Less than 100MB RAM memory after 2.3.5 update on DHDSupport

1. dreamKeeper

dreamKeeper New Member

After the 2.3.5 update on my DHD I encountered many issues: first, my phone kept rebooting again and again without stopping. Whenever I opened an app it rebooted. I did the factory reset thing and now it's fine. However, my RAM memory is automatically occupied: more than 400MB of the 768MB RAM on my DHD is NOT free. There's not app or process running in the background that could use that amount of RAM memory. Sp how come I only have ~100MB RAM left to use? Plus it keeps giving me 'Error 110' whenever I download something from the Market... :confused:

Advertisement
    :
  2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

Welcome to AF! :)

The RAM thing is fine, Android is based on Linux and Linux works better when RAM is used (as opposed to Windows which benefits from having free RAM). It will kill apps if it decides it needs more RAM.

The Error 110 is apparently an error with your SD Card: Error 110. There have been a few reports of SD Card issues since the update (and it wouldn't be uncommon for a HTC Update to cause SD Card issues). Have you tried downloading stuff without the SD Card inserted/a new SD Card
    dreamKeeper likes this.
  3. dreamKeeper

dreamKeeper New Member

Thanks for explaining me the 110 Error. I'll a new SD card with my DHD and see what happens.

I understand what you're saying about Android being based on Linux, however when my free RAM drops to less than 40MB, it keeps warning me through an on-screen message... And it's annoying. Moreover, there's nothing to kill, that's the point :-?
  4. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

Does the built in task manager say anything is running?

This might give you a better idea of what is actually running and how much RAM it's taking.
  5. dreamKeeper

dreamKeeper New Member

Yes, there are 4 processes / things running: Settings (23MB), People (10MB), Touch Input (27MB), Maps (6.5MB) and HTC Sense (61MB). As you can see, adding them up will be less than 150MB... not 400MB+.

--I downloaded the app you pointed me to and it shows me this: TOTAL RAM: 600MB, Available: 129MB, Active: 217MB, Inactive: 264MB...
  6. CDPlant

CDPlant Let's dooo-ooo it Guide

Its not necessarily apps that are using ram, the Android OS needs ram for it to function, plus with sense over the top of android being very CPU and ram intensive that is probably what is taking up the space. You should also take into account things you cannot see that are running in order to keep everything working, that don't necessarily show up on a task manager.

I am running an AOSP rom without sense and I only have ~270 MB remaining on mine at the moment.
  7. dreamKeeper

dreamKeeper New Member

I see. However, it's sad to know that before this 2.3.5 update, the free RAM was always 300MB+ and now it's only ~100MB :(

Anyway, thanks for the info ;)