up with this solution/option:
    After cleaning the SGS camera lens really well with a good lens cloth,...cut a piece about one inch (25mm) or less from the cloth. Then peel back your silicone rubber case at the corner nearest the camera. Then, place the little piece of lens cloth over the camera lens and then put the rubber case back in place. You're Done.

You've just made a good lens cover that will stay in place until you want to take a photo. Now you know the lens will be protected and clean and always ready for that next quick shot!
    Yes it does take a moment to peel the rubber case back and remove the little piece of lens cloth....but to me it's better and quicker than having to find something (good) to clean the lens and spend time actually cleaning the lens before the shot.
    And,....you always have your little piece of lens cloth with you.
    When you're finished shooting, you peel back the rubber case and place the piece of cloth back in place (over the lens), pull the rubber case back into place and you're good to go!
    No more smudged photos in your gallery. YEA !
    Just a suggestion....it works well for me.

5. anteries

anteries Active Member

good idea, I have the same problem with my HTC wildfire. Seems crazy they haven't thought of a solution to this, the manufacturers that is. I'm going to try your idea. When you were describing it, I assumed you could just pinch the cloth over the lens and pull it out through the hole in the camera case. Either way great idea.

LateNiteMike likes this.
  6. LateNiteMike

LateNiteMike Well-Known Member

I suppose you could find a way to manage removing it that way....but I just peel back the corner of the rubber case (skin) nearest the camera and remove the small piece of lens cloth before taking shots.
    Anyway,...as you said...you would think that the manufacturers would have provided a cover of some sort.
    For me this was just a quick fix for the lack of a lens cover and it works....until something better comes along.....Like maybe cases or 'skins' that have a lens cover already in them.
    Now THERE"S an idea for some enterprising case manufacturer ! Ha ! :D

7. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

Or you can just not touch the lens...

8. Big MikeH

Big MikeH Member

I have a thicker gel case and don't have a perticular problem with finger prints, but dust can be a problem.

I do miss the sliding lens cover that was on my old SE K800. It activated the camera instantly even when the keypad was locked and the lense was always finger print and dust free. I'd hapily put up with an extra few mm on the case for a sliding cover like that.

Mike