• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

lets be honest.. who

glow worm

Jun 11, 2010
who will take the battery life into consideration when buying a phone?

in my opinion, most people who look out for phones do not consider battery life, most would consider stuff like technology, physical looks etc but not battery life. even if there are people who consider battery life, those are just the minority. hence there are lots of controversy regarding the battery life. most might agree that the battery is just right, however it is no surprise if people complain about battery life running out too quickly.

is technology improving but not batteries? it seems like phones are getting better everyday, but the battery life has like been stagnant.

i hope you guys get my point. English is not my first language. :)

who will take the battery life into consideration when buying a phone?

in my opinion, most people who look out for phones do not consider battery life, most would consider stuff like technology, physical looks etc but not battery life. even if there are people who consider battery life, those are just the minority. hence there are lots of controversy regarding the battery life. most might agree that the battery is just right, however it is no surprise if people complain about battery life running out too quickly.

is technology improving but not batteries? it seems like phones are getting better everyday, but the battery life has like been stagnant.

i hope you guys get my point. English is not my first language. :)

Firstly that was great English, no need to apologise.

I would love more battery life out of my phone but I know the limits of my desire and I work around them. It is not much worse than my old n96 so I am used to having spare chargers at work and in the car.

The only place I've struggled in at festivals but to be honest the last thing I wanna be doing is playing with my phone when I'm chewing my face off to some nasty bass :D

Upvote 0
I would disagree with the notion that battery life development has been stagnant. for example, my last phone - Nokia 6700 would go well over a week between charges if pushed.
What you have to remember is that these batteries are powering phones as powerful as home desktop PCs were just a few years ago - so I would say the batteries are keeping pace with phones (as smart phones are getting more power hungry, battery life has stayed about the same therefore battery must be better) but would of course like to see batteries developed that can last longer on the same devices.

Upvote 0
I agree.... There are lots more things I look at before battery life... If you want a powerful phone that can do almost as much as a computer can you have to expect the battery life isn't going to be in the same league as a regular dumbphone, although I can say I am now very happy with the battery life I am getting now its bedded in after a week or so. My TomTom only lasts about 2 hours when its not plugged in and my laptop about the same so no complaints from me :D

Upvote 0
I don't think that most people consider battery life when buying a phone, because it's one of those things that you just expect to be adequate as a matter of course.

Like buying a new car, you don't look at the capacity of the fuel tank, because you just expect it to be big enough to drive about 500 miles or so without having to refuel.

It only becomes an issue if you buy the phone/car and then suddenly discover that you're constantly running out of power

Upvote 0
I think a lot of us do/would take it into account to some extent i.e. if a smartphone came out that you only needed to charge once a week, that would be a strong selling point. But the 'norm' in the full-featured smartphone market is to get one day out of your phone, and there aren't really any exceptions to that.

I previously bought a Nokia N72 to replace my N82, and was very happy with the 5 days of battery life. It was definitely a selling point, and I would have kept that phone if it wasn't crippled in so many other areas (especially low RAM - made it virtually unusable as a multitasking smartphone). I'm happy to charge every day now I have my Desire, as I am well aware of what I'm getting in return.

Upvote 0
i take battery life into account, but like Kendoji, temper that with what I am getting in return. I had an N70 when they 1st appeared and the battery life was atrocious (as was much of that phone), after which I went back to non-smartphones for a number of years on the basis that I got what I wanted at the time (e.g. decent camera, call quality, music capability, etc) with good battery life.

Upvote 0
I've just gotten used to plugging up my phone every night. It doesn't bother me too much.

If someone were to offer me two phones, one with a single day battery life but better quality phone, and the other that could go two or three days but is not as good as the other phone ... well it'd be a no-brainer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones