Let get serious about Incredible camera picture qualityGeneral

Last Updated:

1. mrspeedmaster

mrspeedmaster Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Attached are 2 images taken minutes from each other.
    One is a HTC Incredible 8 megapixel.
    The second is another Android Phone, Motorola Backflip running OS 1.5. The motorola only has 5 megapixel
    Both are set to automatic. The only thing I did was resized to upload. No image retouching. You can read the EXIF data for yourself.

I don't care about the color accuracy/white balance too much because this can be fixed in Photoshop.

The HTC boost the ISO to 1250. Both are spot metered. Which one is better?

As you can see the blown highlights in the Incredible. These are things that simply cannot be fixed in Photoshop. The Motorola is under-exposed but that is OK because even a simple image editor can fix that.

Attached Files:

• moto.jpg
      moto.jpg
      File size:
      337.4 KB
      Views:
    • htc.jpg
      htc.jpg
      File size:
      87.7 KB
      Views:

Advertisement
  2. patkicks10

patkicks10 Well-Known Member

left looks better imo

3. mrspeedmaster

Exactly.Left is the 5 megapixel Motorola.

4. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

Left is too dark, Right is too light.

What happened to the main picture thread with the awesome quality pics from the Incredible? Anybody?

5. mrspeedmaster

Too dark can be fixed. Too bright (blown highlights) can't be fixed.

6. wonderbread

wonderbread Well-Known Member

then use manual mode or center the camera more around the brighter area of the shot in automatic mode to adjust

genxgeek likes this.
  7. phobic

phobic Well-Known Member

Maybe people are finally starting to realize that higher megapixels doesn't necessarily mean better image quality.

Edit: I don't mean that as a slam on anyone here it's just that a lot of people think more MP = better camera. If anything the manufacturers should be blamed for packing so much in a small package.

8. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

Nah this phone takes fantastic pics with the right settings and tap to focus. That's what I realized.

Just wish I knew where the thread went that had all the great pics.

:confused:

9. Proph

Proph Well-Known Member

what i have found is there is 2 ways to take awsome photos with the incredible. 1 is the long press the screen to focus. the other is to turn auto focus off and then just take the picture. i have had some shots that had blur in them do to hand shaking or moving object but on the other side i have taken some that make my point and shoot camera look like an old disposable camera.

10. mrspeedmaster

Not really. Manual mode only helps so much. A blown highlight is a blown highlight. Turning it down only makes it less white but the white is still there. You still won't see the frames of the window. It has defective metering. If you start to try to manually compensate (e.g. lower ISO to 100), you will get more camera shake (aka. blur).
    The Motorola backflip has a better camera. Better software. A darker expose picture, you can brighten it up in software to re-capture some of the detail. An over-expose picture is unrecoverable.

11. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

It's called "THIS is the camera quality!?" or something like that.

And yes, I have been taking incredible (lol) pics with this phone. Learn to change settings, ISO, balance, etc, and suddenly this phone blows away other (cell phone) cameras. Don't just rely on the "Auto" settings. While they're nice for "need a pic RIGHT NOW," they aren't going to be anything great.

Sharondippity likes this.
  12. paimon.soror

paimon.soror Well-Known Member

Right, Megapixels only make sense when talking about quality if you are throwing the size of the image as a factor. For example, on a standard 4x6 or 5x7, the human eye cannot really tell the difference between a 4mpx and a 8mpx. There are only so many pixels you can fit on an image of that size before they become moot. However, if you blow that thing up to poster size, then yes, the 8mpx camera will have much better IQ than the 4mpx camera.

It really comes down to how the lens is able to capture colors and natural light. We are talking about a very small lens with a substandard viewing angle, so obviously it isn't going to properly relate colors and light. Im sure like stated above, you can tweak the settings to get the image "just right"

13. slackfumasta

slackfumasta Well-Known Member

14. slowhat

slowhat Well-Known Member

jamor likes this.
  15. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

Err can't find it. I have a feeling due to size/loading issues from all the pictures they deleted it.

Bummer. Was a great thread. :cool:

16. TrailofTears

TrailofTears Active Member

jamor likes this.
  17. DroidDave

DroidDave Active Member

One you need to take the pictures from the same angle and basically have the same settings like white balance and so forth. My Incredible has take fantastic pictures especially in natural light outside, crystal clear. My daughter recently had a dance recital in a dark auditorium and it took a fantastic group picture. Just have to know settings on what will make the pictures look good. The only lack is it doesn't have the speed of a SLR camera. Remember it's a phone first, camera second, but a good one at that.

18. slowhat

slowhat Well-Known Member

look above your post :D

19. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

20. KSISS

KSISS Member

Thought I'd come out of hiding to post a few pics I've taken with my Incredible out here in beautiful Hawaii. They've been resized but otherwise completely untouched. I have low expectations for cell phone cameras, so these are pretty good quality by my standards.

Attached Files:

shred1, dragon999, clos1084 and 6 others like this.
  21. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

Beautiful pictures, KSISS! I'd like to see the Motorola Droid do that.

22. KSISS

KSISS Member

Thanks! I think it may be the subject matter...because by no means am I a shutter bug. :p I wish I knew more about camera settings and optimization. I'm sure someone that knows what they're doing could make those pics look that much more spectacular. Pretty good for point and shoot on a camera phone though.

23. cosmicreality

cosmicreality Member

The reason the highlight is blown in the OP's Incredible image (from what I can see) is because the was a brighter exposure. You can see this is true because the sandals are much brighter and more detail is visible.

If the exposures used by the two phones were the same, I doubt there would be any blown highlights.

Having said this, it's just a phone, people. The optical and sensor limitations of such a small camera will always leave much to be desired. Even a basic decent point & shoot camera should be able to get much better photos than any phone.

KLM and Crashumbc like this.
  24. Taylored

Taylored Well-Known Member

The Dinc is not a camera. It is a phone. The camera is quite good, but not perfect. If you want awesome photos, buy a DSLR. Or wait until Nikon comes out with a camera that also makes phone calls.

25. vasilator

vasilator Well-Known Member

I just think they should have concentrated more on lens quality than megapixels, of course that would make it less attractive from a marketing standpoint.

Anyone who has delved into Photography knows that megapixels are not nearly as important as many other features.