Less than a week in on my HTC Hero, ?'s

Last Updated:

1. stevesimon

stevesimon Member This Topic's Starter

I am still deciding if I want to keep this "Hero"... I am a part time real estate broker, blogger, radio host, blah blah...
    The Hero (and I guess all smartphones) has a bit of a learning curve.
    I am looking for those "Killer Real Estate Apps" that I have heard people rave about???
    I tried Real Estate Droid (unless I was doing something wrong) I didn't think it had any real value? Searches produced almost silly results...
    Any in real estate out here using apps that are robust with real world value?
    I would love to know which ones you favor?
    Any productivity tips or apps (not real estate) as well.
    Battery does appear to be an issue.
    'keyboard requires a bit of getting used to...
    Still early in the HTC Hero Story :)

Advertisement
  2. Nodders

Nodders Well-Known Member

Don't know about the real estate apps bit (particularly as I'm from the UK and you sounds like you're from the US) but re the battery if you're careful and manage it, you can get much more out of it.

What is common is to put switches for GPS, WiFi, Mobile Network and Bluetooth on one of the home screen - using these you can switch on and off these battery intensive activities easily. For example, when at home there is no point having mobile network AND WiFi on so i switch mobile network off (and vice versa when I'm out and about).

Alternatively you can get power management apps which do some of this for you depending on how much battery you have left - I prefer the method I use above though as it means you wont run low in the first place

Finally, the gucci method is to use an app like locale (expensive) or the still-in-development Tasker to automate the above for you. e.g. when I'm at home location then do the swap for me.

A long post for a minor comment of yours but I hope it helps. There are some threads I think a few pages down that deal with the battery issue - and it really does help.

stevesimon likes this.
  3. stevesimon

Thanks for taking the time tooffer your suggestions. To me, it seems simple enought to turn off a couple of things when I'm at home...

4. Chappie

Chappie Well-Known Member

I downloaded a battery widget from the market its free and put that on my home screen. Tap it and a selection screen comes up allowing you to switch on or off GPS, Bluetooth, WiFi. It also has a shortcut in the list to go to your display settings.

stevesimon likes this.
  5. ghop0man

ghop0man New Member

Google Maps and the Weather app must be useful to you

stevesimon likes this.
  6. ticho

ticho Well-Known Member

Just two minor nitpicks: it is completely OK to leave "Mobile Network" on when connected with WiFi. The phone will simply disconnect the mobile network when it connects to wifi, and connect again as soon as it loses the wifi connection.
    The only case you should worry about disabling "Mobile Network" when on wifi is if your wifi connection is flaky and your phone disconnects and reconnects a lot.

Also, it is OK to leave GPS on, unless you have some app running on background that uses it. Enabling it simply tells the phone to allow applications to use GPS receiver if they ask for it.

stevesimon likes this.
  7. stevesimon

I guess there "Is no free lunch?" I've installed & uninstalled about a dozen real estate apps. None have been worth leaving on the phone! It's OK I am learning more about the phone.
    The camera is very good. The call quality is very good as well.
    Other apps are out there! I am sure out of the thousands I will find quite a few useful ones :)

I will continue to read the App Reviews I come across...