• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Leonard Nimoy passed away today

While Spock was his defining role, he played many other roles.

Before Trek he appeared on many popular TV shows like Perry Mason, Dragnet, Sea Hunt and The Twilight Zone. (I think i recall hearing that it was on the set of the Twilight Zone where he first met Shatner???)

After Trek he was on Mission Impossible, Night Gallery and Columbo. And don't forget the show "In Search Of".

I must admit, though that my favorite role of his other than Spock is as the voice of Galvatron in the animated Transformers movie.

Upvote 0

Before Trek he appeared on many popular TV shows like Perry Mason, Dragnet, Sea Hunt and The Twilight Zone. (I think i recall hearing that it was on the set of the Twilight Zone where he first met Shatner???)

After Trek he was on Mission Impossible, Night Gallery and Columbo. And don't forget the show "In Search Of".

I must admit, though that my favorite role of his other than Spock is as the voice of Galvatron in the animated Transformers movie.

I guess at 25 I'm too young to have seen any of that. :(

Upvote 0

Fringe, too. :thumbsupdroid:

Also, he sang about Hobbits:

"... yet it should be noted, in the midst of our sorrow, this death takes place in the shadow of new life, the sunrise of a new world; a world that our beloved comrade gave his life to protect and nourish. He did not feel this sacrifice a vain or empty one, and we will not debate his profound wisdom at these proceedings. Of my friend, I can only say this: Of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most ... human."
- James T Kirk

Upvote 0
Yes, heard this afternoon. Sad news - I always think of him as a man of warmth and humour, even though best known for playing a character who suppressed his emotions. And I agree with Clem: although Trek was always a team effort, I always felt that Spock, and Leonard's portrayal of him, was central to its success.

LLAP

Upvote 0
I will be watching a Star Trek marathon this weekend..

I'm there, too, but it's so hard to pick the best Spock episodes. I've marked my favorites.

Pilots
01 "The Cage"
02a "Where No Man Has Gone Before"

Season 1
02b "Where No Man Has Gone Before"
03 "The Corbomite Maneuver"
04 "Mudd's Women"
05 "The Enemy Within"
06 "The Man Trap"
07 "The Naked Time"
08 "Charlie X"
09 "Balance of Terror"
10 "What Are Little Girls Made Of?"
11 "Dagger of the Mind"
12 "Miri"
13 "The Conscience of the King"
14 "The Galileo Seven"
15 "Court Martial"
16 "The Menagerie, Parts I and II"
17 "Shore Leave"
18 "The Squire of Gothos"
19 "Arena"
20 "The Alternative Factor"
21 "Tomorrow Is Yesterday"
22 "The Return of the Archons"
23 "A Taste of Armageddon"

24 "Space Seed"
25 "This Side of Paradise"
26 "The Devil in the Dark"
27 "Errand of Mercy"
28 "The City on the Edge of Forever"

29 "Operation: Annihilate!"

Season 2
30 "Catspaw"
31 "Metamorphosis"
32 "Friday's Child"
33 "Who Mourns for Adonais?"
34 "Amok Time"
35 "The Doomsday Machine"
36 "Wolf in the Fold"
37 "The Changeling"
38 "The Apple"
39 "Mirror, Mirror"
40 "The Deadly Years"
41 "I, Mudd"
42 "The Trouble With Tribbles"

43 "Bread and Circuses"
44 "Journey to Babel"
45 "A Private Little War"
46 "The Gamesters of Triskelion"
47 "Obsession"
48 "The Immunity Syndrome"
49 "A Piece of the Action"
50 "By Any Other Name"
51 "Return to Tomorrow"
52 "Patterns of Force"

53 "The Ultimate Computer"
54 "The Omega Glory"
55 "Assignment: Earth"

Season 3
56 "Spectre of the Gun"
57 "Elaan of Troyius"
58 "The Paradise Syndrome"
59 "The Enterprise Incident"
60 "And the Children Shall Lead"
61 "Spock's Brain"
62 "Is There in Truth No Beauty?"
63 "The Empath"
64 "The Tholian Web"
65 "For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky"
66 "Day of the Dove"
67 "Plato's Stepchildren"
68 "Wink of an Eye"
69 "That Which Survives"
70 "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield"
71 "Whom Gods Destroy"
72 "The Mark of Gideon"
73 "The Lights of Zetar"
74 "The Cloud Minders"
75 "The Way to Eden"

76 "Requiem for Methuselah"
77 "The Savage Curtain"
78 "All Our Yesterdays"
79 "Turnabout Intruder"

Upvote 0
RIP Leonard Nimoy.

I heard of his passing in a way I'm sure he would have found amusing and Spock would have found "logical". I was sitting waiting for my eleven year old to finish her ballet class. Picture the scene, six blokes, all nodding acquaintances sat waiting for their daughters. All but one of us studying our phones (two iphones, a Note 3 a Lumia of some sort and an M8 BTW). I got a BBC notification of his death and actually groaned, just after I heard the tell tale BBC news notification chime from Mr M8 owner. He looked up at me and I said "Was that the beeb telling you Spock has died?" He nodded and the five of us started a conversation about all things Star Trek. A surreal and sad moment. :(

Upvote 0
“My friend… is obviously Chinese."
kirkspockcityedgeforever.jpg

City On The Edge Of Forever, my favourite episode.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones